Sugar free in 09 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love this thread!!!
I went sugar free a few months ago... for 21 days. I felt great, but once I gave in on something small I was back to square one. I have tons of candita symptoms, mood swings, mental fogs, adrenal fatigue, and sugar makes my physically very sick. I need to stop again. At this point though, I quit the unnatural and processed sugars and eat as much fruit as I want. When I have a bad craving, I have herbal tea with honey, dried fruit, or molasses milk. It never occurred to me to cut out natural sugars though. When I was cutting back on sweets (went from nothing but sweets to only some natural ones), I became hypoglycemic, lost 15 lbs in 2 months, and was overall fragile and weak. My doctor told me the low sugar diet was bad esp cause I'm BFing, and to eat more sugar of any kind. Since then I've been eating lots of bad sugar, and I'm not shaky or hypoglycemic anymore, but I'm back to being sick with candita symptoms. I want cut out all unnatural sugar again, with the support of this thread. I'm scared I'm going to gain back the weight I lost, I went from the upper end of normal weight to mid range, but I used to be really thin so I wanted to keep losing till I got back to my old size. Guess I need to be ok with doing it very slowly, with eating consistently healthier and lots of exercise. Anyone else have to be careful w cutting out sugar because of BFing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM

After 6 weeks being sugar free, I had a slipup yesterday, but I got right back on the horse. I am a manager and I had to lay someone off, someone who was like a friend. It really sucked. And when I came home, DH had gotten DD a chocolate chip muffin, and she wanted to share. When I had a stressful day, sugar was ALWAYS the thing I reached for, and the sight of this muffin was too much for me. I only had a little, and I haven't noticed any consequences (i.e. cravings starting back up again).

I only hope that it didn't screw up my detox. The other time I quit sugar for a long time, my extra weight melted off after I detoxed about 6 weeks. I didn't quit sugar to lose weight either time, but it's true that I would feel better if I could get rid of this extra weight. It's hard on my arthritic joints. (I have about 20 extra pounds). Anyway, the thought that I might have bought myself another 6 weeks feels both depressing and ridiculous (as in, there's no way that 3 bites of a muffin would have done that) to me.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#93 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM

ann06:its shocking huh!how much hidden sugar there is.
on the chromium:i take 500 mcg 2x a day.one at waking and one around 5:00pm
i really really see a huge difference in myself. it helps a lot with sugar & carb cravings because your body isn't all starving for sugar to balance you blood sugar out. my health food store guy told me the other day that they are making it illegal to sell it in 500 mcg doses now though (no idea why) but that now they are only available in 200mcg doses, so you would have to take either 400mcg 2x or 6oomcg 2x daily. i bought two bottles of 500 though, so it should last me a while.im in canada, so im not sure what its like in the USA or other places.

aiti:welcome!

Quote:
mommajb Here is a thought for those of you baking for your children... If you feel so much better sugar free might they not also? To clarify, I am not taking my children sugar free but I hope to get my house most of the way there. So much sugar happens in our kids diet today that I don't feel I need to add to it. I prefer plain yogurt and they prefer vanilla and that is okay but the super refined sugar in a food w/o redeeming value (other than calories for growing bodies) is not a great idea. We can better meet their nutritional needs with more whole foods. This is meant to be motivational and food for thought, not lecturing or reprimanding.
i totally agree 100% but im still going to use sugar on occassion. since i know exactly what goes into my kids mouths on a daily basis *my kids are 6 and 3 and 1..( unless my son is swapping his healthy lunches for junk at school which is possible but unlikely because he prefers healthy) i read labels on everything because i dont like sugars, preservatives, colours or certain oils, specificlly hydrogenated ones in our food. we really buy as much fresh veggies and fruits as possible (in season), and grains and food stuffs that aren't processed. so when i bake something with sugar, i am totally concious that im doing it and i think in moderation its okay for my super healthy eating active kids. if i knew that i could eat it in moderation i would too, but because i have food issues im finding it a lot easier to just say no all together. make sunse? no offense taken BTW

Crystal_R: are you eating enough healthy food? protein and stuff? i find if im hungry my mind switches to sugar cravings but like some other posters have said a hot cup of tea and some nuts or nut butter or other protien rich meal or snack ( i need animal protein or nuts expecially) i feel much better. starving yourself because you dont eat sugar is the way to just loose it all together and binge. i know from experience. and maybe quit the tv for a while, till you feel in control of it...i find exercise, even just a short walk outside hepls me get my head out of food land.

Smylingeyz: im BF my 1 year old dd and im not having any issues. i think the sugar ups and downs were a lot worse for me than the stable no sugar that im doing. im not eating any form of sugar, even natural ones for now..still working on the simple carbs, but its getting better day by day.im hypoglycemic. maybe try the chromium i mentioned earlier?
and 21 days is great! i hope that you find your way back to sugar free happiness. having a sick body is no fun at all... it seems like it needs to be a pretty gentle balance for you to heal the yeast and also blood sugar problems. hmm.

laohaire: wow. 6 weeks is amazing! and i think a bit of a muffin on a hard say is totally reasonable. it would be nice if it didn't have to be such an issue with so many of us. i would love to be able to eat a piece of dark chocolate totally guilt and thought free. i hope to get there some day.
6 weeks detox. interesting. i was thinking more in the lines of a week, but i feel like my body is still going through a lot of change since quitting sugar.

anyone else having a lot of headaches? im having a ton since quitting sugar, but they also coincide with my fertility returning, so im not sure which it is..not sure if its a detox thing or if i should be worried.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#94 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 PM

wendyland and newmama: thank you for the support. its hard to be open about stuff like food issues and childhood stuff.its one of those shame things that isnt an easy or comfortable thing to be honest about but i feel really supported here which is really helpful and appreciated. wendy: its pretty eye opening realising these things, isnt it? im sorry that you have stuff going on with this too. its really hard.

newmama welcome back again! happy almost birthday! and i look forward to hearing about your sygar free days to come

ETA: i started on jan 27th, so im 23 days in and 99% sugar free. ive had a few slight slipups but im doing really well.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#95 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
wendyland and newmama: thank you for the support. its hard to be open about stuff like food issues and childhood stuff.its one of those shame things that isnt an easy or comfortable thing to be honest about but i feel really supported here which is really helpful and appreciated. wendy: its pretty eye opening realising these things, isnt it? im sorry that you have stuff going on with this too. its really hard.

newmama welcome back again! happy almost birthday! and i look forward to hearing about your sygar free days to come

ETA: i started on jan 27th, so im 23 days in and 99% sugar free. ive had a few slight slipups but im doing really well.
Mom issues are hard. I actually came to the point where I was ok with my relationship with my mom. About a month after I came to the realization that I had forgiven my mom for MY issues, she died. I am glad that I didn't have any baggage with her. Of course, there are a tons of things I wish I could say to her. I've pretty much said all of those things to her in spirit. I believe that we still have a connection.

Also, that's great that you've made it this long. I've been having trouble being sugar free since the weekend. We went to the mall last night and I had half of a 7 layer bar. Then, my husband had 2 cookies. At least I abstained from those. I'm reading a Candida yeast book. I'm going to start preparing to do a yeast free diet.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#96 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

It's great to see more people on the thread!

laohaire: I'm sure the muffin won't have much effect. If it does, then you'll remember next time you want to have some sweets. I had some treats this weekend for valentines and now it's really hard to stop. I think I'm going to have a tough couple days cutting it out again.

Smylingeyz: I'm not Bfing now, but I was when I quit sugar last year. I didn't have any problems with BFing and cutting out sugar. I also think I have problems with candida. Reoccuring yeast infections, mood swings, and major brain fog. I'm reading the complete candida yeast book. (can't remember exact name) I'm going to start following the diet once I figure out what we can eat and how to plan meals around that.

mommajb: I don't take any offense, either. I rarely baked for them before, but I did buy cookies sometimes. Most of their sugar consumption comes from school and friends (birthday parties, girl scouts, etc...).

#97 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 02:56 PM

I have a question for you all... Has anyone else had a problem with skin breakouts during the "detox" phase? I am breaking out like crazy! I seem to remember this happening the last time I gave up sugar, also. What is the reason for it?

Frazzled Mama to DD 7, DS 5, DS 2
#98 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think I did breakout when I stopped sugar. Surprisingly, because I break out all the time. I can say that I've only gotten 1 pimple since I've been off sugar. (Even during the times of the month that I usually get them)

Maybe it's die off from candida not getting fed sugar?

#99 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 11:33 PM

I'm doing pretty good- and my skin is looking wonderful, so that is wonderful motivation.

I am going to a work thing this weekend, an afternoon tea, so I'm so worried! I think I'm going to bring a dish, so I won't be too tempted.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#100 of 198 Old 02-18-2009, 11:44 PM

OK, I'm glad you ladies have great skin going on, why is mine a hot mess?

I think it's a detoxing thing and I'm sure it will get better.

I do feel a lot better already though. I have been waking up clear-headed and that's been wonderful!

I should clarify that I haven't completely cut out ALL sugar, because I have learned the hard way that for me, that is a recipe for binging. I have, however, drastically reduced my sugar intake, with a little room for occasional sweets. I'm also cutting back on carbs and most processed foods. I do eat fruit. I like all the antioxidants and other good stuff in it.

So I guess I'm "mostly" sugar-free... hope I still fit in here though!

Frazzled Mama to DD 7, DS 5, DS 2
#101 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 12:10 AM

Hey everyone! I've been skimming this thread the past few days while contemplating ways I could cut refined and added sugars from my diet. I'm very inconsistent-- I'll put agave nectar in my oatmeal at breakfast and then eat an ice cream sundae with hot fudge and marshmallow after dinner. *cough*

I have a random sort of question, and I'm hoping that since you all seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, maybe you could help me figure this out! It's a touch TMI (I'm also fresh from the TTC forums, so my TMI meter is way broken now, lol) but hear me out

My pee has been really, really cloudy. (I promise this is relevant, LOL .) Then, yesterday, I noticed it was clear-- after I'd avoided sugar all day long! Today I ate cereal with added sugar and Fig Newtons without noticing, and now it's cloudy again. Buh? Does sugar cause this? Or do I secretly have diabetes? *frets*

#102 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 AM

Aiti- My skin did a total freak out at first- seriously, it was painfully embarrassing! But thankgoodness that it is better now.

oh- and I'm also doing fruit, and a very small amount of sugar- in the form of honey, etc.

#103 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 AM

Thanks MamaFern for the infor

Quote:
on the chromium:i take 500 mcg 2x a day.one at waking and one around 5:00pm
i really really see a huge difference in myself. it helps a lot with sugar & carb cravings because your body isn't all starving for sugar to balance you blood sugar out. my health food store guy told me the other day that they are making it illegal to sell it in 500 mcg doses now though (no idea why) but that now they are only available in 200mcg doses, so you would have to take either 400mcg 2x or 6oomcg 2x daily.
My Dr told me to take it for the sugar cravings, but I did not ask how much. So I was taking 200 mcg daily. No wonder I did not feel any difference.

Aiti
Quote:
I should clarify that I haven't completely cut out ALL sugar, because I have learned the hard way that for me, that is a recipe for binging. I have, however, drastically reduced my sugar intake, with a little room for occasional sweets. I'm also cutting back on carbs and most processed foods. I do eat fruit. I like all the antioxidants and other good stuff in it.
ME too. I tried that yesterday and I got a bad headache and even the shakes.....so I started eating.... and eating .... and eating. And this morning I'm really mad at myself.

I'm glad everyone is posting, because I learn for all of you.
#104 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM

Hi all! I just wanted to say hi again, since I've been reading but not posting on this thread. I've been doing great this week! The only sugar I've had is a tiny bit of honey in my herbal tea and a tiny bit in my buckwheat cereal yesterday. (Oh, and Monday night I had a few brownies, but they're GONE now!) I really have felt better, hopefully I can keep this up. I came to the realization that I HAD to do this when I started getting a yeast infection last week. I have known for a few weeks that my candida syptoms were back, but last Thursday I could feel that familiar itchy yeast infection sneaking itself in, and I was so upset! And so I decided to go sugar free. I really really don't want to use the OTC meds to get rid of it so I'm trying to do it with yogurt, garlic, and drinking lots of kefir. Anyone else with yeast problems? Any other great ideas for me?

Anyways, just wanted to share my good report. Oh, and my SIL gave me a yogurt maker over the weekend and last night I made my first successful batch of creamy plain yogurt! Yay!
#105 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 PM

hey girls, just found this thread. I am on the no-sugar in 09 kick too. I am on day 4 and oh my god, the cravings are killing me, especially when there is junk in the house staring me in the face. DH is home today and I am going to ask him to rid the cabinets. I had to eat two lunches yesterday, I was so hungry and lightheaded, but today I feel like a new woman. I was never a big sugar absuer, but my morning Ensure, and afternoon fruitibu are not good, and now gone! This is all in addition to trying to be more paleo/TF with my eating and cooking. What are you all doing with fruit? I can't see giving up fruit as a regular part of my diet

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#106 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 PM

hey all I think I haven't posted in a while. After 3 months or so of sugarfree I had a slipup=- my period came and I gave in a bit and well it took me a couple of weeks to get completely back on track- I was trying to go back to moderation, but that doesn't work for me. Anyway, so starting Sunday I am back off- I felt like total poop Sunday and Monday, but have gotten better since then and don't quite have the fatigure and headache that I did. My personal plan is this- I am best grain free as well, I do fruit, but low sugar ones- melons, grapefruit and berries maybe. I let myself have some things that have some sugar,but limited amounts- like I had some ketchup on my meatloaf- but only a small amount. Things that really get to me- are baked goods(even if homemade- all natural). I cannot do chocolate very well either as I totally binge.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#107 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 PM

beantownbaby= I try to keep mostly TF / paleo as well. When I first started the candida diet - in oct or nov I think I gave up all fruit for 2-3 months and for certain period even cut certain vegetables- ie carrots and beets- When I added them back I only did grapefruit. I have found now I can do melons and berries ok- but apples are too much sugar (even balanced w/ some protein and fat).

I cannot stand to have junk food in the house hardly myself- especially the first hard days or week.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#108 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM

Well here I go... day 1. I got so sick last night from eating sugar I know it's time to get off it again. I hate this part... the next few days are the worst for cravings. Wish me luck! I've done it before so I know I can do it somehow! My sugar craving literally turn me into something like a sugar-eating hulk though : - guess it's the candita. Now off to distract myself with some yummy tea...
#109 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 PM

CrunchyMama - Oh crud. I just bought beets and carrots to make dinner, thinking I was being all good and paleo with my root veggies. My breakfast is usually a hard boiled egg, banana, clementine, and apple. What should I eat?

I am hitting the wall here at work and all I have to get by on is walnuts. I have a headache and am lightheaded again. Someone fedex me a steak ASAP!

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#110 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM

I wouldn't worry so much about the beets and carrots- I just went super strict for awhile. I eat a fair amount of carrots now as it is a reasonably cheap and easy veggie to snack on- I also eat a boatload of nuts! Do you have vending machines at work- you could get some plain potato chips the carbs might help you get through more- not necessarily healthy but on the detox period sometimes you do what you gotta do!

#111 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM

I was just reading that when we are hungry we crave sugar because it is the fatest way to get the energy. It was suggested that controlling hunger by eating regularly would help with sugar cravings. Given that I love to eat this might work for me.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#112 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajb View Post
I was just reading that when we are hungry we crave sugar because it is the fatest way to get the energy. It was suggested that controlling hunger by eating regularly would help with sugar cravings. Given that I love to eat this might work for me.
Whoa, there are so many posts today! I did much better today. I went too long today between eating. I was in a meeting that went past my normal lunch time. By the time my co-worker and I got to lunch, I was feeling low blood sugar and got a sweet tea. And I just had a piece of 72% dark chocolate.

I do think that eating more often helps. Especially when we're first off the sugar.

#113 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Well, I'm on day one, and I think I did pretty well. I did have a roll with lunch (I try to be mostly grain-free) and a Zevia soda tonight (it's sugar-free with zero calories, sweetened with stevia), but compared to the small pan of brownies or half a batch of cookies I'd been eating before I did pretty well.

I want to wean myself off the soda eventually, because even though they say it's all-natural I have a hard time believing it. But baby steps...

Also, on the fruit, I'm still doing it in my morning smoothie (homemade coconut milk yogurt, banana and misc. frozen fruit). Again, next to baked sugary goods I don't think it's so bad. And I can't do eggs or dairy right now (in addition to being gluten-free) so I kind of feel like my options are limited. And I hope to start adding some green juice to that to make it even healthier.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#114 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 PM

New Mama, can I ask about your homemade coconut milk yogurt? That sounds awesome! I just made my first yogurt last night and it turned out really good, and I was thinking about coconut milk today and wondering how I could work more of it into my diet, this sounds perfect. Do you make it just like regular yogurt? Can I use plain yogurt as a starter? Mmmmmm, now I'm craving coconut!
#115 of 198 Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmeg View Post
New Mama, can I ask about your homemade coconut milk yogurt? That sounds awesome! I just made my first yogurt last night and it turned out really good, and I was thinking about coconut milk today and wondering how I could work more of it into my diet, this sounds perfect. Do you make it just like regular yogurt? Can I use plain yogurt as a starter? Mmmmmm, now I'm craving coconut!
I got the recipe here. It didn't work the first time I did it because I didn't mix the tapioca starch in thoroughly enough. But the last two times it turned out fabulous!

#116 of 198 Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 AM

Hey New Mama, I'm on day 1 too... did pretty good. Craving are getting pretty bad though. Doing it with my sister, hoping it'll be easier that way.
#117 of 198 Old 02-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smylingeyz View Post
Hey New Mama, I'm on day 1 too... did pretty good. Craving are getting pretty bad though. Doing it with my sister, hoping it'll be easier that way.

#118 of 198 Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM

I baked bread yesterday, and it has a little bit of sugar in it, but I'm ok with that. I think I'm ready to slowly let myself have a bit of sugar here and there.

I feel very proud of myself- everything I am eating for snacks is much healthier, and that was my problem. I don't even crave candy hardly at all. I'm really proud of myself for all that. This balance is really feeling nice. I've also lost a total of 4 lbs since I started this! I would like to loose about 3-5 more, and I'm going to stick with it untill I do!

#119 of 198 Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I got the recipe here. It didn't work the first time I did it because I didn't mix the tapioca starch in thoroughly enough. But the last two times it turned out fabulous!
Thanks! That looks so yummy. Does anyone know if I could use a regular dariy yogurt starter for this, or maybe even just plain yogurt, if I don't have a dairy free? Or does it need to be dairy free specifically to culture coconut milk? Thanks!

Today is going good so far. I had cornmeal mush for breakfast with a scoop of butter and a tiny spoonful of honey. And then a kefir smoothie with berries, a banana, and spinach. It really satisfies my sweet tooth, and I put a bit of 100% grape juice in it today, just because I had some. And for lunch, leftover mashed potatoes fried up into a little patty and two eggs. Yum! I'm all about butter and eggs when I'm craving sugar, seems to do the trick!
#120 of 198 Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

I thawed out some frozen wild blueberries last night with some pineapple chunks. It tasted so good. Way better than most sugar treats. I still haven't gone a whole day without sugar for awhile. At least it's been minimal.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page