Sugar free in 09 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 198 Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we're having a bonfire tonight- complete with s'mores ( I got kosher marshmellos even- weeks ago) and I'm going to have just one single s'more. ONE, so help me!

my hubby is not good for my proper nutrition!

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#122 of 198 Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmeg View Post
Thanks! That looks so yummy. Does anyone know if I could use a regular dariy yogurt starter for this, or maybe even just plain yogurt, if I don't have a dairy free? Or does it need to be dairy free specifically to culture coconut milk? Thanks!
I'm pretty sure a dairy starter would be fine. The woman who runs that website is dealing with food intolerances (as am I) which is why she specifies non-dairy starter.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#123 of 198 Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 AM

Argh, this is so hard! All I want right now is a huge piece of chocolate cake with ice cream. I'm not hungry b/c I just had a big dinner with tons of protein and veggies so I have no idea what is wrong with me. Thank goodness it's too cold to go and get cake lol.

obstruct livery vehicles

#124 of 198 Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriam_bat_avraham View Post
My pee has been really, really cloudy. (I promise this is relevant, LOL .) Then, yesterday, I noticed it was clear-- after I'd avoided sugar all day long! Today I ate cereal with added sugar and Fig Newtons without noticing, and now it's cloudy again. Buh? Does sugar cause this? Or do I secretly have diabetes? *frets*
I would think it could be related. Candida overgrowth(yeast from sugar) is correlated w/ UTIs.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#125 of 198 Old 02-21-2009, 11:38 AM

I am feeling SOOOOO much better. I haven't been 100% but nothing processed and no big carb binges and no grains. I had a bit of raw honey last night w/ my popcorn but that was it- I couldn't eat very much though as it was too much sweet.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#126 of 198 Old 02-21-2009, 01:06 PM

welcome to all of you newbies. the first few days are the hardest but if you stick with it it does get better!

i took a trip to town on Thursday and i ordered a sandwich at a little cafe. it had mayo on it, i didn't even think about it till i took a bite &the bread probably also had sugar in it (it was baked eggplant and veggies on home made bread. so yummy!)...and later that day my sister and i had Chinese food made by local folks. i had to have a wee bit of plum sauce, but im okay with that too. later when i was letting my kids have icecream i wanted to eat a bit but i didnt. if i can decide what tiny bits of sugar to eat and not be compulsive when i want something i feel like im really on my way to healthier eating habits.

i also found a great book on binge eating at a thrift shop in town. i havnt read it yet but from the back it sounds very holistic. its all about the mind body connection and written by a european psychotherapist/nutritional councellor. ill give the title when i get this baby off my boob.

newmama, thanks for the yogurt recipe! it sounds wonderful

rebirth, how did the bonfire go?

wendy..how are you?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#127 of 198 Old 02-21-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm good! Having a good day today. I tried Quinoa for the first time today. I think I need to find a good recipe. I thought I'd try it as a replacement for oatmeal. It has a weird smell that I don't like. I read that I should toast it first for better flavor. I ended up eating it with agave, cinnamon, and soymilk. It was edible, but I'm sure there are better ways to eat it.

I went to Barnes and noble today and didn't have dessert. Whew! They did have a bunch of games for 75% off. I bought some to give out as gifts when I need it.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#128 of 198 Old 02-21-2009, 10:31 PM

I very much enjoyed my one smore, and was proud of my restraint. My favorite pants were loose this morning still- so I didn't blow it too bad! I'm eating Stoneground oat and flaxseed crackers with flax seeds and egg salad right now, I'm doing really well with healthy snacking.

Mama Fern- you did great to resist the ice cream! that must have been tough. It sounds like we're at the same place re: moderation.

#129 of 198 Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
I'm good! Having a good day today. I tried Quinoa for the first time today. I think I need to find a good recipe. I thought I'd try it as a replacement for oatmeal. It has a weird smell that I don't like. I read that I should toast it first for better flavor. I ended up eating it with agave, cinnamon, and soymilk. It was edible, but I'm sure there are better ways to eat it.

I went to Barnes and noble today and didn't have dessert. Whew! They did have a bunch of games for 75% off. I bought some to give out as gifts when I need it.

wendy, did you rinse the quinoa first? it really needs it. i usually soak it for a few minutes, drain and rinse and do that again. it contains a natural insecticide which gives it a bitter taste. if well rinsed it should taste great. also the rinse water is handy for gardens and houseplants! just spritz on to keep buggies away.
ive never eaten quinoa as a sweet dish, i use it like i would couscous or rice in savory meals. but i have heard of it as hot cereal. im just not big on hot cereals in general. its very good for you though!!

for the no dessert.

rebirth, thats fantastic. im all about moderation, but i really am striving to be sugar free as much as possible. i think once in a while a bit if sugar in something, but im not going to be doing the cake or icecream thing for a very long while yet. its just still too emotionally wired, you know?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#130 of 198 Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 PM

oh..i wanted to add that something ive been finding super helpful is keeping my hands busy. i knit and ive taken up sewing by hand and i find that im so into the detail it really keeps my mind of eating in general.

Quote:

#131 of 198 Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

MamaFern, thanks for the info about quinoa. I didn't rinse it because the box didn't tell me to. I'm going to try again and rinse this time. I like the tip about saving the water to spray plants. Great idea! I like that it's so high in protein.

#132 of 198 Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM

MamaFern- thanks for the quinoa Advice from me too! i'm going to try some next time I'm at the store. WE love couscous, so it sounds great!

#133 of 198 Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebirth View Post
MamaFern- thanks for the quinoa Advice from me too! i'm going to try some next time I'm at the store. WE love couscous, so it sounds great!
yup yup!

so after much thought ive decided to go all out and do a 6 week vegan/low grain(and only whole grains..no bread ect)/low salt/no sugar (of course) thing. its based on the eat to live diet kind of thing. i want to do an elimination diet, and this is very similar. i went to town and stocked up on nuts and seeda and rice milk and veggies and fruit. im kind of excited. i know it will be hard not eating dairy but otherwise i think i will be okay. after the 6 weeks im planning to re-introduce dairy, meat and maybe a few more grain products. its going to be a one day at a time thing for me, but this is the first time that i feel like i could really do this in a healthy way. i was vegan for years as a young adult but i ate badly anyways. lots of pasta and stuff like that. so yeah. give me strength to do this!!

Quote:

#134 of 198 Old 02-23-2009, 06:31 PM

i had a sugar binge last night. I don't even know why, but once I started I just could. not. stop. At least I'm doing a lot better today, but still that was ridiculous.

obstruct livery vehicles

#135 of 198 Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM

hey crystal i know this too well. i haven't been binging these days ..on sugar anyways. i did have a bad day a while ago where i ate a whole lot of pasta. in some ways it helped me feel like i dont need to do that anymore. i just felt so yucky and unhappy after. it was pretty much just as bad. im sorry that cutting sugar makes you feel like binging. its a hard thing and a delicate balance.

i wanted to share a book that i found recently and its been really helpful to me. its called "breaking the spell of binge eating" by joanna kortink its a wholistic aproach to binge eating and it has some great exercises at the end of each chapter. its a lot about the deep reasons for binge eating rather than just saying "stop" i would really highly recomend it. i found it at my local thrift shop, but i know you can get it on amazon. i looked it up to see if she has any other books. she has a website too. o havnt checked it out yet.

its a struggle ive been in for a long time and im really hoping to heal myself of it.

Quote:

#136 of 198 Old 02-23-2009, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
yup yup!

so after much thought ive decided to go all out and do a 6 week vegan/low grain(and only whole grains..no bread ect)/low salt/no sugar (of course) thing. its based on the eat to live diet kind of thing. i want to do an elimination diet, and this is very similar. i went to town and stocked up on nuts and seeda and rice milk and veggies and fruit. im kind of excited. i know it will be hard not eating dairy but otherwise i think i will be okay. after the 6 weeks im planning to re-introduce dairy, meat and maybe a few more grain products. its going to be a one day at a time thing for me, but this is the first time that i feel like i could really do this in a healthy way. i was vegan for years as a young adult but i ate badly anyways. lots of pasta and stuff like that. so yeah. give me strength to do this!!
That's great! I quit dairy today. I'm going to do a similar diet to you starting next Monday. I need more time to get to the store. It's a little less than 6 weeks until my birthday. I'm going to make it until at least then. I want dessert on my birthday. Or I may feel so good, I won't even want dessert. I'm following a candida cleanse diet. I'm also hoping that there will be some weight loss along the way.

#137 of 198 Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM

I hope you do not mind that I join you all. I have never been good with eliminating anything from my diet until recently so that is a major step for me. : I have managed to eliminate soda, caffeine, and dairy products because I am nursing and DD is pretty sensitive. The soda alone is huge! I have been trying to eliminate sugar, especially refined sugar because I consume so much sugar. I have tried to eliminate sugar more times than I can count, but since I have been so successful with the other things I thought this would be a good time. I am not really sure where to start.

Want a laugh....As I type this my son is counting the "happy guys" (smile icons) on the page. 1 happy guy, 2 happy guys..."mom I LOVE all the happy guys" Too cute!
#138 of 198 Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofPL View Post
I hope you do not mind that I join you all. I have never been good with eliminating anything from my diet until recently so that is a major step for me. : I have managed to eliminate soda, caffeine, and dairy products because I am nursing and DD is pretty sensitive. The soda alone is huge! I have been trying to eliminate sugar, especially refined sugar because I consume so much sugar. I have tried to eliminate sugar more times than I can count, but since I have been so successful with the other things I thought this would be a good time. I am not really sure where to start.

Want a laugh....As I type this my son is counting the "happy guys" (smile icons) on the page. 1 happy guy, 2 happy guys..."mom I LOVE all the happy guys" Too cute!

Welcome! The happy guys are cute! Eliminating dairy would be big for me. It's almost equal with sugar on my list, but I'm going to quit next week for at least 6 weeks. Once I'm successful at one thing, I gain a lot more confidence to try other things.

#139 of 198 Old 02-24-2009, 04:52 PM

welcome Momofpl

wendy, yeah. dairy is hard. its not one of my binge foods, but its certainly a comfort food. i wanted to quit cold turkey (i hate that phrase..dont know why) but yesterday didnt really quite make it easy. im house sitting for a few days and after a busy day at home, getting all of my kids and dog and stuff we needed there on foot i may add.. in snow. i was sooo hungry. i stuck with my no wheat, which is actually a way bigger issue for me. bread especially. but i did end up eating a bit of cheese for a quick protein fix.i should have opened a can of chicpeas like i did this am, but i didnt. but all in all my eating was very healthy yesterday. i had brown rice and steamed veggies with nutritional yeast and cayanne pepper for breakfast. that lasted me most of the day. i ate some raw almonds and drank lots of tea..i was cold yesterday all day too (can you binge on herbal tea?) im totally spacing out on my dinner. but i know it was healthy today i ate some dairy at breakfast as well. i think after my saying i was going to go all out ETL i decided im more likely to stick to it if i cut out one thing at a time. wheat is more harmful to me than dairy so after a few days wheat free ill do the dairy.

Quote:

#140 of 198 Old 02-24-2009, 05:02 PM

I'm intending to give up sugar - and have been here and there with it, but trending toward giving it up. I have the hardest times with special events. It's funny because I never was big into sweet things, until Mr Toona.

For me, I'm giving up candy, sweets, drinks etc with sugar or HFCS. I'm still ok using honey.

signature currently in transition
#141 of 198 Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
i wanted to share a book that i found recently and its been really helpful to me. its called "breaking the spell of binge eating" by joanna kortink its a wholistic aproach to binge eating and it has some great exercises at the end of each chapter. its a lot about the deep reasons for binge eating rather than just saying "stop" i would really highly recomend it. i found it at my local thrift shop, but i know you can get it on amazon. i looked it up to see if she has any other books. she has a website too. o havnt checked it out yet.
Thanks for the book recommendation. I'm going to see if my library has it,

obstruct livery vehicles

#142 of 198 Old 02-25-2009, 03:43 PM

I'm subbing so I can come back to read the whole thread! We are trying to eliminate sugar from our diet.
#143 of 198 Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 PM

welcome to our newcomers!!!

I'm doing very well with the moderation, although I have started biting my nails- I quit about 8 months ago after biting them for over 14 years. It was a struggle to give up, to put it lightly, and I'm nearly in tears over biting them again, and so ashamed of myself. Plus they hurt, I've bit then so short. I gained weight when I quit, and I'm back down to my biting nails weight.... so I don't know if that is a connection. I'm also REALLY craving junk- I don't know if I'm detoxing, or what. I'm going to cut back down, and hope that helps.

#144 of 198 Old 02-26-2009, 04:10 PM

I'm glad to find this thread!

I always struggle with sugar, and do so much better when I've eliminated it. I cut sugar out about 10 days ago (and for me, it has to be all types of sugar and sugar-alternatives). I realized I was just replacing sugars with raisins and white bread (homemade sourdough, but still), so on monday I started the South Beach diet. I actually wanted to check out the book sugar busters, but my library didnt' have that, and it did have south beach, which seems like it will do the same thing for helping me break the carb/sugar cravings and addiction.

Plus, I'm losing weight, which I certainly can afford to do!:
#145 of 198 Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
Welcome! The happy guys are cute! Eliminating dairy would be big for me. It's almost equal with sugar on my list, but I'm going to quit next week for at least 6 weeks. Once I'm successful at one thing, I gain a lot more confidence to try other things.
Thanks. Dairy is very difficult for me too! Especially living in Wisconsin there is dairy and cheese everywhere. I love my cheese and cannot believe how much I was eating. I did that for my daughter. I have been more successful than I ever thought so this is the right time to give sugar a try.

I have done very well with sugar for the last few days (including sweetners like splenda, sweet and low etc...) and they have been very stressful days that I would normally turn to sugar. I have had some pretty strong cravings, but eating fruit has actually helped me. I actually passed up cookies and brownies in the teacher's lounge yesterday and today! My triggers seem to be refined sugars, white bread, cookies, treats of that sort and soda. I wonder if it helped that I cut out caffeine and soda prior to trying sugar. I used to drink diet soda and seemed to trigger more cravings. My cravings for soda are still fairly strong when I am stressed. Eating a better breakfast has helped me too and I have been eating fruit with it. I have been trying to look at the ingredients of anything processed...I am a bit overwhelmed about what I should eat and what I should avoid. There is so much sugar/high fructose corn syrup in everything. Wow.
#146 of 198 Old 02-27-2009, 02:07 AM

One more thing. I found that ebook on firstourselves.com that was suggested. That is helpful, thanks!
#147 of 198 Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofPL View Post
One more thing. I found that ebook on firstourselves.com that was suggested. That is helpful, thanks!

ive been readfing it and doing the exercises. its really helping me.

Quote:

#148 of 198 Old 03-01-2009, 11:54 AM

Wow, the last two days the cravings were very strong and difficult to resist! I did it though. This is amazing that I can even do this one day!!! I am not craving cookies, cake, stuff like that, but it is the white breads, pancakes that I want so badly. I have to tell you that my pancakes usually have chocolate chips in them. I guess it shows how much I ate. All I keep thinking is thank goodness I gave up soda before I began doing this! I know this will get better. Now I have to ask everyone...What do you do when these cravings hit? Sometimes I think I am eating sugar for other reasons like stress (my children have been sick this weekend) or because I am lonely. What are some things/activities you do to get your mind off of sugar? Last night I decided to read that sugar ebook to remind myself why I am doing this in the first place.
#149 of 198 Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 PM

to get my mind off it I allow myself a small snack, like homemade trail mix, that has some carbs and a little sweetness (from fruits). I put it in a bowl, which is important for portion control- I have only a small bit, usually less then 1/2 a cup. Then I do some sort of hand intensive activity, like knitting, writing/doing work, folding laundry, organizing/ cleaning. Then if the craving is still there I have a glass of milk or plain yogurt with fruit, and do something else. I just keep distracting myself and substituting a bad craving for a better alternative.

Cooking something healthy helps too, but if your kitchen is full of sugars it's best to stay away.

#150 of 198 Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM

I've been sugar-free for about a month now and I feel a lot better for it. I've also been gluten-free during that time. Great things have happened. My face looks so much younger and I don't have a sunken cheek look anymore. Dh comments all the time how good I look. My weight has stabilized whereas I used to tend toward losing weight and looking unhealthy, I now have a weight I really like and am ready to buy some hot jeans, lol. I don't lose or gain any weight, just a bit of PMS bloat.

I cheated the other day and had a half of a Medjool date for dessert. It was heavenly, like caramel. I felt ok afterward. I started drinking diet Dr Pepper, one every afternoon, but the Splenda or whatever is in it makes me nauseous so I looked for an alternative and found a stevia-sweetened soda called Zevia. You can order it on Amazon, or your local natural food store might carry it. I really liked it. It's a bit spendy though. I picked up the book Potatoes not Prozac which has helped me enormously to cut sugar out of my life. The main focus of the book is eliminating sugar and balancing your blood sugar so you cut out cravings and alcohol cravings, and balance your moods and keep depression at bay. Highly recommended.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page