My soup is too spicy! - Mothering Forums
Nutrition and Good Eating > My soup is too spicy!
riaketty's Avatar riaketty 03:49 PM 01-23-2009
I think I added too much cayenne pepper/red peppers. That's the only 'spice', really, that was added.

It's a slow cooker soup and it still has 6 hours... will it mellow out as it cooks? Or is there something else I can add that will offset the spice?

cristeen's Avatar cristeen 03:59 PM 01-23-2009
Any dairy product will offset the spice, or any carb (potato, rice, noodles).
jighead's Avatar jighead 05:57 PM 01-23-2009
Spices and flavors seem to blend more in the slow cooker than mellow. You might get away with adding some parsley or cilantro to help with the heat. Seconding the dairy recommendation too. Serve with generous helpings of cheese and/or sour cream on top, or add some milk/cream to the soup prior to serving.
treemom2's Avatar treemom2 12:44 AM 01-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Any dairy product will offset the spice, or any carb (potato, rice, noodles).
. . .I've found things that are too spicy just get more spicy as they cook. I don't know what kind of soup you made, but coconut milk might also work for mellowing out the spice
Shakti77's Avatar Shakti77 02:58 AM 01-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
. . .I've found things that are too spicy just get more spicy as they cook. I don't know what kind of soup you made, but coconut milk might also work for mellowing out the spice
Yep! I do that too.

Other thing would be to put a small chunk of butter in the soup and let it melt in it. This has tamed the heat and saved my you-know-what many times.
Up