Would you buy bleached flour a financial pinch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need to seriously cut some pennies over the next few months. I usually buy unbleached all purpose and bread flour for nearly $4/bag.

I cook everything from scratch and as such we go through a LOT of flour. Usually 4 bags of bread flour and 2-3 of all purpose, though this past month we've used even more of that.

We have a memberhsip to Sams club and can get all purpose and bread flour in bulk. But it's bleached.

It will save money for us to buy bulk... I've been holding out for a Costco membership because I hear they have unbleached flour. But that wont happen for a while and we'll need flour very soon.

Would you go with bleached for a couple of months to save money, or keep puttng the money out on smaller bags? Is the bleaching process horrible enough that you wouldn't switch temporarily?
#2 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySar View Post
I need to seriously cut some pennies over the next few months. I usually buy unbleached all purpose and bread flour for nearly $4/bag.

I cook everything from scratch and as such we go through a LOT of flour.

Would you go with bleached for a couple of months to save money, or keep puttng the money out on smaller bags? Is the bleaching process horrible enough that you wouldn't switch temporarily?
Would it work to go half and half?
The other thing would be to see you have a natural foods store nearby that iether has or can order 50 lbs sacks of flour for you.
We only use whole wheat and splet, and grind them ourselves.
We got them from our co-op, but we might start ordering from Azure Standard, since we can order more often. The prices are very low, and they carry ground and unground.
Paula

Paula, wife to Steve, mother hen to 38 , busy doing : TTC after 6
#3 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 PM

we buy 25lbs bags from our co op too. But I think if it was only for a few months I probably would, but the quality is different. I know if i'm somewhere and they only have bleached and I use it, I feel like stuff doesn't taste right yk?
#4 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 PM

I would be hesitant to although take that with a grain of salt because I know next to nothing about the process. However, if I needed to cut my budget for a few months and that was the one place I could do it without creating too much of an impact, then yes I would.
#5 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 PM

i also have a membership at sams and have bought the white flour there before.i usually just buy ww at the grocery store but i don't bake as much as you do. i liked the other persons idea of ordering through your natural food store if possible. azure standard is something we are about to try for our flour. they will set up a delivery(drop off point) if your order is 50$. so that could be another option.

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

#6 of 16 Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 PM

I buy cheaper flour for stuff like playdough and papier-mache, but use WW for baking.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 16 Old 01-31-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin_mama View Post
I would be hesitant to although take that with a grain of salt because I know next to nothing about the process. However, if I needed to cut my budget for a few months and that was the one place I could do it without creating too much of an impact, then yes I would.
Ditto.

FWIW, I am able to buy the 5 pound bag of Unbleached AP Flour from Wegmans (Wegmans store brand) for $1.69. I forgot to see where you are from if you are in Wegmans territory or not.

Also, I am able to get Pillsbury Unbleached AP Flour from WalMart: for a little over 2 bucks a bag.

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#8 of 16 Old 01-31-2009, 06:32 PM

Yes I would. I don't know it off the top of my head but the Super Baby Food book has ways to add nutrients to flour. I'd do that.

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#9 of 16 Old 01-31-2009, 10:36 PM

I don't know what state you're in, but my local WinCo has a bulk section, and they have unbleached WW flour for less than prepackaged white flour per pound.
#10 of 16 Old 01-31-2009, 11:11 PM

Well, yes, but my situation is probably not like yours. I bought a bag of bleached white flour at Kroger today because it was the cheapest. DS and I aren't eating flour, anyway. I use it only to make bread and cookies for DH (and company). DH couldn't care less if his flour was bleached. He probably prefers it bleached.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#11 of 16 Old 02-01-2009, 12:55 AM

I've bought the bleached flour when pinching pennies. Sometimes you gotta compromise, and it's only temporary.
#12 of 16 Old 02-01-2009, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey - I'm making cinnamon roles tonight for the morning . .. . and just realized that the recipe called for "unbleached" flout . . . .how : that I never noticed there was a bleached v. unbleached flour before???

OK - so what IS the difference - or more so - the cause for concern with bleached . . . . (just the word sounds gross re food!)

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (7) and BBG (4.5)
#13 of 16 Old 02-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Before I went gluten-free, I'd accidentally used bleached flour a few times. It doesn't taste as good! It gives a "processed, powdery" flavor to all baked goods IMO.

I'd take a look at ALL your flour options. You may be able to find unbleached flour for less than $4 per 5lb bag. Do any of your local stores have unbleached flour in the store brand?

If you do decide to try the bleached flour, I'd go with a single package from Sam's Club (maybe just get the all purpose rather than AP plus the Bread Flour) and see if it makes a huge difference in flavor that you can detect.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#14 of 16 Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I don't know what it is like where you are, but here the store brand of flour has the same price for bleached, unbleached and whole wheat flours in 10 kg bags. It might be worth scouting out a few discount grocery stores to see if you can find one that does this.
#15 of 16 Old 02-02-2009, 01:53 AM

I have had to be very careful with my money as well. I used to use only unbleached white and whole wheat flour, sometimes spelt. With money being tight I have been buying whatever is at Aldi, I am sure it is bleached. We have not died yet. I did start adding whole wheat flour to it though, it makes me feel better lol

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#16 of 16 Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also buy unbleached flour at my local grocery store, usually in the store brand. It usually runs about $3 a bag.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page