Chicken Stock - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to get the crummy food out of our diet. We don't eat very much of it honestly but there are still a few quick and easy prepared food stuffs I hang onto for "convenience", chicken soup being one of them.

But the time has come for me to get the salt/fat/MSG filled "soup" out of my cupboards. So, how do I make chicken stock?

We usually have a roast chicken for dinner every Sunday so I usually have a carcass to work with at least once a week... now what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-31-2009, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi!
Throw it in a pot and cover it with water. Add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar, a stalk or 2 of celery, an onion and 1 or 2 carrots.

I like to add some peppercorns, a couple cloves and a cinnamon stick, or you can do a sprig of rosemary and some bay leaf. Whatever you like.

Bring to a boil, skim off the white scum, and then turn it way down. Let simmer for 6-12 hours. Cool, skim off the fat, and enjoy. It should be kind of jelly-ish.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 15 Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 PM

Oh boy!!! A woman after my own heart. We always make stock after a chicken roast. Mmmmmm....it's to DIE for...nothing like canned or boxed stuff.

Okay...so have your roast chicken.

*Pick all remaining meat off chicken for leftovers or for your soup.
*Throw carcass in a stock pot full of water. If you can get chicken feet, it's even tastier. If it's organic, or you aren't too worried otherwise, make sure the skin goes in, too. It's fattier and a lot more flavorful.
*Cut up some veggies...whatever you have works, but generally speaking, carrots, onion, celery, etc. is good.
*Throw in a few bay leaves and some salt to taste.
*If you already know what you're going to do with the stock later, you can add some of the appropriate spices...the ones that 'age' well when you cook them longer, like a portion of the total pepper and celery seed.
*Bring to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer indefinitely. At least two hours if you're in a big rush, four hours is great. Some people do it overnight, but I hate to cook ALL the goodness out of it....though a lot of the goodies are probably already long gone.

I start with a stock pot that is full to the tip top, and it's 10" diameter and 14" tall. By the time it's done, the steam has depleted the water level to about half.

Strain the piecey parts out...a strainer would work, but I prefer cheesecloth personally. Then, if I'm making soup, I pick out the carrots and put them back in the broth, but also add new, fresh carrots that aren't so mushy. If you want to know where I go from there with soup, let me know. I make some killer chicken soup if I may say so myself.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#4 of 15 Old 01-31-2009, 11:59 PM

:

why do you not want to cook all the nutrition out of the carcass into the stock though? (BTW, there is a HUGE amount of nutrition in a carcass. at three stone hearth they do an overnight boil, and then a SECOND boil. Which is cloudy but good for things where that doesn't matter, and still tasty and nutritious).

I do find that when I make stock from roast chicken carcass, its a tad lacking in fat, so if you have some leftover drippings and fat, add that in too. If you don't, no biggy, but I was taught that the soups no good without that golden fat. (not true, the stock is still very good for you, and tasty, but the chicken fat is wonderful for you, so its great to have it too. plus it tastes so much better).

I think 2 hours is rather short for cooking it, 4 is fine though more is better. If I could, I would do 12, but I never have time for twelve since i have a gas stove and can't leave it on overnight.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#5 of 15 Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 AM

I meant cook all the nutrition out of the stock. Not out of the carcass and into the stock. Sorry I wasnt' more clear. Despite eating a 'normal' diet, I have a pretty strong belief in a lot of raw food theories and thus try not to cook stuff too long.

And, what an excellent point....always throw in the drippings and all that you can scrape off the roasting pan.

#6 of 15 Old 02-01-2009, 01:45 AM

Just wanted to add I always use my crockpot to make stock instead of stovetop. I find it easier and I don't have to watch it as closely when I'm rocking the babe.

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

#7 of 15 Old 02-01-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

MMMMmmmmmmmmm lovely. Thanks for the tips! I'll be coocking up some stock tomorrow night after dinner.
#8 of 15 Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I use a crockpot as well. 24 hours to get all the calcium and nutrients out of the bones and into the stock. We have chicken soup the night it's done (Super Yum!) then freeze the rest for using in recipes and gravies and such.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#9 of 15 Old 02-01-2009, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I use a crockpot as well. 24 hours to get all the calcium and nutrients out of the bones and into the stock. We have chicken soup the night it's done (Super Yum!) then freeze the rest for using in recipes and gravies and such.
Do you bring the stock to a boil on the stove then transfer to the crock pot? What heat setting do you set the crockpot at?
#10 of 15 Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
I meant cook all the nutrition out of the stock. Not out of the carcass and into the stock. Sorry I wasnt' more clear. Despite eating a 'normal' diet, I have a pretty strong belief in a lot of raw food theories and thus try not to cook stuff too long.
Actually, a longer time in the pot means more nutrients are leached out of the bones and into the water. Since the nutrients you're after in bone broth are minerals, you don't really have to worry about losing those to heat like you do with vitamins. You should really cook the bones until they're rubbery.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#11 of 15 Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 PM

Fascinating stuff, snowbunny. I appreciate that. I'll start cooking my stock longer.

#12 of 15 Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I take my leftover chicken carcass plus drippings and put it in my crock pot. Then I add veggie scraps (the peels from carrots, ends of celery, tips from scallions, etc.) and a fresh onion or two if I don't have a lot of veggie scraps that week. A chunk of ginger root anda few peppercorns give good flavor too.

Then I add a splash of ACV, fill to the top with water, and set the crockpot to "medium" for 12-24 hours. Generally I'll do this on Thursday night and then strain the broth on Friday morning and add fresh veggies to the broth (saving carrot peelings for next week's broth) and serve it Friday night (along with a fresh roasted chicken that will be next weeks' soup.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#13 of 15 Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome tips!

Got my stock in the crockpot going now... let you know how it turned out.
#14 of 15 Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 AM

Another way I do it is this:

Put the whole raw chicken in stockpot. Cover with water. Add chopped onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, parsley, thyme and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, let simmer until chicken is cooked. (I like to use golden onions, and leave some of the skins on because it gives the stock a lovely golden color.) Strain everything out. Put in fridge overnight and then skim fat off the top.

I like this method because I end up with great stock and a whole boiled chicken for soup, quesadillas, enchiladas, chicken salad, or just plain for the kids.
#15 of 15 Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 AM

Oh boy!!! A woman after my own heart. We always make stock after a chicken roast. Mmmmmm....it's to DIE for...nothing like canned or boxed stuff.>>>

No kidding.

Anyways, I do like everyone eles. I think everyones tastes are different, different spices, veggies. I usually use carrots, celery, onions whole galic cloves, a bunch of italien spices.

I do not pick ever last piece of chicken or turkey off before going in the pot. when its done, I just take out the pieces of chicken that have no bones and give it to my dogs.
I usually boil, and simmer for many hours.

I have a question though, whats the difference between stock and broth?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page