Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) "slow and steady" support thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 93 Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! I can't wait for the book to get here.

Leigh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 93 Old 04-28-2009, 09:09 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#63 of 93 Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 PM

Ok, I have a question. Although we haven't started yet I thought I'd use up some of our raw milk by making yogurt. I'm going to incubate it 24 hours this time. Do I have to heat it up so far like it says on the pecanbreat website? Or can I leave the milk raw when I add the starter?

Leigh

#64 of 93 Old 04-29-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, raw milk yogurt isn't allowed on the SCD. It would be considered an "experimental" food, to be introduced carefully once you were already fully healed. The reasons for this are:

1) Because of competition between the yogurt starter and the microorganisms in the raw milk (bacteria, yeasts, etc.), the lactose might not be fully broken down.

2) The microorganisms themselves might cause problems for some people. This is also the reason why only certain types of probiotics are allowed.

Kind of a bummer, for those of us who are used to drinking raw milk and kefir, but it does make sense -- and there's a good chance that we'll be able to reintroduce these things some day.

In the meantime, as I understand it, raw butter and cheese are fine.
#65 of 93 Old 05-03-2009, 01:11 PM

I saw that on the website, but it doesn't say that in the book. I wonder why that is?
We aren't on the diet yet, and I have a few gallons of raw milk to use up. I think I'll go ahead and make it that way for now. We did find a source of goat milk pretty close. We plan on trying it out soon.
Oh, and it's $6 a gallon. That's the same as the one place we get raw milk from. (the place we get it from more often is cheaper)

Leigh

#66 of 93 Old 05-04-2009, 05:20 PM

Thought I'd join. I did SCD for about a year but then went off it while I was pregnant because i had horrible adversion to just about every smell and texture that wasn't animals crackers or toast. After the inital year I was doing soo soo soooo much better and was doing fine during the pregancy too but since having ds (almost three months ago) i started having some flare ups ( i have crohn's) and while trying to eat better i started included lots of whole grains (stupid on my part but it sounded like a good idea). anyways i'm back on SCD. I pretty much skipped the intro bit mainly cause all this nursing is making me starving. I might go back and do it later tho.I'm not sure what stage you are on now so I won't post anything about food yet.
#67 of 93 Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 AM

Hi all!

Things have been so crazy busy around here, started a new job, caring for an elderly family member, plus cooking every morsel of food from scratch. hummingmom, how are you doing? Are you getting close to your due date?

I am feeling like we are in a MAJOR rut right now, and I am cooking the same things over and over. We eat a LOT of eggs and hamburger. I feel like the kids need more nutrition, but when I add in things, they have more digestive symptoms. I decided to try enzymes. I started with a tiny part of a capsule of SCD Zyme Prime (by Houston), and was slowly increasing. Then I switched to the Zycarb, which is a broader spectrum one I think, but I didn't mean to, I just got the bags mixed up (they sent me some samples). I think the Zycarb actually helped more, but I had wanted to start the Zyme Prime very slow and introduce others one at a time. But if it helped, maybe I should just go with it.

Anyway, I am feeling like I am in a huge rut, cooking the same things all the time, like all they eat are eggs and hamburger. I need some advice and ideas! Should I start adding in more raw foods? So far they have avocado, bananas, and some limited raw berries. And last week we had salad. We never really got totally to baseline, so I don't always know if things pass for being good or not when I try them. Because sometimes they have good stools and sometimes they still have mushier stools in lots of little pieces. I do think the digestive enzymes are helping though. I think I need to sign up for the enzyme list and read more about how to get the most out of them.

So, any great meal ideas? I have mixed feelings about almond flour. After being on the diet for four months, I need to be able to make them a muffin/cookie type thing every now and then, but they don't seem to digest it very well. Their stool is lighter in color, floats, mushier, and comes out in small pieces. The butternut squash also seems to make them have the mushier/small pieces stools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighann79 View Post
I just ordered the book last night. I'm wanting to for sure get my youngest and my DH on this diet. DD1 and DS will be along for the ride. I also need to be, but wasn't sure if now was a good time to start. I'm 26 weeks pregnant. Does it say anything in the book about starting while pregnant? Or, do you ladies have any advice?
I personally would do it while pregnant, but I probably wouldn't stay on the intro long, and I'd be sure to watch my nutrition. I'd eat lots of mineral-rich bone broth, good fats, and not limit carbs too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingmom View Post
Unfortunately, raw milk yogurt isn't allowed on the SCD. It would be considered an "experimental" food, to be introduced carefully once you were already fully healed. The reasons for this are:

1) Because of competition between the yogurt starter and the microorganisms in the raw milk (bacteria, yeasts, etc.), the lactose might not be fully broken down.

2) The microorganisms themselves might cause problems for some people. This is also the reason why only certain types of probiotics are allowed.

Kind of a bummer, for those of us who are used to drinking raw milk and kefir, but it does make sense -- and there's a good chance that we'll be able to reintroduce these things some day.

In the meantime, as I understand it, raw butter and cheese are fine.

I had wanted to try making raw milk yogurt too, but hadn't because of this. I am going to try coconut yogurt. I keep saying this, just haven't had time to make it yet.

I hope everyone on here is doing well and the diet is helping. My kids are continuing to gain weight, but still have mixed symptoms at times. But overall, things are continuing to get better.
#68 of 93 Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 PM

maybe try adding some cooked veggies? you can also make bread-like stuff from veggies& eggs without nuts. chicken is really versatile. also (unless your totally dairy free) have you tried farmers cheese?
here are some of my fav. scd blogs. i get a ton of inspiration from these and the scd cookbooks (my fav- eat well, feel well by kendall conrad (i'm pretty sure that's the right author name))....
http://milkforthemorningcake.blogspot.com/
http://scdadventures.blogspot.com/
http://nomorecrohns.com/default.aspx
http://www.glassbird.com/scd/recipepreview.html

i have a few more but these are my top go to ones. hope you enjoy as much as i do!:
#69 of 93 Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighann79 View Post
I just ordered the book last night. I'm wanting to for sure get my youngest and my DH on this diet. DD1 and DS will be along for the ride. I also need to be, but wasn't sure if now was a good time to start. I'm 26 weeks pregnant. Does it say anything in the book about starting while pregnant? Or, do you ladies have any advice?
leighann!! You have to check out this blog that mommabear just posted! perfect timing! It's a mama who JUST gave both to SCD twins!! That's so cool!

http://scdadventures.blogspot.com/
#70 of 93 Old 05-08-2009, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all! I'm off to bed, but wanted to let you know that Digestive Wellness currently has deep-discounted pecan flour (with "a little too much skin") on sale for $1.25/lb, or $6.25/5 lb. I've ordered several bags. Hope it's not going to cause us any problems.

We're still only having baked goods a couple of times a week, though I've been thinking about trying to increase the frequency. I've been using a mixture of 1/3 blanched almond flour and 2/3 pecan or walnut flour, and it seems to work very well. The pecan and walnut flours have great taste and nutrition, and seem to be the most digestible for us. The almond flour helps to improve the texture.

Things are pretty busy these days, as I'm preparing to put the children back on the diet, and also trying to get ready for the new baby (due in a month! where did the time go!!!). Right now, I'm attempting to make almost 2 gallons of yogurt in a medium-sized stock pot, inside a large stock pot full of water, sitting on a vintage electric warming plate that we inherited from DH's parents. I just hope this rigged-up contraption doesn't get too hot overnight. I'm going to have nightmares about the bath towel on top catching fire.
#71 of 93 Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 AM

thought i would share this as even though i think its expensive it is very convenient! and she does birthday cakes! every week is 4 different items (listed on homepage or emailed to you). most stuff is made with almond flour....just thought i'd share as i don't remember how i came across it but i think its great she does it.

http://www.scdbakery.com/index.htm
#72 of 93 Old 05-08-2009, 11:31 AM

I love those blogs! Thanks.

xoxoxox

#73 of 93 Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 AM

no problem! i have a few more scd related ones but those are my favs. i just hope that they inspire you too. i know this time around scd has been much easier- i have a handful of tried and true recipes and some cookbooks and blogs to visit when i need some inspiration. this time i'm not thinking about what i can't but what i can and whipping that up to fill my cravings.
things are going well for me i had a few days die off. the hardest thing is that i'm the only one scding and i cook for everyone so all this yummy smelling stuff is like 2 feet from my mouth. but i'm holding strong. keep reminding myself 1 its not good for my tummy 2 i'm getting so much fresher, less additives & packaging and 3 its a step toward self sustainablitiy i can grow/raise all my own food!
#74 of 93 Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM

where is everyone? just want to bump this up,
#75 of 93 Old 05-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Well, we are easing in to it. We won't be doing it fully until some time after the baby is here. I just don't think I can take on that much yet.
We got some goat milk though and I'm making yogurt right now!

Leigh

#76 of 93 Old 05-29-2009, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, SCD folks. Things are in kind of a muddle around here. The new baby is due in a couple of weeks, I have nobody lined up to help (family isn't coming this time), and I'm still having an awful time figuring out what to feed all of us on a day to day basis.

First of all, 5 year old DD1, my skinny minnie, has FINALLY managed to articulate why she doesn't eat much at most meals (which has been an ongoing problem since she was a young toddler). She says that certain foods make her not want to eat later on. I'm not really surprised by the list of offenders... I'd already had suspicions about most of them... but it ties a pretty big knot in my plans to put her back on the SCD:

- Eggs
- Yogurt (but not milk or cheese)
- Chicken
- Tomatoes
- Any fast food
- Pate, liverwurst, bacon

Since she told me about this, I've gone off eggs too -- as a personal experiment, as well as a gesture of support for her -- and confirmed my long-term hunch that I have some degree of intolerance to them, too. They seem to make me tired and irritable. I *think* both of us are probably okay with small amounts of eggs as a minor ingredient in well-cooked dishes (like crunchy cookies, or meatballs in soup), but not in things like SCD pancakes or muffins that are often kind of moist in the middle. In any case, I don't have the time or energy for a lot of experimenting in the kitchen, so our menu has pretty much gone back to the oh-so-thrilling intro diet for now -- with some raw milk and GF grains added in for the non-SCD family members.

Breakfast: DD1 and I have farmer's cheese with French cream, and everyone else has eggs. Or we all have homemade sausage.

Lunch (our main meal): a substantial dish such as pot roast, meatball soup, hamburger patties & vegetables, etc., with plenty of added fat. The children also have raw milk, GF crackers, and fruit. I have yogurt and fruit.

Dinner: the children have oatmeal or another cooked cereal, with butter. I have whatever I can scrounge up... usually lunch or breakfast leftovers.

This is actually working out okay, but I'm feeling kind of discouraged. It's like we're all treading water, KWIM? And I'm no longer feeling motivated to stock the freezer in preparation for the baby's arrival. The stuff we're eating is so plain and easy to cook, it's hardly worth making extra (though I do have a few meat dishes frozen for emergencies). On top of that, I ordered a bunch of nut flour treats from SCD Bakery and Digestive Wellness, and -- after sampling them before putting them in the freezer -- I've decided that I can't really eat them for the time being. Even if I disregard the eggs, the nut flour seems to bother my digestion too much. I'm hoping this will improve after the baby's born.

On the up side, I can eat moderate amounts of salads and raw fruit without problems, so I'm not totally back at square one. Other than the nuts (which, as with momofmine, have been an ongoing issue for us), the eggs are the only major thing I'm avoiding right now. So things are really going very well, other than not being able to have baked goods. I'm hoping to be able to add in lentils and split peas before too long. That would cheer me up; I'd choose a bowl of well-seasoned pea soup over a muffin any day.
#77 of 93 Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingmom View Post
Hi, SCD folks. Things are in kind of a muddle around here. The new baby is due in a couple of weeks, I have nobody lined up to help (family isn't coming this time), and I'm still having an awful time figuring out what to feed all of us on a day to day basis.
Hugs mama! I feel similar, but I don't have a babe due in a couple of weeks! You are doing a stellar job!! We are also still pretty much eating a lot of basics. Really short on time right now, and things are a bit hectic. Plus, the almond flour still seems to not be very well digested by us either.

However, the boys and I have been having Sunbutter lately, and that seems to be okay. So I am hoping it's fine. Actually, their stools seem pretty good this week. I am trying not to overdo it, but they have it about once a day. Too much fiber still sends us over the top though, like I tried letting them have coconut macaroons, and that was not well digested either.

I have also added in some raw salad, I couldn't resist with the farmers mkt back and all those beautiful baby spring greens, and they seem to be okay with that and some raw fruit like berries. But raw apple is not as good, so I am waiting on the other fruits like melons, pears, raw apples etc. I don't know why berries are okay.

The addition of Sunbutter, berries, and some raw salad has been really helpful, and I think we were not getting enough Vit C, and just needed that.
But I do still feel in a rut with the rest of what we are cooking. I have a few SCD cookbooks, but they are all heavy on the nuts and cheese and harder to digest foods. We aren't doing any dairy.

I don't think I'm being very helpful here, other than to just say please feel free to vent here, you are most certainly allowed.

What did you wind up doing about feeling like you needed to up the carbs here closer to your babe's birth?

One thing we are doing a lot is making smoothies. Frozen berries, bananas, coconut oil, raw eggs, sometimes honey, it gets good fats and calories into them. Although to them that is just a "drink" and they are still hungry for a "real" meal. My 9 yr old thinks that if I don't have 5 or 6 things prepared, he hasn't had a "real meal"!

We are headed to the beach for a week and I am taking an entire cooler of frozen meat. I figure I will just buy vegetables and fruits when I get down there. I'm also taking eggs, and sunbutter. No cooking breaks for me on vacation! Too bad we didn't get a chef with the house. Next time...
#78 of 93 Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, momofmine. The time since my last post hasn't exactly been a picnic, but things are starting to look up here. First of all, we've found a college student who's great with the children and can help out through the summer. What a relief.

Secondly, given that I'm 4 or 5 months into the diet and feeling pretty good overall (given my extremely pregnant state), I decided to go ahead and start experimenting with some advanced foods. The very good news is that moderate amounts of dates, raisins, black beans, and lentils all seem to agree with me just fine. In fact, the legumes seem to help my digestion. So I've cut way back on nuts of all kinds, only having an occasional treat of a hazelnut cookie from SCD Bakery, and have started having some favorites like beef and black bean soup a couple of times a week. This adds a huge amount of variety to my diet, which, since cutting back on the eggs, has basically consisted of variations on meat patties and stew.

The children are still off the SCD, and I have no desire to put them back on it until after things have settled down with the new baby. The way that they're eating now -- gluten-free, whole foods, fairly high-fat -- seems to be agreeing with them quite well. Everyone is growing like gangbusters. My formerly teeny-tiny DD2 is now at the 40% for height, and is quite a chunky little miss.

Oh, and I can't forget my latest quick meal discovery: a few Trader Joe's Monterey Jack cheese sticks dipped in a bowl of guacamole. That's been my evening snack for the last few nights. I think I need to go have some right now. :
#79 of 93 Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 PM

That sounds yum!
What ways are you getting the higher fat into them? I feel like both mine are eating lots of protein, and I'm wondering how that is. I saw another post by you somewhere about how a pound of ground beef now can feed your whole family, that is definitely not us! They could probably eat a pound a piece. At least my older child could.
They were gaining initially, but then seemed to plateau a bit. Now my older has gained another pound again just recently. But I do think they need more fat. I have been really hesitant to do dairy again. I have been doing some butter, but not every day.
Glad you have some help!
#80 of 93 Old 06-24-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

New baby is here! He's a cute little guy, 8 lb. 11 oz., 21.5" long. We've just been hanging out and resting for the last little while.

I had a hospital VBAC, which in our area means getting stuck with practically every intervention in the book, just as a matter of policy (or, as DH says, "lawyer repellent"). The way things turned out, I had to spend pretty much the entire labor in the hospital, with all the busybodies doing this thing and that. Since I'm GBS+, they were pumping me full of Ampicillin the whole time. Now I'm having severe pain with nursing (which I've never had with the previous 3 children), and the baby has a suspicious-looking white spot on the roof of his mouth. Argh. I'm going to see my doctor/IBCLC on Friday if things don't get better.

On top of that, DS2 has started having stridor and mucusy poops, just like DS1 did. I'm pretty sure it's dairy related. I tried cutting out everything except butter for a couple of days, and it got much better -- then I had sour cream with breakfast this morning, and he's back to sounding like a goose this afternoon. DH doesn't want me to give up dairy, though; he saw what happened last time I went the elimination diet route, when (in hindsight) I got really malnourished. It's hard enough to find stuff to eat with the SCD. So I'm thinking about trying homeopathy and nutritional supplements instead.

Okay, end of grouchy postpartum rant! Hope you're all well.

Momofmine, to add fat to meat dishes, I'll either throw in a big chunk of beef tallow or lard (if it's a stew), or else I'll sautee some vegetables in lots of fat, until it's pretty well soaked up. Mushrooms, onions, summer squash, and green beans all work well.

We also eat a lot of avocadoes. The US-grown ones are in season right now. :
#81 of 93 Old 08-01-2009, 09:21 AM

Hi! I am so glad to have found this thread! So excited to find it that I haven't even read all the posts yet, but will go back to do so asap. But I wanted to know if anyone knows whether this SCD is safe (for mama to do for herself) for the sake of her ebf baby. DS is 7 months old. He reacts to foods that *I* eat, so I know that I need to do some serious gut healing. So I am wanting to go on the SCD myself while allowing ds to ebf. I really want to bf and not give formula if at all possible. However, the support groups I see seem to be for adults or for children that are already eating solids. Does anyone know if *mama* can do this to heal her gut for the sake of her ebf lo? I know they say it is safe for pregnant women, but I haven't found whether it is okay for nursing mamas. Thanks so much!
#82 of 93 Old 08-01-2009, 09:46 AM

IMO, absolutely yes. And I am pretty sure the book says it's fine too. Just be sure you are getting enough calories. I would also want to be supporting my detox pathways with things like Vit C. I think this is the easiest time to do it actually, because you don't have to wean the child from the foods he was introduced to like rice and wheat. Then when you introduce foods to baby it can be wholesome, fresh, wonderful SCD foods, like banana, butternut squash, pureed meats, etc, as his first baby foods.
#83 of 93 Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 AM

Hi, this is a great thread, thanks for starting it! We definitely need to do things slow and steady.

I am researching SCD and GAPS for myself and DD (22 mos). We definitely have gut/overgrowth issues. We've been on limited diet for awhile, mostly meats (chicken, beef, bison, lamb, pork), GF grains (quinoa, wild rice, and millet - ALL SOAKED), leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, red cabbage, red pepper, carrot, egg yolk (whole egg for me), avocado, flax oil, sunbutter, and plain goat milk yogurt.

We are super hypoglycemic so I have to watch that as well as lactose intolerant and fructose/fructan sensitive and must avoid all fruits and high fructose/fructan veggies (even many with equal glucose/fructose ratios, like bananas). We do well on our diet until something goes wrong, like binging (me) or me messing up on her probiotic (I missed a dose and doubled up one day AM and PM -- OMG I will never do that again). That has set off her GI tract and she is not tolerating grains or veggies very well right now (lots of loose, fermented poo --sorry-- and burping).

We've been taking a probiotic called VSL#3 and it seems that this has been a big help, until the gut flora get totally wacked, and then I stop and restart slowly. It is a very slow process to rebuild, so I'm kicking myself for that stupid mistake. Also, I introduced goat yogurt to her just before that double probiotic dose, so I don't know if that is part of the problem too, so have stopped giving it to her.

I guess I am feeling unsure... what will we eat??? Sunbutter is her sole comfort. That will be traumatic to pull. Also, we must have carbs for blood sugar reasons, afraid we won't have enough. I am afraid to re-introduce goat yogurt in case that sets her GI off further. So the only things in her diet that would be allowed on the intro are meat and egg yolk. (Have been avoiding egg whites b/c she reacted before.) Could we modify? Anyone have experience with this?

About gelatin, what brand do you use? Looking for something pure/organic-ish.

FWIW, B12 seems to help us a ton even though our blood levels are fine (???) and also digestive enzymes. I take Metazyme (by NutraNomics) and she takes Digest (by Enzymedica) b/c I can't get her to take mine (takes horrible out of the capsule).

I feel deflated. We were getting better and now she is in that place where she's becoming more and more sensitive. So I'm looking back to our old ways, remembering how I used to make bone broths (not exactly feeling inspired to do this in the heat of the summer!) hmmmmmm
#84 of 93 Old 08-06-2010, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Subbing.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#85 of 93 Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 AM

Is anyone still doing this? I'm on day 5, been interesting. Just wanted to see if there was anyone still doing this.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#86 of 93 Old 10-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellz View Post
Is anyone still doing this? I'm on day 5, been interesting. Just wanted to see if there was anyone still doing this.
Hi Jewellz! I just started as well and found this thread from way back. It's so nice to hear from someone else who is possibly eating more bananas and honey than they thought possible!! How is it going for you? And what was your reason for starting it? Maybe we can even start a new thread for new mamas doing the SCD.

I am actually doing a slightly more flexible version of SCD. I was all set to do it and even buy the yogurt maker (although I have to admit, that felt SO insanely daunting), but I talked on the phone to another MDC member who had done the SCD for her and her daughter a while back and her thoughts were, you don't have to be so insanely strict that you end up not being able to do it. She said that in hindsight, she wished she would've made it a little easier on herself. So for example, I am buying store bought yogurt, but I just made sure that I got the one that is least processed (only has milk in it) and has the least amount of sugar. So that in itself is a huge help. The other thing that I'm doing is not doing that intro period, I am just sort of jumping right in aside from beans. I am going to wait about a month until I do beans. And even then, I think I may do canned beans if I have to.

My thoughts on this (and the veteran MDCers are too) are that there is no reason to be completely, 100% extreme about this. The point is, no sugars, starches/carbs. That is going to be a big shift for my body regardless of if the slight sugar from store bought yogurt gets in there. And I have only been on it three days and I already feel a lot better. It is amazing. I'm so interested to see how it's going for you too.

And the other piece of this is that for me, I have had a mild case of IBS (although that term is such BS), gluten intolerance, disbiosis (bad bacteria overpower the good in my gut) and low digestive enzyme output, but it has not been severe, so perhaps if I had more severe symptoms, I would follow the diet to a T. But even still, if my symptoms were that severe, taking out MOST of the sugar, starches and carbs would totally help. So who knows. When talking to the other MDCer (who is also a homeopath and works in the natural health field), she was also saying that she thought I could probably have things healed in 6 months, which is a lot more palatable than 2 years!! I am just telling myself that I will do this for 3 months, reassess and then go for 3 more if it's really helping. I don't know about you, but at this point, I am willing to do ANYTHING and give up ANY food to feel better long term.

I'd love to hear what kinds of things you're eating! One of my favorite things so far has been slices of cucumber with mustard, parmesan cheese slices, avocado and turkey slices - like little sandwiches. SO good! Oh and of course steak marinaded with the vinegrette in the SCD book. I made the peanut butter cookies, and they were actually really good, but the next morning I felt a little funny, so I'm not sure if it was that, but I am going to hold off for a while. I'm eating salmon, steak or chicken for just about every dinner. I have been malnourished due to my digestive issues and am underweight, so I am looking for a way to add some pounds and some B vitamins. In the mornings, I have a smoothie/milkshake that is surprisingly good - I blend that 100% whole milk European style yogurt with almond milk, apple cider, Knudson's strawberry juice and some coconut oil. I don't know about you, but being that it's Halloween makes it a bit tougher since all this candy is going around. Sometimes I seriously tip my head back and squirt honey in my mouth when I feel like I need a little "treat"! That or have a banana.

Can't wait to hear how it's going for you
#87 of 93 Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM

We are on SCD here too! I think that the yogurt is really easy once you have made it a couple of times. It's one of those things that seems really daunting and overwhelming until you just do it and then you realize you can really do it! At least that was my experience. The reason for fermenting the yogurt for 24 hours is to eat up all the lactose.
#88 of 93 Old 10-23-2010, 12:29 PM

I've read your message and will get back to you as soon as I have a rare moment to sit and reply because my youngest, Kylee screams her head off all day because of a dumb mistake I made in not checking my thyroid pill when I had to change to a generic and it contained gluten. Now I'm dealing with a colicky baby ALL DAY. Only happy if I'm holding her or sometimes after I get gripe water in her. But just letting you know I am not ignoring or forgetting to write back to you.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#89 of 93 Old 10-24-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bamama View Post
Hi Jewellz! I just started as well and found this thread from way back. It's so nice to hear from someone else who is possibly eating more bananas and honey than they thought possible!! How is it going for you? And what was your reason for starting it? Maybe we can even start a new thread for new mamas doing the SCD.
So far it's going good, on day 7. I actually went to stage 1 (the pecanbread stages) instead of doing the intro because my bananas weren't ripe yet and forgot to take the chicken out to thaw so started eating cooked apples pieces. Now back at intro, though I'm kinda messing it up. I started because of a leaky gut. We have food allergies, mainly gluten but my 3yr old dd was reacting to dairy in my breastmilk-got over it at 9months, then my 22m old started to react to dairy in my breastmilk at birth and eggs at 7m-dairy reactions are going down but still reacts to eggs pretty bad and my 5m old I took out dairy and eggs out of my diet before she was born as I wanted to have a calm happy baby that wasn't reacting to anything in my breastmilk but then I forgot to check my new thyroid meds and they contained gluten and now she reacting to that. So the next babies, if they are any, I would like to of healed my insides so that I can have calm happy babies again and enjoy the newborn stage instead of dreading it.

Quote:
I am actually doing a slightly more flexible version of SCD. I was all set to do it and even buy the yogurt maker (although I have to admit, that felt SO insanely daunting), but I talked on the phone to another MDC member who had done the SCD for her and her daughter a while back and her thoughts were, you don't have to be so insanely strict that you end up not being able to do it. She said that in hindsight, she wished she would've made it a little easier on herself. So for example, I am buying store bought yogurt, but I just made sure that I got the one that is least processed (only has milk in it) and has the least amount of sugar. So that in itself is a huge help. The other thing that I'm doing is not doing that intro period, I am just sort of jumping right in aside from beans. I am going to wait about a month until I do beans. And even then, I think I may do canned beans if I have to.
I'm going to stick to the stages but prob do it a little bit faster as I don't think that my symptoms are as severe as most people are on this diet have. I really don't want restart this diet because I need to get pretty advanced in this diet before I end up pregnant again. We can't have dairy so the yogurt was no problem to avoid but I am hoping to eventually try it out.

Quote:
And the other piece of this is that for me, I have had a mild case of IBS (although that term is such BS), gluten intolerance, disbiosis (bad bacteria overpower the good in my gut) and low digestive enzyme output, but it has not been severe, so perhaps if I had more severe symptoms, I would follow the diet to a T. But even still, if my symptoms were that severe, taking out MOST of the sugar, starches and carbs would totally help. So who knows. When talking to the other MDCer (who is also a homeopath and works in the natural health field), she was also saying that she thought I could probably have things healed in 6 months, which is a lot more palatable than 2 years!! I am just telling myself that I will do this for 3 months, reassess and then go for 3 more if it's really helping. I don't know about you, but at this point, I am willing to do ANYTHING and give up ANY food to feel better long term.
I agree that the term IBS is bs. On one of the support groups I'm on, a lady instead of starting the diet 100% at the intro, she started taking out the bad stuff one type at a time until she got to the intro, then added stuff back in, so that is an option. I'm hoping that it takes only 6 or so months.

Quote:
I'd love to hear what kinds of things you're eating! One of my favorite things so far has been slices of cucumber with mustard, parmesan cheese slices, avocado and turkey slices - like little sandwiches. SO good! Oh and of course steak marinaded with the vinegrette in the SCD book. I made the peanut butter cookies, and they were actually really good, but the next morning I felt a little funny, so I'm not sure if it was that, but I am going to hold off for a while. I'm eating salmon, steak or chicken for just about every dinner. I have been malnourished due to my digestive issues and am underweight, so I am looking for a way to add some pounds and some B vitamins. In the mornings, I have a smoothie/milkshake that is surprisingly good - I blend that 100% whole milk European style yogurt with almond milk, apple cider, Knudson's strawberry juice and some coconut oil. I don't know about you, but being that it's Halloween makes it a bit tougher since all this candy is going around. Sometimes I seriously tip my head back and squirt honey in my mouth when I feel like I need a little "treat"! That or have a banana.

Can't wait to hear how it's going for you
I love the foods you are eating. They sound so good. But since I'm being restrictive, mine are not appetizing. Yesterday I bought a whole salmon at Whole Foods and had them fillet it and broiled a little bit for lunch today. Had pot roast for dinner to night. I have been having applesauce with honey and cinnamon for my sugar withdrawal. Had some bananas and avocados. Jello. Chicken, ground beef, meatballs, hamburger. Most blah. And lots of water or watered down grape juice to keep up breastmilk production. Yup, I have done that with the honey just go and take a spoonful of honey and suck on it. Yum!!

But now I don't know what to do. Accidentally ingested gluten (last time was a month ago) and been reacting to it along with dd3 so I don't know if it's the foods I'm reacting to (apples and carrots are coming out in chunks but poos are getting better and a good brown color instead of yellowy-green diarrhea) or if it because of the gluten reaction still. I would like to stay on the diet. It is a MUST for me and my kiddos sake but how do I know if mine or my five month old's reactions are because of the gluten or the new offending food? So I have been debating with keeping on the diet right now or to postpone it. Just wanted some ideas from MDC mamas on the list.

#90 of 93 Old 10-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jewellz - I only have a quick sec, but wanted to post this in case it helps you. I am on digestive enzymes that are AWESOME. They took all my diarrhea away immediately and they are formulated with special enzymes to help deal with hidden gluten or casein. I take two with every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner), but not with snacks. At first, I just did one with every meal, for like three days, but then bumped it up when I felt comfortable. I would recommend this for you because when my naturopath told me about these, she specifically said, "You will notice there will be a lot less or no undigested food in your stools." Here is the exact kind I use...

http://www.professionalsupplementcen...milaseGFCF.htm

Personally, I am having a tough couple of days around here. I want to eat "normal" foods. This diet is okay when you can confine yourself to your kitchen and don't have to go anywhere, but god forbid you find yourself out in the world around lunch time. And I thought I'd never say this, but I am sick of meat! And I can't stand eggs, so that leaves me with like cheese and veggies. I am craving pancakes and things of that nature, but all the recipes have eggs in them and they end up tasting like scrambled egg pancakes. Made some yesterday to try and ended up gagging.

Sorry to be so negative. I love the idea of that lady who slowly took out the bad things. I might go back and try that. I keep feeling like, "Do I really need to be THIS restrictive??" On the up side, I have gained 1-2 pounds and have great energy. I know this diet is genius and scientifically it works, but it's just the day to day life of being on it that is really really hard. In order to save myself so that I can keep doing this diet (for the most part), I might integrate beans in sooner rather than later.

Have you (or anyone else) found a recipe for pancakes or bread that isn't eggy? Or a substitute for eggs? Possibly avocados?

More soon...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page