Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) "slow and steady" support thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 93 Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I too only have a quick time to reply but yes I have been taking enzymes the last four days but I don't know if they are helping.

But just think if it can help it will be so worth it to be restrictive and I think that taking things out one type at a time then adding would be better.

See I love meat because I need the protein so I can't help you there either with eating out because we couldn't eat out anyway because of gluten issues.

Usually when substituting eggs in normal recipes, it can be replaces with applesauce for baked goods or avocados for like spreads.

Hope it's going better.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#92 of 93 Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM

Ooh, thanks for the tip about applesauce I think you will for sure notice a difference with the enzymes. It may take a week or so. I hope it does the trick!

Okay, so I hate to break the news, but I am an SCD drop out (but am loving it). The total restrictiveness of the diet was totally getting me down and I was so sick of the choices of food. I was starting to feel like, "If this is how I have to eat, I don't want to exist on this planet!" Personally, I started feeling like I was going to an unnecessary extreme for me. But it's funny, I am still eating 85% SCD but even knowing that I have a little wiggle room is wonderful. And when I say wiggle room, I don't mean eating a ton of crap, but I mean some corn tortilla chips, beans, quinoa, etc. I am being really slow with it and also, I am still really making an effort to limit my sugar and starch intake. For me, that was the big lesson with SCD - about starches and sugars. So rather than go back to gluten-free snacks and breads, if I need a little snack, I will pick up a banana or pear instead. But it also doesn't mean I can't ever have those snacks or breads if I wanted them. Seriously, there is something so mental about this in knowing that I CAN have something should I want it. I still have the smoothies in the morning (yogurt - unsweetened, almond milk, coconut oil, natural juice, fruit and honey) and am eating a fair amount of meat too. I was so excited to have my gluten-free pancakes again (with honey, of course!), but funny thing is that I really only feel like a banana and smoothie in the AM. Even in that short wee, SCD rubbed off on me! Only been off of it for about two days and I feel fine and digestion is okay.

The other thing I realized with SCD is that I didn't want to be so micromanaging about every little thing I eat. I know there are lots of people who HAVE to be, but for me, having to log what I'm eating and always be cooking and thinking about what is SCD-friendly was just too much and really had me thinking about my digestion way more than I wanted to. I am trying to go about my life with these foundations of eating in place and not obsess about what each little morsel of food is doing to me at every second. Basically, I'm trying to suck it up and see how that goes! And it went great today - there was a huge chunk of the day where I wasn't even thinking about my gut and what it was doing! Heaven!!
#93 of 93 Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 PM

I have actually postponed continuing the diet because of accidentally glutening myself. So now I won't know if reacting are coming from the offending food or the gluten. So I'll restart it later.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page