Hop Head/Beer Geek Tribe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 02-14-2009, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't be the only mama here who loves beer. The higher the IBUs, the better if you ask me. I also love sour beers. YUM.

Anyone else?? Tell me about your favorites.

We are a New Belgium family. (Full disclosure, NBB is what pays the bills in our house, but we would drink it all the time even if it didn't.) Right now in our fridge we have Bell's Hop Slam, and Geary's Hampshire Ale. (And one lone Fat Tire that remains from what we stowed away on our trip to NC since NBB won't be available here until 3/2.)

Man. I just made myself want a beer.
#2 of 62 Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 AM

I would definitely consider myself a beer conniseuer (sp?). Sierra Nevada (Chico, CA) pale ale is our stand-by.. but a new beer I've found and enjoy is Ninkasa from Eugene, OR. We usually go for IPAs.
#3 of 62 Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 AM

bear < ALL OTHER ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
#4 of 62 Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM

I love Beer, but I really go for Pale Ale's to Guinness most of all! Now on a hot summer day poolside I might have a Corona & Lime, but mostly stock German beers along with Karl Strauss, Fat Tire, and Red Trolley Ales. [/RIGHT]
#5 of 62 Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

I finally had my first visit to a Flying Saucer today where I tried Sexual Chocolate. It was yummy, but at 10% ABV I was only able to have a few sips. Any more and DS would have been extra sleepy. :
#6 of 62 Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Harpoon IPA (Windsor, VT)!!!! It's never NOT in our house.
#7 of 62 Old 02-16-2009, 03:42 PM

What a great idea for a tribe.

I didn't appreciate beer till pretty recently - say the last 4 years or so. My only exposure had been to Bud and Coors, and frankly, that's just not what I want in my mug. Anyhoo, I got my B.S. in Enology (winemaking) and that had the unexpected side effect of opening up the whole, glorious, fragrant and hoppy world of beer. In fact, in the middle of my program, I said "I think I was meant to be a brewer, not a winemaker."

I brew at home, this fall I did a sparkling hard apple cider. Next up is an IPA as soon as I wrangle up a blow-off hose adapter. Does anyone else homebrew? (if any winos are lurking, YES I also do wine at home, it's not like I completely abandoned v. vinifera)

My favorite, immediate go to style of choice is IPA. I love hops. I love bitter. Hop Ottin IPA from Anderson Valley Brewery and IPA from Laguinitas are my favorites. We always have Sierra Nevada on hand. The DH likes Guinness but I haven't yet learned to love stout beers. Or porters. There's still time

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#8 of 62 Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
What a great idea for a tribe.

I didn't appreciate beer till pretty recently - say the last 4 years or so. My only exposure had been to Bud and Coors, and frankly, that's just not what I want in my mug. Anyhoo, I got my B.S. in Enology (winemaking) and that had the unexpected side effect of opening up the whole, glorious, fragrant and hoppy world of beer. In fact, in the middle of my program, I said "I think I was meant to be a brewer, not a winemaker."

I brew at home, this fall I did a sparkling hard apple cider. Next up is an IPA as soon as I wrangle up a blow-off hose adapter. Does anyone else homebrew? (if any winos are lurking, YES I also do wine at home, it's not like I completely abandoned v. vinifera)

My favorite, immediate go to style of choice is IPA. I love hops. I love bitter. Hop Ottin IPA from Anderson Valley Brewery and IPA from Laguinitas are my favorites. We always have Sierra Nevada on hand. The DH likes Guinness but I haven't yet learned to love stout beers. Or porters. There's still time
DH started brewing at home, but then he started working for NBB and I got PG with our older DS. We just didn't need that much beer around the house! He has since given his brewing equipment to my little brother who is an engineering major with aspirations of working for a brewery someday. He homebrews as a hobby to get some time away from math homework.

I've had the Hop Ottin IPA, I knew I had the moment I saw the label, and quite a few from Laguinitas. Undercover Shutdown is one I remember well.
#9 of 62 Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
I can't be the only mama here who loves beer. The higher the IBUs, the better if you ask me. I also love sour beers. YUM.

Anyone else?? Tell me about your favorites.

We are a New Belgium family. (Full disclosure, NBB is what pays the bills in our house, but we would drink it all the time even if it didn't.) Right now in our fridge we have Bell's Hop Slam, and Geary's Hampshire Ale. (And one lone Fat Tire that remains from what we stowed away on our trip to NC since NBB won't be available here until 3/2.)

Man. I just made myself want a beer.
Lucky you with the Hopslam! Can't get it here but it's at the top of my fav's these days...

I'm a bit of a self professed beer geek myself. The state I live in had an ABV cap law forever and we just changed that last July so we're finally getting some of the better higher ABV beers here (it's not the abv I'm looking for but so many craft beers or breweries were ruled out by the old law) Double IPA's are my favorite style closely followed by Imperial Stouts...Of course my days are currently spent collecting beer instead of drinking it but I'm gonna be soooo set when this pregnancy is over

It's nice to see other women beer geeks--the beer geek arenas are typically such boys clubs (not that I have anything against men--I just like the company of women TOO! )
#10 of 62 Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 PM

I'm joinin' in! Give me a full bodied beer over that watered-down stuff anyday!!!
Right now we're enjoying Yuengling Lager - America's Oldest Brewery. Their Black and Tan is very dark, and slightly bitter - and very good!!!
#11 of 62 Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 PM

B & G: What do you mean by "sour" beers?

#12 of 62 Old 02-21-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
B & G: What do you mean by "sour" beers?
Here is an interesting article about sour beers. http://www.portfolio.com/views/colum...our-Beer-Trend

It is a Belgian style of beer that is gaining popularity.
#13 of 62 Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 PM

I got this from a friend, and thought I would share with you - she made it this past weekend, and said it was delicious! :

Guinness Cake
•2 cups Guinness
•2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
•1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
•4 cups all purpose flour
•4 cups sugar
•1 tablespoon baking soda
•1 1/2 teaspoons salt
•4 large eggs
•1 1/3 cups sour cream

Icing
•2 cups whipping cream
•1 pound bittersweet chopped

For cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter three 8-inch round cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Line with parchment paper. Butter paper. Bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in large bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer cakes to rack; cool 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack and cool completely.
For icing:
Bring cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chopped chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Refrigerate until icing is spreadable, stirring frequently, about 2 hours. If you whip it during cooling, it make a lighter icing.

Place 1 cake layer on plate. Spread 2/3 cup icing over. Top with second cake layer. Spread 2/3 cup icing over. Top with third cake layer. Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake.
#14 of 62 Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Here is an interesting article about sour beers. http://www.portfolio.com/views/colum...our-Beer-Trend

It is a Belgian style of beer that is gaining popularity.
Interesting. On a related note, I've been wanting to brew a lambic style beer but I'm just not sure I'm interested in working with Brettanomyces in the home.

I'll have to see if I can find a sour beer locally.

Wisconsin Public Radio did a show today on grilling with craft (micro-brew) beers. Here's a link to the website. http://grillingwithbeer.com/

The author of the cookbook had some incredible recipes, and she was
C L E A R L Y a beer geek. It made my proud

#15 of 62 Old 02-26-2009, 11:21 PM

I recently tried Bell's Hopslam and loved it !

I really like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and Sam Adams Black Lager.

Another favorite but that I haven't had in years, and haven't tried since it comes from a totally different brewery now, is/was Celis Pale Bock.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#16 of 62 Old 02-27-2009, 03:27 PM

I usually prefer darker brew porter and some times stout. I drank 2 itty bitty glasses of some barley wine on New Year's and was on a tummy coaster ride. So I have been drinking red lately. We have white chocolate on tap, but I can only sip it occasionally ..doesn't accompany to many dishes well. My dh is a hefe drinker. As far as domestic we like Dos Equis . I like the Shiner Bock too .

I don't know Sam Adams too well , but the commercials always make me want a beer.
#17 of 62 Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm having Le Freak from Green Flash tonight. It's a trippel with lots of hops. I like it.
#18 of 62 Old 02-28-2009, 11:40 AM

The darker the better- I am lucky I haven't got a porter belly!!!

Give me a Highlands Oatmeal Porter or Black Mocha Stout anytim or always loving the Sierra Nevada Porter with the pretty blue label.........
#19 of 62 Old 03-01-2009, 04:16 PM

When we can't have our own home brew, we like anything from NBB. One of our very favorites is Descheutes Brewery's Black Butte Porter. Yum! Sadly, we live in Utah and have to drive to Wyoming to get the good stuff. That's why we make our own most of the time.
#20 of 62 Old 03-01-2009, 10:56 PM

yum.... do we have a beer smiley?

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#21 of 62 Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 AM

Hi,
It is good to have alcoholic drink occasionally , but it should be avoided on regular basis.

kim
#22 of 62 Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
yum.... do we have a beer smiley?
I second this.

I was going to post on "questions and suggestions" but I thought I'd be laughed off.

#23 of 62 Old 03-04-2009, 02:23 PM

What is regularly?

For me its twice a week..2 drinks per week
#24 of 62 Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM

I'm making Guinness cake today! I'll let you know how it goes

#25 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 01:12 AM

Okay.

No one warned me that Guinness cake was going to be UNREAL.

holy cow.

3 layers of chocolate goodness, and despite the FOUR, count them, four cups of sugar, it wasn't too sweet of a cake. I happened to have all ingredients on hand except the cream for the frosting. Instead I melted ~6 oz bittersweet chocolate, 6 tbs butter (yum) and 6 tbs of coffee together and used that.

The funny thing is, the only reason we even had Guinness in the house was for cooking.

#26 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
No one warned me that Guinness cake was going to be UNREAL.

holy cow.
: My friend said it was awesome - I plan to make it around Easter when my folks are in town... counting down the days! Oooh! I know - I'll make myself a grown-up birthday cake the week after Easter! :
#27 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Something tells me Guinness Cake just wouldn't be the same dairy free. Add that cake to my wishlist for when either DS weans in 2+ years, or when I can add it back into my diet.
#28 of 62 Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 AM

butter is off limit, too? What a bummer.

At least beer's okay

I recently joined the "frequent growler" club at one of our local breweries.
So far we've gotten Hopasaurus Rex (IPA), Bitter Cold Bitter, and Oatmeal Ale.

Descriptions here.

#29 of 62 Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Something tells me Guinness Cake just wouldn't be the same dairy free. Add that cake to my wishlist for when either DS weans in 2+ years, or when I can add it back into my diet.
I looked at trying to dairy free it, but decided against it too. I just don't have a great substitute for the sour cream.
#30 of 62 Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM

DH is the beer geek in the house. I don't study it as much, but I sure loves to drink it! I switched to non-alcoholic since being pregnant and nursing and there's a local brewery that does a very good dark non-alcoholic, but I love to have a tall glass of the regular stuff now and then (this tribe is making me thirsty).

We live in the heart of Europe in hop country, and our country specializes in Pilseners. I definitely like the crisp bitter light beer that Pils is and the pubs and breweries here are very consistently good (in restaurants beer is also cheaper by volume than water), but I miss the variety of different types of beer that's available in the UK and US.

We also like Weissbier and when we were last in Munich we fell in love with a fantastic spelt beer, omg it was so delicious.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page