High-altitude challah with a breadmaker - Mothering Forums
Nutrition and Good Eating > High-altitude challah with a breadmaker
alexsam's Avatar alexsam 03:28 PM 02-26-2009
Anyone have a good challah recipe for a breadmaker? And, any tips for high-altitude? We are at about 5,000 ft and any bread that spends any time NOT in the breadmaker comes out a rock... I was hopng to find something where the breadmaker goes through the kneading and the first cycles and all I have to do is take it out and braid it and do the final bake...

Please be explicit with tips, directions and recipes . I'm new at this and the altitude has really impacted my confidence because it really messes with baked things .

Faliciagayle's Avatar Faliciagayle 08:31 AM 02-27-2009
hmm, I've never had to bake challah at a high altitude, but this is an interesting article on the kinds of adjustments you'd have to make.

Basically, decrease baking powder and sugar and increase liquid. Eggs count as liquid so that's a plus for challah!

There's a chart in the article which should be helpful
BabyFireFly's Avatar BabyFireFly 03:30 PM 12-18-2011

Hey there,

I know this is an old thread....but I have been making the most amazing Challah in my breadmaker and I'm in the Catskills....not usually considered "high altitude" for baking since we are just a shade over 1500 feet, but I seem to have the same issues as people baking at the higher elevations none the less. This recipe is for challah as a loaf, not braided, though I guess you could take it out and braid then bake.

This makes (1) 2-lb. horizontal loaf:

Ingredients

1 cup milk (I use whole milk, just a shade warmer than lukewarm)

3 fresh eggs (try your very hardest to get the freshest eggs possible, you cannot compare the flavor of farm fresh to store bought - you want nice orange yolks)

1/4 cup Safflower Oil

1/3 cup Sugar

2 tsp. Salt

4 1/4 cups Bread Flower

2 tsp Active Dry Yeast

Place all the ingredients in the breadmaker's bowl in the order specified by the manufacturer....mine is milk,eggs,oil,sugar, salt, flour, then yeast.

I do not use the preheat option, because all of my ingredients are kept at room temperature....if you store your eggs in the fridge, either take them out a few hours ahead of time or use the preheat setting.

Use the "Light" crust setting for a "Basic" (not Quick) loaf and hit Start.

After the first rise, if the dough looks really sticky and is not coming up well, remove it from the pan and turn it out on a lightly floured surface. It may be a little tricky to do, but do not worry and think it is not going well, it happened to me the first time, yet turned out PERFECT. Just sprinkle a bit of flour (dust, is more like it) over the heap of dough to remove the surface sticky-ness and return to the pan for the second rise.

Once it is done baking, do not let it sit in the pan....remove it immediately. Tip the pan over and let it slide out onto a cooling rack. If it is allow'd to sit in the warm pan the crust on the bottom and sides will "thicken up" and while edible, not the nice fluffy texture you want....it gets chewy.

This lasted less than a day in the house between my husband and my daughter....I didn't even get to try making French Toast with it! Excellent toasted for breakfast with a bit of almond butter and honey...but I'm even serving it now at supper time with chili, pasta and quiches.

Hope you enjoy!

greenmom4's Avatar greenmom4 07:14 AM 12-22-2011

I don't have a challah recipe (although I've used the one at Smitten Kitchen before and it turned out really well).  But I've lived at 7500ish feet for the past 6 years and at 5,300 feet for about 12 years before that, so I have a couple of tricks for high altitude baking.  Keep in mind that it will NEVER be as light and fluffy as it is at sea level.  C'est la vie.

Anyway

* cut yeast in half

* add an extra 1tbsp of flour for each cup of flour in the recipe

* cut leavening agent by 1/2-1/4tsp

* reduce cooking time (I start checking about 5 min before the suggested recipe baking time)

* add a couple extra tbsp of liquid

Usually works pretty well. I've never been able to make a decent angel food cake - I just buy 'em. 

Up