My 2nd week barely eating - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Basically I have been very stressed, anxious, worried -a whole bunch of emotions over hmy dd's health and what might be wrong with her etc....that I have lost my appetite almost entirely now. Last week I was nibbling at things, but since the weekend I don't even feel hungry after not eating all day. I feel so overwhelmed by worry and anxiousness about my daughter that I don't feel I can "stomach" food.

Even today I left her at school crying I feel so bad about it all and so helpless, we have a doctor appointment today -our first one about this, and I really am worrying he isn't going to help and will just brush it off, not want to investigate it, or say she has irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and say there's nothing we can do to help her.

Since im not eating much at all lately, is there anything I should be eating when I do feel a little hungry and can nibble something? I was thinking protein is probably most needed....right?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Mama,

Take a deep breath. You not eating will not make things any better. You need to be at your best when you see the Doc. This is about the GI stuff right?

Make sure you can nibble on some protein. What about some small chunks of turkey, cheese and fruit like blueberries or strawberries?

Regarding the Doctor. Have your ducks in a row. Even if he says its IBS, I would insist on a consult with a pediatric Gastroenterologist. Let the GI Doc make the determination as to what you might be dealing with.

You will be alright. You are scared I know. Been there several times over the last three years with my daughter.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I swear I answered this... huh... Eat proteins and/or fats. Avoid carbs because it will just make your blood sugar spike then crash. Make sure you drink enough water. Raw honey before you go to bed might help you sleep (in case the worrying is keeping you up at night).

How old is she? How long has it been going on? If they say it's IBS, look at food intolerances for the cause....

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I swear I answered this... huh... Eat proteins and/or fats. Avoid carbs because it will just make your blood sugar spike then crash. Make sure you drink enough water. Raw honey before you go to bed might help you sleep (in case the worrying is keeping you up at night).

How old is she? How long has it been going on? If they say it's IBS, look at food intolerances for the cause....
She posted in more than one area.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 03-09-2009, 02:34 PM

My body shuts down when I am like this, too. I find the only stuff I can get down at all at those times IS carbs, and my ND says getting a little sugar from them isn't a bad thing and that carbs are your body's attempt to increase neurotransmitters and such, to make you feel better. I just try to make sure they're at least decent carbs, like whole wheat muffins. Texture is a biggie, too. I usually don't feel much like chewing or even looking at a plate of food. If I can find the energy/concentration, I blend everything. Sometimes I can drink when I can't eat. So it'll be a blueberry smoothie with a little spinach, some flax and yogurt. Sometimes applesauce goes down well. Hot tea with honey. Turkey is a great idea for the tryptophans. Nut butters sometimes seem appealing, too. Good luck! It's tough when your body's response to stress is to stop eating. It's no fun forcing yourself to eat.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:22 AM

i have not read your other posts but it sounds like you need some outside help for your emotional and physical health. i would suggest seeing a psychotherapist or psychiatrist, along with seeing your ND. you cant truly be yourself at your best when you are starving yourself.

User Tag List