Meatloaf recipes please! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really not a meatloaf person - never made one and never liked them... but I'm craving it and have tons of ground beef. I don't have any recipes however.

I prefer MOIST meats which is why I think I've not ever been a fan of meatloaf - it always seems so dried out to me.

Can you post some tried and true yummy meatloaf recipes please?

Thanks! :
#2 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 04:12 PM

Here is my favorite meatloaf recipe. It calls for crushed saltines, but I use oats instead.

1 egg
2/3 C milk
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 C oats
1/4 C finely chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 lbs ground beef

Mix together in a bowl ( I use my hands). Pat meat into a 9x5x3 in loaf pan. Bake uncovered for 50 min @ 350

Topping
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp brown sugar(I use rapadura)
1 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Mix together and spread over the top of meatloaf. Bake another 15-20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.

Enjoy!

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#3 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM

dried out meatloaf? blasphemy!!! meatloaf is supposed to be juicy and moist. My recipe is really simple, and low on spices, and yet still delicious, I admit, I ought to tinker with the spices some more, but for now, it works.)

Meatloaf:
1 small onion
ground beef (like 1 to 1.5 pounds for a smallish loaf pan)
ketchup (I like muir glen organic, its corn syrup free and fairly low sugar. I'm working on homemade)
bread crumbs or stale bread or fresh bread to make bread crumbs(sourdough is best imo)
s&p
1-2 eggs
optional: beef liver or heart, cut into little peices, or pureed

Pre-heat oven to 350. Saute the onions in your favorite fat (this is optional, but they will be softer, they don't always caramelize in the meatloaf). Meanwhile, mix ground beef, (heart and liver), bread crumbs, eggs, and a liberal dosage of salt and pepper in a bowl. add some ketchup, and mix. Add the onions and the fat they cooked in, mix. put mixture into a loaf pan, and smear the top with lots of ketchup and bread crumbs. bake for 45 min to 1 hr, or until the middle isn't raw, and is as cooked as you like. (don't over cook though. its tasty and good for you a little pink)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#4 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 05:17 PM

Grate an apple into your meat/egg/bread mix. It keeps it moist and adds a sweetness that is wonderful. Using apple cider vinegar and brown sugar as the glaze about half way through the cooking works well with the apple.
#5 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM

I don't really have a recipe, I just make it up as I go, but I love MY meatloaf.

2 lbs ground beef
2 eggs
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 sleeve saltine crackers, crushed
some milk (or milk alternative, I use soy since I'm allergic to milk) about 1/2 cup I guess??

Mix together and "form" into a flattened loaf, top with spread ketchup and bake at 350 for about 45 min-1 hour or until no longer pink in the center.

YUM!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#6 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 PM

Do you want a big loaf, or would small loaves stuffed with cheese appeal?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#7 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone! I can't wait to try these - I have so much ground beef at the moment I just might try to get over my dislike of meatloaf by making all of these up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Do you want a big loaf, or would small loaves stuffed with cheese appeal?
This sounds yummy - would love to hear more about it!
#8 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM

I just borderline pleaded with my father for his fantastic meatloaf recipe ... it turns out he uses Alton Brown's. Here. The only thing is he uses seasoned breadcrumbs rather than messing with croutons, and I'm guessing he skips the sirloin and goes with all ground chuck.

The glaze is so simple but is the absolute best.
#9 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM

all you really need for meatloaf is 2 lb of burger. 2 or 3 eggs. a tube of crushed saltines. and ketchup on top. everything else is variety. i like to add worcestshire sauce, oregano, parsley and some other things. i have never had dry meatloaf. i also dont use completely lean beef either. my burger is 86% lean not 95%. some people put bacon on the bottom of the pan and on the top under the ketchup. i dont. i do like adding BBQ sauce or brown sugar to the ketchup on top. some times i mix shredded cheese into the burger.

you bake it at 350 deg for 35 to 45 min depending. i cook it until the sauce on top is thick and set like a glaze. my family loves it.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#10 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinYang View Post
This sounds yummy - would love to hear more about it!
1 lb. ground beef (we use 1.25, usually)
2-4 Tbsp finely chopped onion
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
salt & pepper

Mix all that. Divide into 8-10 portions (2 per mini loaf).

1 cup grated cheese (original recipe calls for Swiss, but I use cheddar)
1/4 cup green pepper
1-2 Tbsp. mayo
1 Tbsp. mustard
hint of Dijon

Mix well.

Take half the ground beef, and make into patties. Divide the cheese mixture evenly between the patties. Put the other patties on top, and pinch to seal the edges. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes.

They do leak a little sometimes (okay - frequently). When that happens, I usually scoop up the portion that leaked, and put it on top of the loaf it came from before serving.

The original recipe had no regular prepared mustard and a full Tbsp. of Dijon, but that doesn't work for me that well. I've tweaked it a bit over the years.

Oh, yeah - you can also add a splash of Worcestershire sauce to the stuffing, if you have it and like it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#11 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 PM

I make summer-veggie zucchini meatloaf. (The yellow zucchinis work as well as the green, and a variety makes the meatloaf pretty.) I add:

finely diced onion
an egg, beaten
zucchini cut into very fine matchstick pieces
a bit of chopped greens, like spinach or kale
a small amount of sweet corn
(bread crumbs)-- I don't use them anymore, because I can't eat wheat right now, but I used to use them, and they do make it hold its shape better.
a really big squirt of ketchup

Then I put more ketchup on top.

It'll stay moister if you carefully avoid overcooking, and if you use a fattier beef. We buy 80% lean on sale and use that, and cook it in a pan that lets you retain the fat that drains off, and pour it back over the meat.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#12 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM

I like to use a pound of ground beef and a pound of sausage--I think this makes it a little more moist. I also use oats instead of bread. I like to make mine free form instead of in a loaf pan. I also love to grate veggies to sneak into it (carrots, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, whatever is in my fridge) which really helps to moisten the meatloaf as well

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#13 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 PM

my most favorite one is the pioneer woman's . I was SHOCKED at how good it was.
hildare likes this.
#14 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 PM

We use the basic meatloaf recipe, and then add shredded carrots and zuchini for added veggies, and then salsa (which is the tomato sauce, bell peppers and onions all in one.) and chedar cheese.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#15 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 PM

I like to mix in whatever sauces I have handy for variety. One of our favorites is salsa. You can also use crushed tortilla chips instead of whatever other bread/cracker/crumb you might use to give it a yummy taco-y taste.

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#16 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 PM

My family loves this cajun style meatloaf - this is the only kind they will eat now. It's got a bit of kick but you can adjust the spices to suit your taste.

Quote:
2 Whole bay leaves
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Black pepper
1/2 teaspoon White pepper
1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon Ground
4 tablespoons Unsalted butter
3/4 cup Finely chopped onions
1/2 cup Green bell peppers -- chopped (I hate GP so I always leave them out)
1/2 cup Celery - chopped
1/4 cup Green onions -- finely chopped
2 teaspoons Minced garlic
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Evaporated milk
1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
1 1/2 pounds Ground beef
1/2 pound Ground pork or sausage
2 Eggs -- lightly beaten
1 cup oats

Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Melt the butter in a 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, green onions, garlic, tabasco, Worcestershire and seasoning mix. Saute until mixture starts sticking excessively, about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the pan bottom well. Stir in the milk and catsup. Continue cooking for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
Place the ground beef and pork in an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan. Add the eggs, the cooked vegetable mixture and the bread crumbs, remove the bay leaves. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined. In the center of the pan, shape the mixture into a loaf that is about 1-1/2 inches high, 6 inches wide and 12 inches long. Bake uncovered at 350F for 25 minutes, then raise heat to 400F and continue cooking until done, about 35 minutes longer.
My MIL bakes a huge block of mozzarella cheese into her meatloaf (not the cajun kind though) and it is really great!
#17 of 43 Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 PM

This is my recipe for meatloaf - we make it pretty frequently. It's studded with vegetables and it's grain-free too.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#18 of 43 Old 04-13-2009, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I've made almost all of these now, you all ROCK! Thanks so much!

One general question - I have been subbing oats for any bread/grain type ingredient. Does it matter if I use quick-cooking or regular oats? So far I've used instant just because I'm trying to use them up (I don't really want to buy them again but had a HUGE thing of them) - but not sure if regular oats would be fine.

Thanks!

And really, my whole view of meatloaf is completely changed now, whew!
#19 of 43 Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 AM

I generally use quick cooking oats (instead of breadcrumbs) and they work just fine. Not sure I've ever used the regualr kind...
#20 of 43 Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 PM

This meatloaf is insanely good, especially if you are a big fan of curry. I use brown rice :

Black Rice Curried Meatloaf

Makes 8 servings

1/2 cup Black Japonica rice blend or long-grain brown rice
1 cup water
1 small zucchini, shredded using the large holes of a box grater
1 Tbsp expeller-pressed walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped - i hate celery and never put it in
1 Tbsp curry powder - i use "Sharwood's Mild Curry"
2 tsps naturally prepared Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
2 pounds 93%-lean ground beef
1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup mango chutney, plus more for serving, if desired -

Meatloaf need not be boring or dry — especially when it’s made with wholesome ingredients including fresh, naturally raised beef. This all-natural version is moist with cooked rice and plenty of vegetables. Curry powder gives extra flavor to the meatloaf, and mango chutney spread on top stands in for the traditional ketchup topping.

1. Bring rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, squeeze any excess moisture from zucchini. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add onion, celery and zucchini; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder; cook 1 minute. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and salt until combined. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 15 minutes.

3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan with cooking spray.

4. Spoon the cooked rice onto a clean cutting board and chop the grains into small bits with a large knife. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables, add ground beef and egg and gently mix until just combined. Place the mixture on the prepared pan and shape into a loaf, about 10 inches by 5 inches. Spread chutney evenly over the top.

5. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf registers 165°F, 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional mango chutney, if desired.

EatingWell.com

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#21 of 43 Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
my most favorite one is the pioneer woman's . I was SHOCKED at how good it was.
This is my favorite too, it's super yummy!
#22 of 43 Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM

Ooh, I have the best meatloaf recipe ever! So moist and tender and flavorful, my kids ask for it all the time. (My husband always begs me to double it - but once, I did, and he ate like, 1/2 a loaf all by himself! So I tell him I won't, just to look out for his colon!)

Applesauce Meatloaf

1 beaten egg
1 1/2 c soft bread crumbs (about 2 slices)
1/2 c applesauce
1/4 c chopped celery (I omit)
2 T minced onion
1 t Dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
dash pepper

Mix all, add 1 lb ground beef, mix thoroughly. Shape into round loaf in 8x8 pan. Make depression in top.
Combine and pour into depression:
1/2 c applesauce
1 T brown sugar
1 1/2 t vinegar
1/2 t dijon mustard

Bake 1 hour at 350. YUM!

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#23 of 43 Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM

I use tomato sauce instead of ketchup because my husband is a diabetic. I also take 1/4 cup of additional tomato sauce and stir in 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of italien seasonings. Let is sit for about 1/2 the bake time of the meatloaf. Then open the oven, pull back the foil and cover with the sauce. Cook the resto fthe way. I also sometimes will take the mixture, xpread it out onto foil or wax paper , spread it out into a rectangle about as wide as my pan. Then layer muenster or mozerella cheese int eh middle, roll up the meat and transfer to meatloaf pan and cook. So every slice has melted goodness in it.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#24 of 43 Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM

The only meatloaf I like is this-> http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/20...-meatloaf.html

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#25 of 43 Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerstar View Post
Ooh, I have the best meatloaf recipe ever! So moist and tender and flavorful, my kids ask for it all the time. (My husband always begs me to double it - but once, I did, and he ate like, 1/2 a loaf all by himself! So I tell him I won't, just to look out for his colon!)

Applesauce Meatloaf

1 beaten egg
1/2 c applesauce
2 T minced onion
1 t Dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
dash pepper

Mix all, add 1 lb ground beef, mix thoroughly. Shape into round loaf in 8x8 pan. Make depression in top.
1/2 c applesauce
1 T brown sugar
1 1/2 t vinegar
1/2 t dijon mustard

Bake 1 hour at 350. YUM!
:::

YUM! I just made this one - the only change I made was - I used oats instead of breadcrumbs and I used apple cider vinegar.

D-I-V-I-N-E

So far I haven't tried one I DIDN'T like and that's saying a lot since I typically can't stand meatloaf!

I want to try the pioneer woman's... but man, that is A LOT (and it is just my 3 yo and me.....) I might try to halve that one.

Just had to comment on this applesauce meatloaf - ADDICTIVE!
#26 of 43 Old 06-02-2009, 08:18 PM

We had the applesauce meatloaf for dinner, it is soooooooo delicious!!! Next is Pioneer Woman's...

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#27 of 43 Old 06-20-2009, 06:03 PM

Ok, we had Pioneer Woman's last night, it's reaaaaally good. I think the applesauce and curry meatloafs are my top faves though!

#28 of 43 Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM

I just had to bump this thread

I've had the cajun meatloaf 3x now, and the applesauce meatloaf I'm making again tonight. I've had the curry one that I posted many times.

#29 of 43 Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinYang View Post
I'm really not a meatloaf person - never made one and never liked them... but I'm craving it and have tons of ground beef. I don't have any recipes however.

I prefer MOIST meats which is why I think I've not ever been a fan of meatloaf - it always seems so dried out to me.

Can you post some tried and true yummy meatloaf recipes please?

Thanks! :
I agree, I hate meatloaf with a wild passion....however oddly enough my mil makes an amazing recipe!
1lb ground beef
1 box dried stuffing mix
2 cans of mushroom gravy or the homemade equivalant to this amount

mix the ground beef, stuffing and 1can of gravy together in a bowl. preheat oven to 350, shape meat mixture into mini loaves on a cookie sheet and then top with remaining gravy (reserving some to add on top one cooked) bake until internal temp is 160!!! YUMMY!!!
#30 of 43 Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerstar View Post

Applesauce Meatloaf

1 beaten egg
1/2 c applesauce
2 T minced onion
1 t Dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
dash pepper

1/2 c applesauce
1 T brown sugar
1 1/2 t vinegar
1/2 t dijon mustard

Bake 1 hour at 350. YUM!
I tried this tonight and OMG it was so good and I almost fainted!

DH liked it but it was too gourment for him. DS (almost 3) wanted no part of it, which is typical for him. Oh and my cat liked it too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page