how long does frozen meat keep-- specifically, sausage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found a package of sausage in the back of my freezer dated early November. It's uncured seasoned Italian sausage that was probably frozen right after I bought it. I'm kind of wondering how long something like this is still good to eat? It's my regular kitchen freezer, not the deep freeze. It was packaged in a good freezer bag.

Do you think I can defrost this and cook it, or is it too old?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#2 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM

You bought it in November or it expired in November?

Stuff really does last a long time in the freezer. I'd take it out and cook it.
#3 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 04:25 PM

I've heard of people eating meat that's been frozen for a year (or even longer). We never seem to have meat in the freezer longer than about 3 months, but I would guess sausage from Nov. would be fine now.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 04:31 PM

It's fine. Eat it. If you're uncomfortable with it, you can send it to me, and I'll eat it.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 05:24 PM

It won't go bad. The quality may not be great, but it's not going to make you sick or anything. It may be dried out/freezer-burned, but it's fine to eat.

Gaye, single mama to Tyler (5/06) and Baxter the labradoodle
surf.gif bikenew.gif jog.gif Wait...I signed up to DO an Ironman??? I thought I was signing up to go SEE Ironman! nut.gif

#6 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmama View Post
It won't go bad. The quality may not be great, but it's not going to make you sick or anything. It may be dried out/freezer-burned, but it's fine to eat.
:

I've eaten meat that's been buried in the bottom of the deep freeze for 3 years, and it's been fine.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#7 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We just finished it, and it was fine. I cooked it in a nice tomato sauce, so even if it was a little dry, we wouldn't have noticed.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#8 of 10 Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 PM

Freezing preserves food indefinitely. It just might not taste so good. My grandmother likes to tell a story about a 12 year old frozen roast that they cooked. Personally, I don't keep meat frozen more than 3-6 months due to quality.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#9 of 10 Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 PM

We routinely have deer frozen for ~ a year. And I buy sausage/bacon in bulk from my co-op and have it in the freezer for at least a couple months usually. And we have quite a few chickens left that were butcherd in... july maybe august of last year? And they're still peachy fine too
#10 of 10 Old 03-28-2009, 09:59 PM

We buy meat in bulk (1/4 side of beef, whole pig, 25 large chickens, etc.) since our preferred sources often only have it available once a year. As a practical matter, we freeze and eat meat that has been frozen for a whole year at some point. Never noticed an issue.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page