• Yes

Votes: 83 85.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Don't Remember

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like eggs

Votes: 4 4.1%

OT: Do you eat the eggs you colored for easter?

7K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  KatieFrank 
#1 ·
Just curious, we always did growing up and a friend of mine says that her family doesn't.

#3 ·
Of course! Even if they sat out all morning. I can't imagine wasting all of those eggs (growing up, 7 of us each getting a dozen to decorate)!

Much easier eating them with one child doing the decorating.

I think I'd sit there and blow out all the raw eggs before dying the shells if I wasn't going to eat them hardboiled.

#4 ·
As the PP said, if we weren't comfortable eating them -- e.g., if we were going to be using artificial food dyes (which my DC react badly to), or if the eggs would be sitting out for a long time -- I'd hollow them out before coloring them. We used to do that when I was a child. Some got broken, and there was always the risk of forgetting what you were doing and sucking on raw egg, but it added to the excitement.
There seems to be more salmonella around these days, so I'd probably give the eggs a good wipe with alcohol first, or blanch them in boiling water for a few seconds.

I was thinking about this today... from what I've seen, most people just use hard-boiled eggs and throw them out after Easter. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't imagine treating perfectly good eggs that way. Some chicken worked hard for that!

#5 ·
Yes! What a waste of food not to....

For eggs hunts we use plastic refillable eggs... we've actually used the same plastic eggs for about ten years now. At our house, the Easter Bunny leaves a basket with a few things in it and also hits the plastic eggs, and coloring hardboiled eggs is something we do together as a family.

Dar

#15 ·
We dye them, we hunt them(they don't stay out for hours, and even so..they're in their own wrapper lol) then we rinse them and make deviled eggs to have with Easter dinner.

Unless the girls decide we need to do "painted" or glitter eggs, then we just buy the cheapest conventional white eggs to color and toss since we don't like these anyhow.

I'd rather make creamed eggs but everyone else likes deviled

#16 ·
We always make egg salad. It's our Easter tradition. I cannot wasting that many eggs, seriously. And I grew up in a home where there is no understanding of food poisoning, my mother leaves food out for days and still eats it, so even if they get left out/used for an egg hunt, we still eat them.

What's the difference between creamed eggs and deviled eggs?

#17 ·
When I was a kid, we used those egg dye kits, which I don't think even claimed to be foodsafe. We would do some that we blew out, (and eat those eggs), and the rest hard boiled and get thrown out after. Don't make easter eggs anymore, but if I used natural food dyes to color them, I'd eat them. Likely, I'd blow them out, but they are more delicate that way.

#21 ·
We love hard boiled eggs, egg salad, deviled eggs...there are lots of ways to use hard-boiled eggs.

Is it really an issue to eat the eggs dyed with the cheap food dye? I mean it's just on the shell - i can't imagine an egg dipped in dye for 10 seconds is really going to absorb the chemicals through the shell. If i'm wrong, i'd love to hear why.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalisis View Post
What's the difference between creamed eggs and deviled eggs?
Kalisis, creamed eggs are very different. Essentially you make a basic white sauce and stir in the chopped hard boiled eggs, salt, pepper, and serve it all warm over toast. It's more of an old fashioned breakfast dish. You can add any herbs or spices you like, personally I like them with a little curry powder stirred in.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flower01 View Post
We love hard boiled eggs, egg salad, deviled eggs...there are lots of ways to use hard-boiled eggs.

Is it really an issue to eat the eggs dyed with the cheap food dye? I mean it's just on the shell - i can't imagine an egg dipped in dye for 10 seconds is really going to absorb the chemicals through the shell. If i'm wrong, i'd love to hear why.
That's what I was thinking...

#24 ·
Egg shells are a semipermeable membrane. Maybe none of the dye is going to get through in 10 seconds -- or when the eggs are sitting in the fridge for however long afterward -- but I'm just not comfortable taking the chance, given how atrocious my children's behavior gets when they consume the stuff.

I guess I'm coming at this from a different perspective; we always blew out the eggs, so it just seems like the ordinary way to do things. It's a little more work, but there are several advantages besides the dye issue. You can cook the eggs in a variety of ways, not just hard-boiled. The decorated eggs can sit on the table for as long as you like, rather than being hidden away in the fridge. If there's an especially lovely one, you can even save it as a family heirloom. And if it gets crushed, well, that's a reminder of the fragility of life.

For all the egg-blowers out there, this page has some suggestions that look helpful.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess ConsuelaB View Post
Kalisis, creamed eggs are very different. Essentially you make a basic white sauce and stir in the chopped hard boiled eggs, salt, pepper, and serve it all warm over toast. It's more of an old fashioned breakfast dish. You can add any herbs or spices you like, personally I like them with a little curry powder stirred in.
This sounds really yummy!!!

We blow our eggs into a bowl before we decorate them (that's just they way my mom always did it), and I make a strata or frittata or quiche.

Last year instead of dying them, I got out some tissue paper, and some shape paper punches and cut out a bunch of butterflys, flowers, birds etc. and then glued those on. They looked so pretty, and I saw today that martha stewarts mag has something similar.

This year we are going to break the tops off our dyed eggs and plant little sprouted seedlings into them. (Saw it in some mag at the store, thought it was a great idea!
)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.