Is sugar addictive? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For as long as I can remember, I've craved (and binged on) sugar. I don't binge on other types of food. I'm not diabetic and haven't tested as being insulin-resistant. But I really do feel out of control when it comes to sugar. My son seriously craves it too--and sometimes wants to eat lunch early so he can have his dessert faster. What's going on?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 03:31 AM

i didn't beleive that sugar is addictive. But a quick search made me change my opinion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_addiction
#3 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 AM

IIRC I read about a study where addicted rats chose sugar over heroine, implying that the sugar addiction is stronger than the heroine addiction!

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#4 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 AM

I would guess the answer is that for some people, yes sugar is addictive and that for other people it is not.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#5 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 09:20 AM

not only is it very, very addictive....it leaves you feeling hungry all the time (esp HFCS) so that you will have the urge to eat it more and more. the only time i will 'binge' eat is when I've eaten something with sugar in it.

tinybutterfly, this may be true. it may be that people with candida issues or other physical factors like it could be lead to addiction to sugar. however, it may be that some sugars mess with your satiety/hunger hormones ....this may be more likely in some people than others....and leave you feeling hungry all the time. Either way, for some of us the stuff is like crack--stay away!
#6 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 AM

Is this just any sugar or is unrefined sugar okay (like turbinado sugar)? I usually use honey or agave to sweeten things, but sometimes it seems impossible to avoid using actual cane sugar, like when I make cookies or something.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#7 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
I would guess the answer is that for some people, yes sugar is addictive and that for other people it is not.
:
#8 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewyf View Post
Is this just any sugar or is unrefined sugar okay (like turbinado sugar)? I usually use honey or agave to sweeten things, but sometimes it seems impossible to avoid using actual cane sugar, like when I make cookies or something.
I've heard agave is pretty bad, like HFCS.

I have noticed when I concentrate on eating foods with a low glycemic index, i am hungry less and my taste for sweets declines. So something sweet I used to eat starts to taste TOO sweet.

I'm trying to get back on that bandwagon, not to avoid sweets, but to loose weight. I don't think regular sugar in moderation is bad for me, personally, though I understand other people are much more sensitive.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#9 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
tinybutterfly, this may be true. it may be that people with candida issues or other physical factors like it could be lead to addiction to sugar.
I've struggled with sugar addiction most of my life (partly psychological, however). I can honestly say that if/when I'm regularly taking probiotics, I have way less trouble. I'm not even sure if the physical side of it still operates, although the psychological side does. For me, at least, the candida (didn't even know I had it, until I had some probably yeast-related problems with my c-section scar) seems to be a major factor...even though I don't seem to have anything like the overgrowth that some people have (eg. never had a classic "feminine" yeast infection).

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#10 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
Really?? Any ideas of the source, or the rational behind it? I was planning on buying 4L of raw agave necatar and splitting it with a friend who raves about it.
#11 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 03:11 PM

Read Sugar Blues by William Dufty.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#12 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana View Post
Really?? Any ideas of the source, or the rational behind it? I was planning on buying 4L of raw agave necatar and splitting it with a friend who raves about it.
Something about it being processed at really high temps...

Weren't there a bunch of anti-agave threads here a year or so ago?

ETA Here's an article http://www.living-foods.com/articles/agave.html

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#13 of 13 Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
A lot of it is also adulterated with HFCS, because the demand for agave has outstripped the supply. Kind of like we've been seeing with adulterated olive oil. There is a finite amount of it in the world, and the amount on the store shelves exceeds the amount of it being grown.

As for whether or not sugar can be addictive, absolutely. But for many people it's not just about "sugar", but also refined carbs and even grains. When I was eating grain free, I could take or leave sugar. Even when I was limiting grains to brown rice once or twice a week, I could take or leave it. But add in bread, tortillas, or any other form of processed grain, or when I started eating grain more than very occasionally, and the sugar cravings are back full-bore.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page