Non-meat, non-dairy quick protein sources? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Analyzing our diet, we eat only about 12% protein per day! We do eat meat, but sparingly (because our budget can't afford the better, pastured organic meats but in small quantities). My children are vegetable lovers, can tolerate meat but do terribly on dairy. We eat good protein rich dinners, but breakfast and lunch are nutrient poor protein wise. Any suggestions?
#2 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 06:06 PM

I have been trying to think of protein sources ever since that thread on raw sources of protein. It's hard to come up with one outside the box!

As far as I know, proteins are gained from these foods:
meats (including eggs)
dairy products
beans (including soy products)
nuts and seeds (need the right combo to get complete protein)

I think certain whole grains like oatmeal have a little bit, but not much.
Do some veggies like avocados have protein in them?

I am interested in learning more about alternate sources of protein because honestly these are all I know about. My kids eat some meat but mostly dairy for protein. I think it is really important for young growing bodies to have adequate protein, so I'd love to hear more.

For your kids in the mornings, I'd try foods like Hummus or eggs or soy milk to add protein to their diet.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#3 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 PM

beans
lentils
hummus
nut butters
nuts
things like Cliff bars (soy protien)
eggs
soy foods (milk, fake meats, tofu)

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#4 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Eggs, soy/tofu (maybe in a fruit milkshake?). I've also heard you can cook quinoa like oatmeal for breakfast (maybe with some chopped dried fruit too) and I believe quinoa is fairly high in protien. You could do it in the crock pot if you're short on time too: link
#5 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 PM

If your main limitation is budget, then I'd say eggs and beans/lentils. While beans aren't particularly "quick", you can cook a big batch of them and freeze them in smaller portions. Lentils can be made fairly quickly though.

Nuts are great but may be a bit expensive, and I don't agree with soy at all.

Check out your whole grains. Protein varies from almost none to lots.

For breakfasts, there are lots of different ways to prepare eggs to keep things interesting. Eggs can also serve for lunch as egg salad, deviled eggs or even just hardcooked. Or you can make bean dips like hummus for veggies, or nut butter dips for hard fruits. Don't forget mung bean sprouts, which have a fair amount of protein in them and are great for eating straight or tossed with a light dressing or topping a sandwich/salad.

And it looks like your dark green veggies have a bit too - broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, collards, peas, dandelion. They're in the neighborhood of 5g per 1 c cooked, but it's still something.

You say they don't tolerate dairy very well... can they handle yogurt (or kefir)? If they can, incorporating yogurt into a breakfast smoothie or making a dip like tzatziki for veggies can give a boost to their protein intake, too. I always drain my yogurt really well, and that gives it more protein per fluid ounce since you're removing the water.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 PM

Whole wheat bread typically has 8 grams of protein per slice, so that can really add up quick, especially when pared with a nut or seed or bean (peanut/almond/sunflower/etc butter, hummus, bean dip, etc).
#7 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 PM

we keep a big dish of boiled eggs in the fridge for the kids to snack on. there is also always hummus and some sort of whole grain crackers or pita for them. whole wheat is pretty high in protein.

whoops, sorry i was just echoing some PPs i see! great minds and all.
#8 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie-fleur View Post
Analyzing our diet, we eat only about 12% protein per day! We do eat meat, but sparingly (because our budget can't afford the better, pastured organic meats but in small quantities). My children are vegetable lovers, can tolerate meat but do terribly on dairy. We eat good protein rich dinners, but breakfast and lunch are nutrient poor protein wise. Any suggestions?
As a vegan pregnant woman who has to eat lots of protein,
I have to say it's not that difficult, especially if your kids like soy, nuts etc. For breakfast some good ideas are:
tofu scramble
cereal with soymilk (I get the Soydream which has 7 grams of protein per cup) served with nuts.
Whole wheat bread with nut spreads or veggies and hummus

What I found very helpful was this site
http://www.nutritiondata.com/
You can search for the foods higher in protein in different categories eg. meats, vegetables and so on and plan your meals accordingly.

Hope this helps!!!

Greek Vegan wife to a vegan hippie farmer : and mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
#9 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 PM

When I was on a low-cal vegetarian diet if I didn't eat lentils primarily and beans/split peas secondarily pretty much every day I'd have never gotten enough protein. 1 cup of cooked lentils alone has 18g protein.
#10 of 11 Old 04-04-2009, 09:43 AM

quinoa with nuts and raisins. can be eaten like cereal or made into bars.
#11 of 11 Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 AM

We get bags of mixed nuts from Whole Foods (with no salt). My preschooler eats them right out of the bag for a very quick, high protein snack. She loves them!!

Trying to keep staying at home with my DDs: 11/95, 06/06, and 04/08. Married to my soulmate.
Got to admit it's getting better, getting better all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page