sour dough starter - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i want to make a sourdough starter, but I can't figure out if it needs yeast or not. Some recipes say you need yeast or you'll screw it up and some recipes say nope, no yeast. What's worked for you?

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 9 Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 PM

I've done both. No yeast means you need a bit longer before you have an active starter. It's also much more attuned to your local yeasts. I've had starters not be sour, but still raise my bread. I had one starter that actually made the bread taste cheddar cheesy--yum!

Sourdough starters made with yeast are 'cheating' a bit, since it's not a true, natural yeast that makes it sour, BUT it does ensure a powerful, really sour starter.

A regular sourdough starter is just equal parts water & flour, poured into a jar & covered with a towel. Each day pour out half & add in enough flour & water to fill it back to 'regular'. So if you pour out one cup of starter, put in a cup of water & flour mixture. Do this for 7 days. When you start seeing bubbles on the top you know it's active.

The yeasted ones only take a day or two out on the counter to 'finish' the fermentation & get sour.

hth!

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#3 of 9 Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 AM

I think I'm going to try to make this sourdough starter this week.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
#4 of 9 Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM

I had the best success with using a starter culture which is rich in successful yeasts and bacteria to the flour and water mixture. It really helped.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#5 of 9 Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 PM

I wondered about starter too. I did 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of water water the day before yesterday. Yesterday I dumped out half and added 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour. I'm excited to see if it works out or not!

What kind of flour do you use for your starter? Bread flour, or whole wheat, or white, or white wheat? The NT book said to use rye flour but that seems like it would be really heavy and then my DH wouldn't eat it...

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#6 of 9 Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 PM

I was reading about sourdough in the King Arthur Flour cookbook just the other day. They talked about if you are trying to make a starter in a kitchen where you haven't done any bread baking, it could be really low on natural yeast. In that case, you may want to do a yeast starter. But, if you are doing it in a kitchen you bake bread in a lot, a non yeast starter should work really well and quickly.
#7 of 9 Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
I wondered about starter too. I did 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of water water the day before yesterday. Yesterday I dumped out half and added 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour. I'm excited to see if it works out or not!

What kind of flour do you use for your starter? Bread flour, or whole wheat, or white, or white wheat? The NT book said to use rye flour but that seems like it would be really heavy and then my DH wouldn't eat it...
I just used regular AP flour, since that was all I had. Whole wheat would give a stronger yeast, I've read. Maybe half & half?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkm2e View Post
I was reading about sourdough in the King Arthur Flour cookbook just the other day. They talked about if you are trying to make a starter in a kitchen where you haven't done any bread baking, it could be really low on natural yeast. In that case, you may want to do a yeast starter. But, if you are doing it in a kitchen you bake bread in a lot, a non yeast starter should work really well and quickly.
Interesting. I didn't bake a lot, but my starter went really fast. I did it in the middle of summer though, so maybe the 90*+ days might have helped that.

I found that my starters weren't really sour, but I think it's because San Jose yeasts just aren't that sour. Nothing like San Fransisco for example. It still leavened my bread really nicely, just no strong sour flavor.

Also, if you don't want to use commercial yeast, but need something, you can crush a half a handful of grapes, *put it in a cheesecloth first* and then pour your flour & water mixture in on top of it. Grapes have a natural yeast covering them (the white film), which will help your starter really get going.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#8 of 9 Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM

You can get a free starter culture here

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/source.html

I sent for it a few months back and have been making yummy sourdough every weekend for a while now!
#9 of 9 Old 04-08-2009, 01:23 PM

I've been using hte same starter for years. I've sent it all over the place and given to many friends! I don't use commercial yeast, only sourdough. You can make things like cinnamon buns or rolls NOT sour at all just by using mores starter and not retarding in the fridge overnight

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page