How long does homemade broth last in the fridge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long does homemade beef broth last in the fridge? I made some last Saturday, put in the fridge, and then forgot to do something about it.

Do you think it would still be good?
#2 of 5 Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 PM

Does it have a "Fat cap"? That is, an intact layer of fat on top? If the fat cap is broken or it doesn't have one, I think 1 week is about the outer limit for broth. With an intact fat cap, I've been told it will last for up to a month in the fridge. I haven't made beef broth, and chicken broth's fat cap breaks too easily, so i haven't tested it, but that's what the chefs at the kitchen I volunteer at said.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 5 Old 04-18-2009, 11:42 PM

I generally just make chicken stock but I will use it for up to a week. If it has a nice thick, unbroken fat layer like the PP mentioned, I've pushed it for 10 days or so with no problems but haven't dared beyond that.

I try to freeze it if I won't use it in a few days, but I certainly understand forgetting about it - it happens!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#4 of 5 Old 04-19-2009, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

I skimmed the fat the next day after I made it. So do you think if I used it up tomorrow (having been made 8 days ago), I would be okay?
#5 of 5 Old 04-20-2009, 01:24 AM

Give it a good boil & see how it goes. It's worth a shot not to throw out good stock. From my experience, instincts can be pretty right on about if something's "iffy" or not. I'd give it a go, maybe with beans or something that's going to boil for a while, just for the case of Carley related safety

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page