Need a "beans and rice" (read- cheap ingredients) cookbook! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In an effort to slash my grocery budget, I'm looking for more ideas of meals that I can make with beans and rice (and other relatively inexpensive HEALTHY, unproccesed ingredients). Does anyone have any ideas of a cookbook or the like that focuses on more frugal ingredients? (fwiw, we try to eat a veg. diet most of the time, and avoid dairy)

most of the sites i've seen (like hillbilly housewife and the like) have a lot of processed ingredients that were bought on sale, so I'm looking for a more "natural" resource.

thanks!
#2 of 18 Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 PM

Not all the recipies are the healthiest, but I really like More With Less. There are many vegetarian recipes, and I've found that I can make many of the meals with things I usually have on hand.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#3 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 AM

More with Less and another one done in the same spirit -- Simply in Season.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#4 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 AM

I buy vegetarian cookbooks from the 60'70's at the thrift stores we arent begetarian but they are full of rice, grains and bean recipes
#5 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 AM

I have More With Less and Simply in Season! I haven't used them yet, but I will now.
#6 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 AM

I like a cookbook called Cheap.Fast.Good! by Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross. It's an omni cookbook, and it's food that we really eat. The meals are quick, they are flavorful, and we really enjoy them. I think many of the meals lend themselves to easily becoming veggie. One of our favorite meals from the book, for instance, is Lentil Chili (really, really good).

I also really love my good old fasioned Moosewood. Always good for some inspiration.

I like a good basic cookbook, too. Something like The Ultimate Southern Living or How to Cook Everything.

And, of course, ethnic food. I love Rick Bayless's Mexican Everyday or Mexico, One Plate at a Time. Just by nature, most of the ingredients are really cheap. For instance, I made my dh's birthday meal out of this cookbook this weekend. We had queso fundido with chorizo and poblanos on tortillas. The entire meal cost $9.35, and that included some splurges (out of season tomatoes), because it was a birthday.
#7 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scullery View Post
I have More With Less and Simply in Season! I haven't used them yet, but I will now.
I have yet to be disappointed with either book! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#8 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian has a lot of good basic veggie recipes with ingredients I can actually find! Something that I haven't found to be true of a LOT of other veggie cookbooks I've looked at...
#9 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Dining on a Dime

http://www.livingonadime.com/books/doddesc.htm

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#10 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 PM

I just listened to an interesting piece on NPR this morning on this very topic (she had three cookbook recommendations):
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...3056442&ps=bb3

I've heard very good things about the third on mentioned (The Art of Simple Foods) before this, and I found it in our local public library's catalog, so I'll definitely be checking into that one.
#11 of 18 Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 PM

Oats, Peas, Beans and Barley. (yep, that's the title).

Cheapest ever, IMO.

The daily bean has some good ideas too, but it's slightly more fancy.

Why not try www.vegweb.com??
You can search tons of recipes for free by category (grains, legumes)...a lot of the recipes have ratings and comments.

Hope this helps
#12 of 18 Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 AM

Another vote for more with less.
#13 of 18 Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the "More is Less" tip. I just found it at my neighborhood used book store and talked them down 25% since it was a bit ratty. Great cookbook!
#14 of 18 Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLamb View Post

most of the sites i've seen (like hillbilly housewife and the like) have a lot of processed ingredients that were bought on sale, so I'm looking for a more "natural" resource.

thanks!
If you go straight to the recipe section and ignore the "meal plans" there are actually VERY FEW recipes that call for processed foods.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#15 of 18 Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
Oats, Peas, Beans and Barley. (yep, that's the title).
:

I just stole this one from my mothers house last christmas. She told me I would never read it and it is full of good information! I really like it! Funny to see it on here. It is ancient and yellow..

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

#16 of 18 Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 PM

my two favorite cookbooks lately are Vegan with a Vengance and The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook...also, I use a lot of old (1950s and older) cookbooks...some of the pre-war ones are very good for thrifty meals without processed ingredients, though I have to substitute for the meat (the entrees are often meaty recipes).
#17 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 03:44 AM

I LOVE art of simple food, but I don't think its as recipe heavy as it could be. Its great for information about food, but specific recipes I think its a little light on. I like cookbooks that way though.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#18 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 AM

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/ca...beanrecipeshtm
really, i love the hillbilly housewife and i do not like processed ingredients, but she has good recipes. mostly in the make your own convience foods from scratch is the only place where there have been a few things i didn't like. i use better than boullion instead of cubes. she does use those a lot.

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page