non-dairy protein source for smoothies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're dairy-free, and I just got a vitamix on craig's list. I am excited. :

I want to start making a smoothie-type beverage for DH, I'm thinking light and cool, like watermelon and mint, but I want some protein too, I don't think the pure sugar (even if it is just from the fruit) is the best thing for him.

I've never made smoothies before in my life, never done anything like this. Ideas that may taste okay with melon? My first thought was almond butter, but would that work, taste-wise?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My experience with smoothies is they are cold... usually with frozen fruit for body... in this case nut butters would I'd think clump together ickily?? Not really sure. But at any rate I think almond butter and melon sound kinda icky together...

You can make good smoothies with tofu but some like to avoid the soy - so that depends on your view of soy.

You can get non-dairy coconut milk yogurt... if you want to avoid soy... or soy yogurt if you don't... I don't know if they make rice yogurt??

To me smoothies = frozen fruit, a banana (frozen or not) and yogurt - maybe a little sweetener depending on if it needs it or not... I am not really sure what I would do with melon. I could see banana and milk (cow, rice, soy, breast LOL) and nut butter working - melon... I don't know.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#3 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM

I can't imagine nut butter in a smoothie without banana, honestly. I've never tried any kind but PB, but I'm sure others would work.

My first thought is that I'd want the watermelon smoothie to be thirst quenching, not protein filled. I think just watermelon (maybe frozen?) and mint alone would be yum.

I make a good smoothie with OJ, frozen peaches, tofu/soymilk and ice cubes (optional)
#4 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 05:39 PM

I haven't ever tried this with watermelon, but I usually put tahini in mine. Just fruit, rice milk, tahini and honey.
#5 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Oh - another thought -- what about using the vitamix to make homemade almond milk (basically soak almonds and puree them, straining optional, you can google recipes)?

Then use the almond milk as a basis for a smoothie.
#6 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

You've given me good stuff to think about, and I had a moment. I don't want to give him a sugar-only thing (we're working on his adrenal fatigue, and snacks with protein have been helpful for both of us), but I could just send him in to work with a handful of nuts to have sometime in the morning as well. I mean--I don't really _need_ to combine things. Sometimes I really feel dense.

Interesting idea about the almond milk, I hadn't considered that at all, so I will. But maybe the flavor will be easier with just the watermelon and mint (saw lots of ideas for the combo, so I guess it works, but they either added yogurt or were fruit-only).

I think I have a few things to try, thanks!
#7 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 PM

Sometimes I'll toss a handful of walnuts into a smoothie.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#8 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 06:24 PM

I usually put coconut milk in fruit smoothies for the consistency and flavor. I also add a spoonful of coconut oil sometimes b/c it's really good for thyroid function and the fats help stabilize blood sugar which is nice to balance out the fruit.

Tahini is yummy w/ banana. Don't do peanuts b/c of the goitrogen thing.

If you have access to young coconuts (called pipas) you can crack them open and pour in the water - it's super rich in electrolytes and has a really nice flavor.

With a vitamix you can do green drinks too. Put in a handful of greens, cover w/ water, blend and drink.

Another great way to get fats in a smoothies ripe avocado! Yum. Now I'm craving a smoothie!
Enjoy your new Vitamix!

fp
#9 of 10 Old 04-22-2009, 08:21 PM

Soft dessert type tofu is awesome in a smoothie. No flavor really, but the texture of yogurt.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#10 of 10 Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 PM

I have made smoothies with rice protein powder in it. I too like for each meal or snack to have some sort of protein to go with it. I found powdered rice protein at our health food store.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page