Annie's cheddar bunnies have MSG (yeast extract) - Boo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know many of you on here probably know this, but Annie's cheddar bunnies snack crackers have yeast extract as an ingredient! (Yeast extract always contains MSG). I feel silly that I just realized this yesterday. We avoid MSG like the plague and I read ingredient labels on everything, even at Whole Foods and other health stores. I am even very knowledgeable about "weird" sounding ingredients and I *knew* what yeast extract was. Yet for over a year, my eyes missed it on the nutrition label.

I called Annie's yesterday and talked to the cust. rep. It bugs me that they still stand by their statement on the front of the box that says "no icky additives". The cust. rep said yeast extract is not an additive and it's "like adding salt". He also said some rather snotty things to me. At any rate, I wasn't going to argue with him, I just asked him to record my wishes that Annie's change their formula to remove yeast extract from all their products. And I informed him that I would do my part to let everyone else know about this. It's a very deceptive practice, IMO.

Anyway, if you agree, maybe you could call Annie's or write on their website to ask them to remove yeast extract from their products.

My son is going to miss his bunnies. And now I have to find another little snack item. Just makes me sick to know that I let him eat those for so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Hmm.. that is indeed discouraging and something that I too have missed for months and months now. I did look at my cinnamon bunny grahams and they don't have yeast extract listed.. though they DO have 'natural flavors' - and the gods know what THATS hiding!!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:00 AM

Shame on annie's. It just seems so sad that if you want something halfway decent these days, you have to make it yourself! :

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Old 05-06-2012, 08:40 PM

This is untrue... I myself was worried about it but see for yourself....

Does Amy’s use any of the ‘alternatively named’ MSG products such as hydrolized protein or yeast extract in any of their products?

Annie’s: Our natural yeast extracts are made from food grade baker’s yeasts. No manufactured MSG is added to our products to enhance flavor. We care a great deal that our products are very clean and that we do not use artificial flavors, colors, or enhancers.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 PM

So is it or is it not?  My DD lives on cheddar bunnies!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Ermini View Post

This is untrue... I myself was worried about it but see for yourself....

Does Amy’s use any of the ‘alternatively named’ MSG products such as hydrolized protein or yeast extract in any of their products?

Annie’s: Our natural yeast extracts are made from food grade baker’s yeasts. No manufactured MSG is added to our products to enhance flavor. We care a great deal that our products are very clean and that we do not use artificial flavors, colors, or enhancers.

So, is it possible that they truly are using food grade bakers yeasts? I wish there was a way to truly know!

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:37 PM

No No No... we are not talking about baking yeast that you use to bake bread.... Yeast *extract* is manufactured by a highly refined process. Yes - it still contains msg. Look at the wording, "no manufactured msg is added..."

Naturally occurring msg... yes, but just because it's natural doesn't mean it's good for your health. Sadly, this is all marketing.

I did a little reading, this is where I started http://www.msgexposed.com/campbells-new-msg-select-soup-and-the-yeast-extract-situation/ There is a pretty good explanation and some really helpful information down the page.

Still not buying them.

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Old 05-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalmom View Post

No No No... we are not talking about baking yeast that you use to bake bread.... Yeast *extract* is manufactured by a highly refined process. Yes - it still contains msg. Look at the wording, "no manufactured msg is added..."

Naturally occurring msg... yes, but just because it's natural doesn't mean it's good for your health. Sadly, this is all marketing.

I did a little reading, this is where I started http://www.msgexposed.com/campbells-new-msg-select-soup-and-the-yeast-extract-situation/ There is a pretty good explanation and some really helpful information down the page.

Still not buying them.

Me either. There are other treats.

Joyful mama of 3.

User Tag List