Can you use regular flour in place of bread flour? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-10-2004, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure you can, but wasn't sure if the results would come out the same.

Should you add wheat gluten to the regular flour (it seems like I remember reading that bread flour has more gluten in it.... can't remember)

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 01-10-2004, 11:35 PM

It depends on the recipe. For most bread recipes, you should be able to use all-purpose white flour in place of white bread flour. In some, you might notice that the bread doesn't rise as high, but that might be all. My mom has made bread for more than 30 years, and only in the last 5 years or so has started using bread flour in her bread. Her bread always turns out, and it is fantastic! So good in fact, when my brothers and I went to college, we always requested several loaves to take back to the dorm with us.

Good luck, and happy baking!
#3 of 7 Old 01-11-2004, 06:06 AM

Bread flour does have more gluten. You can buy gluten, and add it to regular flour when you make bread. I don`t think it makes as much difference when using white flour, but when you bake bread with whole wheat it helps to give the bread more rise and a better texture. Baking bread is not hard, just takes time to complete the whole process, and lots of pratice. Once you understand the *feel* of the dough it is pretty easy.
Kathryn, who will try and bake some bread tomorrow.
#4 of 7 Old 01-11-2004, 08:57 AM
NEE

How about a recipe that calls for "self-rising" flour. I'm assuming it would work to use all-purpose flour and add some baking powder?? Anyone have an idea how much I should add? And if I need to add anything else?

Thanks! I just always have a-p flour on hand, and also have never seen organic "self-rising" flour.
Happy baking.
#5 of 7 Old 01-11-2004, 04:29 PM

To substitute for self-rising flour:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
#6 of 7 Old 01-11-2004, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I should have clarified that I use either organic whole wheat flour or organic whole wheat pastry flour to make everything. I don't buy white flour products and am searching for recipes to make these items at home using whole wheat flour.

I found a soft pretzel recipe that called for bread flour but I can't seem to find organic whole wheat bread flour anywhere.

So far I've had pretty good luck substituting the wheat flour for white flour, but haven't tried a recipe yet that called for bread flour.

Thanks again!
#7 of 7 Old 01-12-2004, 08:38 PM
NEE

Thanks for the info Snugglemama! I remember when I was first learning to bake and kept trying a recipe for banana bread that called for self-rising flour. I didn't know what it was and just used all-purpose flour and kept ending up with banana-flavored bricks!

I'm going to try a biscuit-topped veggie and lentil bake using your adjustments to the recipe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page