formula alternatives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-09-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there even such a thing - besides BM of course.

My cousin's babe is 4 months, and was EBF until recently. Baby was already showing signs of food allergies. Since returning to work - mom has not been able to find time to pump more than once a day. they were running about 2 bottles short every day. So a few days ago, mom starting supplementing with formula. Baby is now really sick - colic to the extreme, mucusy poo, vomitting - the whole gambit. Obviously she is reacting to the formula. She has known allergies to eggs and sunflower seeds/oil. Mom tried the one formula that used safflower oil instead of sunflower oil but baby is still really sick. Don't know if it is the oil, the cow's milk or what......

I can't find any formula - not even the prescription ones - that don't use sunflower or safflower oil. My cousin is wondering if goats milk would be okay instead - I tried to explain that it won't be balanced nutrition the way that formula would. And that if she is reacting to cow milk, goat milk would probably make her sick too.....

Any ideas? Aside from quit the bottles and go back to EBF, that was my suggestion, but "it is just not doable"

My son has food allergies - despite being EBF (and still nursing at almost 4!), so I know what they are going thru and how hard the elminiation diet, etc is - but my heart is breaking for that poor baby.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She might check out the homemade formula recipe on www.westonprice.org.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page