Mothering Forum banner

best containers for freezing?

490 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mamadelbosque 
#1 ·
what are the best/safest/most reliable containers to freeze food in? just anything glass? i am due to have a babe in 5 weeks and want to freeze some meals. also, if anyone has good, vegetarian meal ideas i would take 'em!

#2 ·
I use lots of leftover glass jars from salsa, applesauce, etc. The ones with wide lids are especially nice.

For casseroles, soups, meals, etc., I guess you could use pyrex or corning ware casserole dishes. I don't have enough of these to freeze and then to use in the kitchen. I've used the big aluminum casserole dishes before and would recommend them just for convenience with the new baby coming.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ladylove View Post
I use lots of leftover glass jars from salsa, applesauce, etc. The ones with wide lids are especially nice.

For casseroles, soups, meals, etc., I guess you could use pyrex or corning ware casserole dishes. I don't have enough of these to freeze and then to use in the kitchen. I've used the big aluminum casserole dishes before and would recommend them just for convenience with the new baby coming.
I have lots of leftover jars but I thought glass exploded in the freezer?

#4 ·
It depends on what your freezing! If your talking leftover soups/stews/etc I personally must admit to a continuing preference for the ziplock containers. They are plastic, so I like to make sure whatever's going in them is nice'n cooled down first. Alternatively, you can use the pyrex glass dishes which come in similar sizes (1, 2, 4 & 8 cup that I've seen/have), though they're much pricier. Or as others have said use leftover glass jars from other stuff (or in my case, empty canning jars). The thing with glass is you can't fill it all the way up, only like 3/4 else you're likely to get exploding glass, which isn't much fun

Occasionally I make a batch of lasagna in 2 bread pans and freeze one - just let it cool & then wrap with plastic and stick in the freezer. I assume you could do the same with most any casserole, though I don't make any others, so I don't really know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.