GrainFree/SugarFree Support? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 99 Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What effect would the clay have on digestion? Also, how do you take it...is it in a capsule? Thanks!

Yesterday was a good day. Upping my fats has made my mood more stable. I just feel good in general. Decreasing my protein hasn't really bothered me too much either. I've been able to tolerate egg yolks okay (yay!!!!!), so I've been experimenting with almond meal pancakes. Sooooo good!

As far as cheats go, I think rice is probably your best option crunchy-mama.
#92 of 99 Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlin View Post
What effect would the clay have on digestion? Also, how do you take it...is it in a capsule? Thanks!
the clay would probably slow down digestion to some extent. the stuff i bought is suspended in liquid and you're supposed to add it to yet more liquid.

of course, i haven't felt the need to use it since i bought it. however, i do know someone who uses pascalite clay regularly, mixed with konjac and psyllium. she claims that this mixture spares her from accidental glutening when she eats out (she is a celiac) - she doesn't get the "oops i ate gluten" effects so long as she uses the mixture pre-emptively at the start of her meal.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#93 of 99 Old 06-29-2009, 03:11 PM

whoah, went overboard today making a spelt loaf!
I was trying to clear out the pantry before our groceries arrive tomorrow (late again!)... it made me nauseous and I threw up! It had been a really long time since I had a bread product, bah... only good thing about it was it reinforced my desicion to be wheat-free---even spelt makes me ill now.
Looking forward to all the good quality meats and vegetables and berries coming tomorrow--feels like christmas
#94 of 99 Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hey All! We have been slacking around here! How is everyone?

I am doing good and on the wagon, yipee! Feeling pretty awesome! House is looking awesomely clean and I am working out again(whenever I go back on grains I loose the energy to work out).

Monday was my b-day and dh made me burgers w/ hotdogs(I used lettuce buns) french fries and some chocolate cookies made w/ coconut flour!

I made a meal plan this week and am sticking to it fairly well.
Monday- burgers
Tuesday- stew
WEdnesday- beef curry(served over cauliflower for me)

Now I cannot remember the rest of the week but I have it wrote down somewhere!

Supper was 2 hrs ago and now I am craving a snack big time but trying to think of something safe!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#95 of 99 Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have GOT to get some coconut and almond flour! I think a health food store in town might carry it.

I am actually contemplating roasting some cauliflower and doing a curry on top for dinner!

Had a very active day, pulling a wooden wagon with 2 kids around the Canada Day parade and festivities and home again for 4 hours.

Had about half my usual apple/banana/almond butter/oatmeal for breakfast because we were rushed, a taco salad w/beef for lunch, and a beet/carrot/apple juice. I need something substantial. Um. Now. Time to get off the computer and chop something....
#96 of 99 Old 07-04-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oops! Never replied- glad to see you still hear!

My planned meals went much better this week. I have felt great overall but the last 2 days I have had a horrible headache and I am not sure why. I will be really, really happy when it is gone- I can hardly think at all.

I made some coconut milk yogurt and had that w/ some blueberries and raw honey(just a bit) this am I got good probiotics in but it didn't hold very long, but my appetite is SO sporadic it is hard ot say.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#97 of 99 Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all-
Still trudging along here. Doing well on the grain front, but not as good on the sugar front. We had a b-b-q yesterday so I made food to take(as I cannot trust the family to have ANYTHING safe for us). I made typical bbq fare as it was a potluck so the dishes I brought needed to be "shareworthy" and the family here HATES anything different. So, I made homemade baked beans and potato salad. For just us I made some plain burger patties and then some grainfree chocolate chip cookies(sweetened w/ raw honey). They were supper yummy! A definite treat and surely not something I need to eat a lot of at all! They had a wonderful buttery taste- I think because of the high fat content of the almond flour and the coconut oil I used- the texture was great and they just looked perfect.

OH- and just as I suspected the only meats there was hamburgers(ALL brushed w/ bbq sauce - made w/ beer(which of course has gluten/wheat)- why they couldn't have made any plain is beyond me- it would seem as horrible as they are about things that there is no way they can never manage to have any safe food unless it was on purpose.

Today we had a play date and I cooked lunch for everyone- I made it according to all of our diets- gf/df/grainfree for us- gf/nutfree for 1friend and Feingold Stage one for the other! It was a great playdate and we all ate well. I made roasted chicken(legs and thighs), df mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes- squash- onions- and beets, fresh corn on the cob- watermelon and homemade mashmallows(these are pretty much pure sugar but I couldn't help but try them I just had a few though!). The kids LOVED the marshmallows! And no one felt deprived at all. OH- and we had a big spinach salad- salad bar set up! Best part is I have leftovers for supper!

Oh- my big indiscretion- I had a shake this weekend- dairy and copious amts of sugar. Man I am stupid. The hands have stopped itching, but my neck still is and my breasts and vagina are very yeasty- my breasts are so itchy it isn't even funny. It so wasn't worth it!

Here is the cookie recipe for anyone interested:
(btw I love this lady's blog and I see she has a cookbook coming out very soon- an almond flour cookbook!)
http://www.elanaspantry.com/video-tu...-chip-cookies/

Oh- and I also did a lovely orange dark chocolate bar cut into chunks for the chocolate- man it was yum! Thankfully I had the forsight to only do a halfbatch so between me and the 2 kids there was only 12!

#98 of 99 Old 09-04-2009, 06:30 PM
nym

Can I bump this up? How are you ladies doing?

I am going grain and sugar free and I was hoping that there were some others around here that are doing it as well, I need the support!

I have been slowely making changes in my diet to decrease the amount of grains and sugar and I feel I am ready for the next step of eliminating them all together.. hopefully lol
#99 of 99 Old 09-04-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hello! Still trudging alone! Certainly not perfect, but I do try, some days are better than others! I have decided to let myself have corn as it has never bothered me and - a couple servings of gf grains a week for breakfast. I went to a new breakfast schedule as I needed to cut the budget and get it more organzied and that is how it came out. Not saying it is ideal, but it is what it is right now. More than anything though I need to watch the sugar- natural or not that is the big thing that gets me- it means little to my body if I am eating grain free cupcakes w/ loads of raw honey- still not good for me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page