Can water kefir make you sick? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vomiting, diarrhea, about 8 hours after consumption. Then I was fine. Haven't been back for another sip, though.

Is the decadent chocolate rice/soy ice "cream" a more likely culprit? Or the toasted marshmallows followed by tortilla chips? (looking back, it wasn't the best snacking evening)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#2 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM

I wasn't a fan of the water kefir. I just couldn't choke much down. But with all the things you ate, I'd say the ice cream with many ingredients is the more likely culprit, or all the corn.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 01:08 PM

I've never felt bad after water kefir. I have used it for a year or two. Did the ice cream have a sugar alcohol like maltitol perhaps?

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#4 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM

Anything can make you sick, if it's spoiled. That sounds suspiciously like food poisoning to me.
#5 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

I thought food poisoning, too. DH is a little casual in leaving chicken out, but no one else (21-mo-old, 12-yr-old, 17-yr-old, DH) got sick - just me. I am the only one who drank the water kefir or ate the ice cream.

I threw up at 2am, several times. Slept on the closet floor (closest to the toilet so I could get there w/o disturbing DS) for the rest of the night. My tummy was a little woozy in the am, but I made it through the day just fine. No other symptoms.

I'm wondering if the kefir even worked. It was my first time, and it still tasted like old sugar-water, after 72+ hours. We'll see how this batch turns out. Not sure if I want to finish drinking the first batch.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 PM

I would dump it and start fresh. When I first got my water crystals I had to make a few batches before they "woke up" and started working.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#7 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
I would dump it and start fresh. When I first got my water crystals I had to make a few batches before they "woke up" and started working.
THat's what happened to me, too. It took about 3 batches for it to turn out. The first batch tasted like sugar water to me, too.
#8 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh, thank you f-or the advice. I'
ll go downst
airs a
nd do
a
new b
at
ch
as
so
o\\ as
\DS| is in bed. He is\\]elping me type.lool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page