What do I do if I don't want to give my child cow's milk when we are done BF? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 07-02-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is only 6 months and we plan on BF for at least 6 more months, but I was wondering if when we are done do I have to give some kind of milk....cow's, goat's, soy??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 PM

You don't have to give a 1 year old any kind of milk if you don't want to. It's pushed a lot because it's a relatively cheap and easy way to get calories and nutrients (particularly calcium) into a child. If you feed him a healthy diet otherwise, it won't be a problem. My DS drinks very little milk, but he does eat quite a bit of yogurt and cheese because it's something he likes and it's easy for me.
#3 of 7 Old 07-02-2009, 11:56 PM

Some folks do raw goat's milk (or pastuerized) if they avoid cow's. We are currently non-dairy and use coconut milk in general to replace dairy, although it does not contain the calcium and other added vitamins. Here is a link to a coconut milk tonic that adds calcium using dolomite. http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/...ilk-tonic.html

I think adding CLO to your diets could get the Vit. D that I believe is added into milk. I also think the vitamins we usually rely on milk for, in general, are just added after pastuerization, so able to be gotten in other supps or foods.

Good luck figuring out what you want to do!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods

#4 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 12:00 AM

I BF for as long as possible (the goal is at least 2 years) but at some point along the way, DC start to get raw goat milk too.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son stopped drinking BM from bottles at daycare when he was 13 months old - he simply drank water, though he nursed almost all the time when we were together - evenings and weekends - weaning only this past February. Even now at 4, he doesn't drink any form of milk - almond, rice, coconut (we're a casein-free family) have all received "YUCK" faces. Of course, he's told me that mama's milk tastes like apple cider - so of course all other milk would taste yuck compared to that.

I just make sure that he gets a good amount of fat from other sources, vitamin A and D through a good CLO (and limited sunscreen use at home), quality meats, and a mess of veggies. He still drinks only water at daycare but gets herbal infusions (tea) or water at home.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#6 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 12:33 AM

humans need a full-fat milk for at least 2 full years. If you allow your child to nurse to a natural weaning age (2yrs or more) then there is no need for any other milk.

-Angela
#7 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
humans need a full-fat milk for at least 2 full years. If you allow your child to nurse to a natural weaning age (2yrs or more) then there is no need for any other milk.
More on this from kellymom, a/b the benefits of extended breastfeeding: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextende...html#normality

Quote:
- The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that breastfeeding continue throughout the first year of life and that "Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired." They also note that "If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned." (AAFP 2001)

-A US Surgeon General has stated that it is a lucky baby who continues to nurse until age two. (Novello 1990)

-The World Health Organization emphasizes the importance of nursing up to two years of age or beyond (WHO 1992, WHO 2002).

-Scientific research by Katherine A. Dettwyler, PhD shows that 2.5 to 7.0 years of nursing is what our children have been designed to expect (Dettwyler 1995).
I had a lot of trouble getting breastfeeding started, and would not judge other mamas for ending nursing when it felt best for them and their dc based on personal circumstances, but I do cherish my nursing relationship w/ my 2+ yo ds, and am very grateful we are still going. I'd second the recommendation to keep on nursing if it is a possibility for you! I'd also look into making sure all of your own nutritional needs are met for both you and your dc, who is reaping those nutritional benefits by nursing.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robynholly View Post
we plan on BF for at least 6 more months
I just reread your post, and caught this--sounds like you are open to nursing beyond the 1 year mark. Just wanted to acknowledge that! Also, maybe check out some paleo diet info--that is one (of the many) non-dairy using diets/ways of eating out there, perhaps there will be helpful info on meeting your dietary needs w/out milk in some of those circles? HTH!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page