how many times a week does your evening meal contain meat? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 07-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We eat meat (chicken is the only type we get) maybe once a week, more like once every couple of weeks. But we eat lots of other stuff (i.e. we're not vegans).
#32 of 46 Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 PM

2-4 times a week, poultry mainly, occasional fish, red meat maybe once a month or less and pork never. We don't eat meat at any other meal really(or if we do then dinner is meatless) and I'm not counting eggs.

I could do with way less and feel better, but Dh needs it more so it's a compromise.
#33 of 46 Old 07-12-2009, 10:55 PM

I'd say we have meat (beef, lamb, goat, chickenor fish rarely, but a flesh protein) 4 or 5 times a week for dinner. (leftovers occasionally for lunch, as a very rare treat for breakfast). We have some animal protein with every dinner though, little bits of meat/chicken, eggs, or at the very least stock (more often, meat/chicken or eggs). We also drink grassfed cream for dessert almost every day. Our beef is grassfed, pastured, and local, our chickens the best we can afford (usually rosies....), and the eggs pastured and local. We also eat a LOT of animal fat in our meals, butter, chicken fat, turkey fat, beef fat, fat from the meat itself, eggs, cream, whole milk....

I guess some folks might do well on vegetarian or vegan food. DP doesn't do well at all, and me? If I don't get enough protein and fairly frequent red meat, I start daydreaming about going vampiric on a deer or cow. literally. well, or maybe a bit more like a lion. a masai eating style lion? basically a vampire who likes the meat after it's finished its treat. highly disturbing. way easier to eat meat and prevent the protein/iron deficiency scary cravings.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#34 of 46 Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
Geez, that would be hard. My sympathies! You'll have to get yourself a nice fat black bean burrito as a treat when out and about sometime!
Well, I'm nursing so I won't be able to do that for a while. But you better believe I will when ds weans!
#35 of 46 Old 07-13-2009, 02:02 PM

We have fish 3-4x's per week. My girls are veggies, and dh and I eat fish. I could easily be almost all veggie and eat fish 1-2x/mth but dh craves it so we have it more often.
#36 of 46 Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 PM

Probably 5 - 6 dinners per week. Most lunches are leftovers, so even for lunch that many times. Even things like our bean dishes are flavored with at least a small amount of meat. Dh is diabetic, so we have pasta occasionally and it is often meatless. I make a lot of Indian dishes that are vegetarian, too. Some weeks it might be 2 or 3 times and some weeks all 7 nights, but we eat meat a lot.

I do get my meat locally and in bulk (by the side or animal).
#37 of 46 Old 07-13-2009, 04:20 PM

we have some meat with almost every dinner - normally chicken or turkey (anything requiring ground beef we replace with ground turkey) We used to eat a lot of fish but lately the smell makes me sick and we have the odd BBQ hamburger or small steak on the weekends

for breakfast I have yogurt and fruit and lunch for me has just been veggies and home-made dip the past few weeks- so by dinner time I neeeeed some meat!!

♥ Hubby and I expecting our first : January 12, 2010 ♥
#38 of 46 Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 PM

none we're lacto-ovo (3 of us) and vegans (3 of us) and one meat eater, but not in the house. Dp can NOT eat meat, he gets IBS flare up's if he does.
#39 of 46 Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Every night. Some nights, it's fish, but only about once every 7-10 days. We eat a lot of chicken. We rarely eat meat at our other meals.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#40 of 46 Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 PM

Almost every night, almost every lunch. Rarely breakfast, but that's because I'm just not up for cooking a bunch in the mornings. Unless we're eating leftover supper for breakfast, that is.

We obtain most all of our meats thru wild sources, or raise it ourselves, though. We raise rabbits, chickens, and guineas, and now goats. My mom raises goats, and her husband traps feral pigs. We fish, and get shrimp practically around the corner from our house. Most of our meats are free, minus a bit of gas to go to my mom's to butcher pigs and goats and fish, and minus the feed we feed our rabbits and chickens, although we mostly let our chickens free range. Can't keep the guineas from free ranging, lol.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#41 of 46 Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 PM

I'd say three or four and, like the pp mentioned, it isn't usually in large quantities. Maybe chicken breasts one night but others it is more like a condiment, like a bit of sausage in lentils.

We do eat a lot of beans, though. MMMM.
#42 of 46 Old 07-15-2009, 05:38 PM

We eat dead animal of some sort 2-4x a week. I'm trying to work in more fish, as I seem to do better with that than with red meat. :

And I think it's unfair to say that everyone has the same nutritional requirements. We're different in other ways, why not that?

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#43 of 46 Old 07-15-2009, 06:02 PM

I'd say an average of 6 nights a week.
#44 of 46 Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
7. Its not always huge amounts, like last night we just had salads with some ham.
Ditto that here. We're kind of limited on non-meat protein sources due to food allergies, so there's almost always some meat in our evening meals.
#45 of 46 Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
I never had any health issues as a vegan. Nope, fit as a fiddle! BUT I always drank a ton of soy milk (and I don't follow the soy is bad thing; I just don't believe it, I think it's a wonderful gift from the planet) which supplements the b12/protein.

I am lacto-ovo now for convenience and coz my family LOVES eggs and cheese. Left to my own devices, I definitely drift into the vegan/raw spectrum. I just feel like I thrive that way! L/O is so much easier when planning for a family with varying needs/tastes tho.

I understand that different people have different dietary needs, though, and so I don't flame meat-eaters (okay, that one time when DP ordered veal. I just could not NOT say something . . . .)

BUT, I don't think that there's anything inherently unhealthy with a well-planned vegan diet. That's the key, with veganism, you really have to be VERY mindful (it can be a PITA), and for some veg folk, that's just not possible---this is usually when symptoms of ill health start to show.

Not to hijack this into a meat vs. veg thread, that's not productive for anyone. There are plenty more healthy vegans than sad anemic ones, tho, IME
: My evening meal contains meats zero nights a week. Lack of protein is not an issue, never has been. Honestly I get plenty. No health problems here. Some of us can't function on eating animals.
#46 of 46 Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 AM

probably about 5 or 6, and a couple of those are fish.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page