"Expeller-Pressed" Coconut Oil vs. extra virgin CO - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-11-2009, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a huge difference?

I went out and bought some Tropical Traditions organic expeller-pressed coconut oil. Is it as good as extra-virgin CO or am I wasting my time taking it? I'm trying it out for weight loss purposes, as well as some severe dry skin issues.

Would I do better going out and buying extra virgin, and if so, which brand would you recommend?

Thanks!

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#2 of 4 Old 07-11-2009, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have the same question.
#3 of 4 Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 PM

This is from Tropical Traditions website:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm#11

2. Are the Nutrient Benefits of EPCO the same as Virgin Coconut Oil (VCNO)?
As far as the comparison between the Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil (EPCO)
and the VCNO, the EPCO still has the medium chain fatty acids/tryglicerides (MCTs) that are the major reason for the nutrient benefits of coconut oil. These are what studies say increase metabolism, support the immune system, etc. What the EPCO is missing is some of the nutrients and anti-oxidant properties that are in VCNO, like Vitamin E, for example (although coconut oil is not a real significant source of vitamin E: Palm oil is better for that.)

The general rule in nutrition is that the closer to nature/natural the better. What we do know, is that many of the studies that have been done on MCTs and report their benefits have been done on regular (non-virgin) coconut oil, or in some cases pure extracted MCT’s taken out of coconut oil. The customer testimonies (which may not be typical) and feedback we have gotten from our VCNO suggests that it is more potent than refined coconut oil (EPCO). But many people are reporting good results from the EPCO as well.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#4 of 4 Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM

I just read on Sally Fallon's "Eat Fat Lose Fat" website today that for people who can't handle the taste of coconut, to try expeller pressed. So I think if she's recommending it, it must still have it's desired effect. ? I personally use mostly expeller pressed because I just don't like the coconut taste.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page