Meatloaf ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a knock-out meatloaf recipe?

DH loves it, but I have never been a fan of big hunks of ground beef. Recently we had restaurant meatballs that I flipped over. I suspect they had sausage in them as well? I thought, if meatloaf tasted like this, I would love it!

Are there "other" ways to make meatloaf? Or maybe my idea of regular meatloaf has something wrong with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 08:46 PM

i'm also interested in this....

::
#3 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 08:52 PM

Here is my meatloaf recipie...its pretty good if I do say so myself. My kids gobble it down.

1.5 lb hamburger
1 small onion minced
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, or oatmeal
salt and pepper to taste
1tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp of ketchup
dash of worchestire sauce

Mix it all together and put in a loaf pan, bake @ 350 for 1hr to 1hr 15mins.
I decorate the top with ketchup too, just a few squiggles because my 4 year old likes it.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#4 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 08:59 PM

ooo, i didn't know you could use oatmeal!

also, the woshtishire must be like the secret ingredient.

have you ever made this recipe and froze it?

::
#5 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 PM

I make zucchini meat loaf. I don't have specific measurements for ingredients, though-- I mostly eye it up.

I use ground beef, breadcrumbs, a big squeeze of ketchup, onion, and an egg, which is a pretty standard meatloaf. I season it with salt and pepper and oregano. But I also add very finely diced zucchini or yellow summer squash, finely chopped sweet red peppers, and grated carrot. I use an amount of veggies almost equal to the amount of meat, so that the meat loaf is really chock-full of vegetables. Then I just bake it like you would normally, with some ketchup on top.

The loaf doesn't hold its shape as nicely as I'd like, because the vegetables prevent it from sort of sticking together. So sometimes when you try and slice it, the slices crumble a bit. But it's YUMMY.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#6 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 01:57 AM

my secret ingrediant is lots of ketchup, and a ketchup glaze. I probably use a cup of ketchup in the meatloaf with 1 lb ground beef? I'm not sure. I also use oatmeal, or bread crumbs, but oatmeal more often. Who has enough bread crumbs to actually stretch the ground beef. I also make sure there is a generous layer of corn syrup free ketchup on top of the meatloaf before I bake it, this makes a nice sweet rich glaze, and those top bites are the best part.

My basic recipe is :
saute 1 onion in olive or coconut oil or beef or chicken fat, cook up a little oatmeal (still don't have the right proportions yet, but tastes good). Let these cool a bit.

Add 1 egg, bread crumbs, oatmeal, onions, salt and pepper, a lot of ketchup, and 1 lb ground beef (fatty is good). put in a loaf pan, cover with lots of ketchup, bake at 375 for oh 30-45 minutes.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#7 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducereuserecycle View Post
ooo, i didn't know you could use oatmeal!

also, the woshtishire must be like the secret ingredient.

have you ever made this recipe and froze it?
I freeze it uncooked, then thaw the day of cooking.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#8 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 07:24 PM

I basically do what lyra does above but I like bready meatloaf so I use about 1/2 to 1/3 bread crumbs, old bread, crackers, oats... If I have it I use the pulp from my carrot juicing and the rest meat. I use a couple eggs instead of just 1, sometimes 2 or 3.mine doesn't fall apart that bad maybe it's the bread or the extra egg???

Tip if your kids turn their noses to meatloaf, try making it in a character cake pan like you would for a birthday cake, they come in all different characters and shapes.
#9 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 PM

Check this thread out from when I asked for meatloaf recipes not long ago - ohmigosh, YUMMY! I have zero complaints and I've tried almost all of them by now :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page