Can I freeze chicken stock in ziplock bags? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I made boiled chicken yesterday and it made a lot of chicken stock at the same time. Right now its in a bunch of large ziplock containers but I need them for regular left over storage in the fridge. I don't have glass jars and stuff for storing stuff so the only thing I can think of is ziplock bags. Would this be ok? I'm boiling more chicken tomorrow before it goes bad and I will end up with a ton more so I gotta do something

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I usually freeze in a container and then when it's frozen take the "lump" and store it in a plastic bag. I;ve never put it directly into a bag.

For containers I've used silicone muffin trays, ice cube trays, pyrex jugs. Pretty much whatever I have to hand.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done it. Be sure to leave room for expansion and double bag it. And be sure to put them on a cookie sheet or something so they freeze flat. It hasn't been a problem.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 PM

Make sure it's cool before you pour it in the bags. I worry about leaching from plastics with hot ingredients being added to bags.

And from experience: I second the double-bagging recommendation!

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 PM

I freeze it in plastic bags (always make sure its cool first!) and then make sure to freeze it flat. I've never needed to double bag it, but I don't defrost in the bags.

I wack the frozen bags against the fridge or counter, and it breaks into a few peices which can be removed from the bag. I then let these defrost either in the dish I'm making, or in a bowl.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I would never but it right into a bag because I like to refrig it overnight and remove the fat.
Using it first in ice cubes is much better for us, that way you can add how ever much you want to the bag and take out as much as you want or as little.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Make sure it's cool before you pour it in the bags. I worry about leaching from plastics with hot ingredients being added to bags.
I've made this mistake. Put hot (or sometimes just warm) stock into bags and when I tried to use it, it tasted/smelled like plastic.

So now I cool it overnight first, and then put into baggies.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM

i have, it takes less space... but make sure it is cooled! lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

User Tag List