30 Day Happy Foody Green Smoothie Challenge support thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great thread! :

We did our first green smoothies ever this morning. Dh and I both liked them, as did our toddler - ds2 not so much but we'll keep working on that. We had a huge yummy salad for dinner. I'm so excited that we're starting on the road to better health - this was just the kick in the butt I needed.

A happy woman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 07:56 PM

It's the start of week three ladies. How are you all feeling? I was just not hungry at all Friday and Saturday, which is just not me at all. I never miss meals. But I just listened to my body and ate really lightly. Am continuing with the smoothies in the morning.
Today:
b: smoothie with kale, pineapple, flax, banana, and ginger
l: home made minestrone
s: small handful peanuts
Yesterday:
b: smoothie with watermelon, pineapple, kale, and ginger
l: salad with romaine, olives, tomatoes, and hummus
d: huge spinach salad and a cup of home made minestrone

Mama to 3:
Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 PM

So- I have another question. What about rotating greens w/ multiple greens in your smoothie or salads? E.g. I had smoothie this a.m. with mostly spinach, but used up the ends of some romaine, kale, and red leaf lettuce. Now I'm having a salad of romaine and red leaf (and tomatoes and olives ). Does having multiple greens in a day defeat rotating? Or does it mean there's so little of any particular alkaloid that it doesn't matter? Or is the rotation thing just an issue of 'don't just eat one green for weeks/months or end'?

Hope someone here is better-versed than I!

Thanks
~Sara
Old 09-02-2009, 11:46 AM

I think you just need to rotate greens so you're not eating too much of one thing. I would consider eating multiple greens in a day rotating, but I could be totally wrong. I think maybe you shouldn't just be eating a lb of spinach every day, iykwim.
Yesterday:
b: smoothie with kale, pineapple, flax, and ginger
l: bowl of homemade minestrone
d: polenta with fresh corn and fresh tomato sauce, green bean, edamame, and chickpea salad with cumin vinaigrette

Mama to 3:
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, this is day one for me! I didn't have a blender til today.

B: Spinach, pinapple juice, frozen mango, banana, coconut oil
S: small Granny Smith apple
L: Qudoba Naked Vegetarian Salad (not all that great for me, but tasty!)
D: Tacos (again, not fantastic for me, but yummy)
S: Spinach salad with Broccoli Slaw and homegrown Tomatoes

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 AM

I'm glad you jumped on the bandwagon!

Pretty hot here today, not feeling like eating too much.
b: smoothie with fresh grape juice (i blended them and then strained out the seeds and skins), pineapple, banana, and mixed baby greens
l: bowl of steamed carrots and snap peas, roasted brussels sprouts with garlic, fresh carrots and snap peas
d: arugula, green bean, chickpea, and edamame salad over brown rice, watermelon

Mama to 3:
Old 09-03-2009, 04:18 AM

I do equal parts greens to fruit, about 1 cup of each is good. Mine is my mid morning snack otherwise I might make it bigger if it was my breakfast. I also add 3 TBLSP hemp seed, adds a whopping 11 grams of protein and makes it smooth and creamy without adding any milk replacement. I just add a bit of water to get it to blend to the right consistency.

My favorite combos are:
1. strawberry/peach/kale
2. kiwi/green grape/microgreens mix from Trader Joes
3. pineapple/papaya/romaine
4. banana/blueberry/spinach

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, I am only on day 2. It's going good.
But here's something weird... I am craving meat. Not large amounts, just a bit. But I never crave meat. And I am wanting it on my salads. I hate meat on salads. So weird!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
So, I am only on day 2. It's going good.
But here's something weird... I am craving meat. Not large amounts, just a bit. But I never crave meat. And I am wanting it on my salads. I hate meat on salads. So weird!
That is weird!

I love meat on salads. I made a ginger steak salad yesterday that was AWESOME, and I always love chicken cesear salad (with homemade dressing, I can't stand store dressing). I also love shrimp with green goddess dressing.

I love fruit and nuts with my salad too. Mmmm... salad... :

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 09-06-2009, 09:48 PM

Hey all! How's everyone doing? I'm not even two weeks in and I've already lost 5 pounds! The smoothies have become a habit and I'm even craving them instead of sweets and carbs.

Just a quick question- Does anyone add sprouts to their smoothies? I'm wanting to try this, but i'm wondering if the fruit masks the taste. I love sprouts in salads and sandwiches, but I'm not so sure they'd be tasty in a smoothie

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 09-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Doing great, although I overate today and feel really really bad. I've been eating very lightly, so the mexican lunch with my brother today complete with margaritas and too many chips was not a good idea. Other than that, I'm doing wonderfully.
I haven't tried sprouts in my smoothies, but I've been surprised by just about every other green, so why not? Let us know how it turns out.

Mama to 3:
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

I got tired of writing in my blog, but I'm still (mostly) on the bandwagon. I haven't missed a smoothie yet, although I think my blender is about to break!! I really crave the green smoothie now! It's the craziest thing. It's definitely changed my life, no joke. I joined a produce club here and am now getting LOTS of fresh, organic produce delivered to my door! I'm still eating really healthy throughout the day, and this 30 day challenge has prompted me to get back to the diet I know works best for me---being a vegetarian, with little dairy/cheese/eggs. Even though the challenge is over tomorrow, I'm going to keep on eating healthy and drinking the smoothies.

I have to say, though, not sure if it was all the fruit (I NEVER ate fruit before my smoothies) but I gained 4 lbs this month! A bit discouraging for as hard as I'm working at changing my eating habits and exercising, but I know if I keep working, I'll be healthier--and that's what's important!

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Old 09-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Well...I learned that if we're going to stay in the habit of having green smoothies, the 'big' blender needs to live on the countertop or sometplace equally 'easy.' I don't know how much is convenience and how much is the mental cue of seeing the blender.

I asked this in a separate thread, but - has anyone had a smoothie with raomine go really thick - almost gelatinous - on them? I made two different batches of smoothie last night, and at first I thought it was the blueberreis (hadn't used them before), but the other pitcher - which was just pinapple with a little banana - did the same thing, though to a lesser degree. There is quite a bit of romaine in these - maybe I need more water next time? Just wondering if anyone else has had different greens do seemingly weird things like this!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

I can't stand my smoothie with romaine...just too green tasting for me! Too many non-frozen items=puree instead of smoothie for me. My guess is if you added more frozen fruits it would have evened out.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 AM

Hi there. I'm fairly new to this site - pretty much a lurker. But was excited when I saw this thread. I've just recently begun to enjoy green smoothies. Hubby bought me a new blender this month & I've been having 1-2 smoothies a day since around Sept. 8th. I've lost around 5 lbs. so far. (Hope to lose even more. I've also been enjoying the energy I've gained.

I have 2 girls who have smoothies before school every day - less the spinach I toss in for me. I just can't get them to try it with the greens. (I need to hide them somehow - maybe blueberries?)

I'm excited to see others enjoying green smoothies here! (I think my extended family is tired of hearing me talk about them.) I love what you're having in yours! Gotten some more ideas - I need to run to the store today.

I have a question. I add flax & wheat germ to mine. I was wondering about spirulina? Do you think it's necessary? With all the vitamins of the greens - would it be a waste of $ to add spirulina powder to my smoothies?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I didn't do the challenge but just popping in as another smoothie drinking family

Since getting a vitamix, our smoothies are so much better, more varied, and easier to blend!

We start every day with a smoothie - our favorite these days has kale, spinach, zucchini, pineapple, mixed berries and banana. After the kids drink theirs I add brown rice protein powder for myself.

User Tag List