Enfamil RestFull Formula "thickens in stomach and digests slower" to promote sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 08-23-2009, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/enfam...1&r=3428245482

I know that this section is not for "formula bashing" but I wasn't sure where to place this and I want to get some opinions. I feel like this is a dangerous product (even more so than regular formula)

My question is, how do we start to get information into the mainstream that sleeping through the night is ABNORMAL for many babies and that trying to force it can be dangerous or deadly?
#2 of 35 Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 AM

oh my, teaching children from a young age that to sleep they need to be stuffed? And of course the parents that can't afford this formula will continue the age old custom of putting rice cereal in bottles at night. "See, it's the same thing, but cheaper, just the way our moms/grandmoms/etc used to do."

unbelievable

I can see the benefit from this type of formula, but only for very specific reasons, like reflux for example. Then i can see how the thickening factor is helpful to allowing the baby to sleep, since they won't be in pain from reoccurring reflux, BUT sttn is not the natural way a baby sleeps.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#3 of 35 Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 PM

wow this seems so dangerous!

i thought it had been well established that sleeping through the night at an early age and sids were related? how can they release a formula that would so this? seems very unsafe...
#4 of 35 Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow; that's appalling. Fullness does not equal nutrition. Little babies need to eat more often than that! This sounds like a recipe for SIDS and FTT.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend who's training to be a nurse; as one of her assignments she has to interview several mothers of small children. We had interview 1 of 4 the other day, and cosleeping came up; she didn't know much about it but seemed surprisingly open, so I took the opportunity to air my views. She was really interested in my mentality that early STTN isn't the be-all and end-all of child-rearing; and in fact, that I considered nightwaking to breastfeed a GOOD thing. Hopefully that thought will stick, as she's interested in doing midwifery one day!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#5 of 35 Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 PM

gross:

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#6 of 35 Old 08-24-2009, 08:35 AM

#7 of 35 Old 08-24-2009, 09:19 AM

This worries me. My son was the worst sleeper ever. Thankfully I was completed dedicated to breastfeeding but other moms may not be. I can see this sabotaging lots of breastfeeding relationships. I know a mom that fed formula so babe would sleep through the night.
#8 of 35 Old 08-24-2009, 11:46 AM

Just the thought Makes me feel nauseous!

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#9 of 35 Old 08-24-2009, 12:19 PM

That sounds really bad! And everyone is worried about childhood obesity...this sounds like the fast track to just that!

Becka mama to Nick 10/99 Michele 02/03 : Wyatt 02/07 and Evan 06/09
#10 of 35 Old 08-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
gross:
This was my thought. Can you imagine (as an adult) eating, say, a normal serving of mashed potatoes only to feel stuffed to the gills a few minutes later? What if you ate a large serving? Wouldn't you feel really sick?

I'll bet parents that use this see a higher instance of vomiting...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#11 of 35 Old 08-24-2009, 01:14 PM

Wow that's pretty awful!

I'm Theresa. nursing, baby-wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping mama to Clara (9/08) and wife to Mike
#12 of 35 Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBear View Post
This worries me. My son was the worst sleeper ever. Thankfully I was completed dedicated to breastfeeding but other moms may not be. I can see this sabotaging lots of breastfeeding relationships. I know a mom that fed formula so babe would sleep through the night.
This is a major concern of mine in looking at this formula. I can see many moms saying "well there's no special breastmilk to my my child sleep but there IS a special formula..."
#13 of 35 Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBear View Post
Exactly. And I know several parents who fed formula and used STTN as a benefit. It's terrifying because I can certainly see situations where this product is given during the day. "So and so slept ALL day. I never even had to take him/her out of her crib! I feel great!" Blah.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#14 of 35 Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 AM

Does it ever occur to anyone that babies are the way they are for a reason?

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#15 of 35 Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
Does it ever occur to anyone that babies are the way they are for a reason?
Nope. It's a defect that must be corrected early.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#16 of 35 Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 PM

What is making me so mad that I'm having to avoid aojaoajioajiovhabjlkjl on the keyboard is that when these babies die, it'll be blamed on SIDs and people will go ": nothing could be done, just a tragedy" whereas one baby dies on a couch with a drunk friend of mom's boyfriend and it's "OMG!!!! Sleeping with your baby is abuse!!!!!!"
#17 of 35 Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 AM

This product worries me as well. I could see parents abusing this left and right. Plus most good peds recommend never thickening formula. Although I have noticed so many women do it without telling the doctor. I know a lot of Ap who ff would never ever use this product. This is very scary. Iwonder if used too young if there will be an increase of SIDS in the groups that recieve this product.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#18 of 35 Old 08-26-2009, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, it backfired over the Atlantic, hmm?
In Germany, the "Gute-Nacht-Fläschchen" (good night bottle) and the "Gute-Nacht-Brei" (good night cereal) were the "new thing" about 1 1/2 years ago. (Of course, not so new - as one PP said, basically it IS a version of formula plus rice or oat cereal.) All the big German baby food brands jumped on the wagon right away (Hipp, Milupa, Alete/Nestle - here is one example:
www.hipp.de/index.php?id=1126).
In the meantime, at least a consumers' magazine testing new products ("Ökotest") stated that those products were nonsense.
Still, as long as we have books and websites telling parents that babies should STTN at 6 months because they don't need food or drink at night at that age anymore, we will also have parents desperately trying to solve a child's sleep "problems".

Andreateapot2.GIF read.gif homebirth.jpg winner.jpg hang.gif, wife to K coolshine.gif, mother to loveeyes.gif photosmile2.gif reading.gif blahblah.gif

#19 of 35 Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 AM

I love the advice for how to help baby get to sleep. Last step: kiss your baby. Oh, yeah - all a new baby starved for human contact needs is a little kiss to help him drift off to dreamland. Then put him in crib, and leave the room while he screams. (That part, of course, isn't in the advice - which is another reason every parent thinks there's something wrong with their kid, who won't be settled by a mere peck on the cheek.)
#20 of 35 Old 08-26-2009, 09:11 AM

^ Of course the above is true. The problem is, the more modern and educated we become, we should be learning not to mess with nature!

God forbid something "bad" happens as a result of use or mis-use of this formula....

#21 of 35 Old 08-26-2009, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I bet there will be lots of parents who use this exclusively in hopes that their baby will nap longer during the day, or so they can feed them less often

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#22 of 35 Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 PM

As a parent of a child with motility problems, this just frightens me. Food sitting in the stomach longer than it is supposed to is not a GOOD thing. It's horrible. It can cause vomiting and weight loss. Constipation. Dumping syndrome. Blech. : Why would you WANT to mimic a medical condition?
#23 of 35 Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 PM

These poor babies...

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#24 of 35 Old 08-26-2009, 11:07 PM

How can this be made when they know that babies need to eat during the night?? Also when they have had to stop parents from using all different medications trying to get poor innocent children to sleep longer Now they are makeing this :

Glenn bouncy.gif 11*09 Joe 4*04 peace.gif Me praying.gif & Hubby geek.gif

Quote:

#25 of 35 Old 08-27-2009, 12:39 AM

the worst part of this is, how many moms will totally try this product out of sheer desperation because they aren't getting any sleep? this is shamelessly preying on sleep-deprived moms, many of whom would be LESS sleep-deprived through breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#26 of 35 Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
As a parent of a child with motility problems, this just frightens me. Food sitting in the stomach longer than it is supposed to is not a GOOD thing. It's horrible. It can cause vomiting and weight loss. Constipation. Dumping syndrome. Blech. : Why would you WANT to mimic a medical condition?
I never thought of this. Many of the FF babes I know have all had several constipation problems even today several years later. I can't imagine how a babe's digestive system will handle this.

#27 of 35 Old 08-28-2009, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm starting to feel a little pressure that I'm not 'making' DS STTN. Like I'm messing up his sleeping because when he gets up I 'cave and allow him to eat'. Like I'm a weak mother because I don't starve me 4mo old for 6-8 hours at a time :

all because "so and so started STTN when they put her on formula... Just saying"

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#28 of 35 Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 PM

I am strong in my convictions but feel so alone sometimes... even my BFing friends (ok, so i have 2) talk about a "successful night' when the baby STTN. They also started rice cereal and BF at 4 months-- I pick my little baby girl up when she cries and is hungry. She needs me!!
#29 of 35 Old 08-28-2009, 03:21 PM

I am f-ing speechless. Just speechless. What next? Enfamil makes a formula that is good for a full 24 hours..."Look it saves money and time. Now you can spend more time playing with your baby instead of bottle feeding him!"

~ SAHM with two girls (3/9/06) and (7/1/07) and always remembering my angel (3/17/06)~
#30 of 35 Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 PM

That is the most pervasive and predatory marketing I've seen for formula yet.

Since '05 just me and B, but in 2/08 E made three!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page