How much orange juice to prevent apple browning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To pack peeled apples and pears for a lunch, how much orange juice do you use to prevent browning.

Do you keep lots of orange juice in the container at all time?
Or do you soak the apples for a few minutes and then drain the juice?

Or is it somewhere in between?

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM

I usually use a Tbs of lemon juice in maybe 2 c of water. Drop them in the bowl while I'm finishing chopping, pull them out, drain them and they should be good.

Although I have noticed that if I slice them and keep the slices assembled in the original shape, they really don't brown at all except on the exposed surfaces (the end 2 pieces).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 4 Old 09-02-2009, 05:31 PM

I believe I read once that orange juice can actually cause browning; it's best to use lemon juice. The way Christeen does it is the way I would do it.

Personally, I just deal with the browning. I don't like the added flavor from trying to keep it from getting brown. Or, I pack the fruit whole. My 3 yo doesn't eat every bite off the apple, but he does a pretty good job.
#4 of 4 Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 AM

I honestly just squirt a little lemon juice in the container with the apples, and shake them around to coat them. Ds likes lemon flavor/sour stuff - it's usually on granny smith apples (his fave) so the sour kinda complements them.

If I didn't want so much lemon flavor, I'd dilute it with some water, then coat them. I don't think soaking is necessary. Oh, and I've never heard about OJ, I've always used lemon.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page