Mothering Forum banner

Drinking coca-cola!

Tags
food items
18K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  darkstar 
#1 ·
Okay, I'm talking about DH drinking coke at home not our 19month old DD. DH and I had a long conversation at 2 in the morning. He wants to drink coke at dinner again because he is falling asleep when we lie down with dd at 8pm (we had an agreement before that he would only drink coke outside the house). I believe in only having healthy foods at home, for our own health and dd as well. DH is arguing that he lives in the house too and should have a say in what he eats. And yes, I know I'm a food nazi.
I argue that dd always wants what we eat/drink and the sugar and caffeine is inappropriate for a small child(or a big one). Anyways, I can go on and on about this. DH is a very logical, factual person, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has any statistics or facts that explain why drinking coke or other sodas is bad for you. (DH says caffeine is actually healthy for you... which I know in small amounts stimulate your brain).

See less See more
#28 ·
Some days I feel like such a freak. I've always hated coke. I had some at a party once when I was about 6 & spewed all night. I've not been able to look a glass in the face since. I'm now 37
My loathing of the stuff runs so deep that I truly have no idea how people can drink the stuff, let alone enjoy it. Maybe force feeding a small child too much coke so they're sick is a good strategy to put them off for life!

When I used to get free bottles with pizza, in the good ol days, I used to use it to clean the toilet. On the odd occasion I used to have to have coke in my bourbon ( also back in the good ol days ), I always used to break out in zits the next day. The only advantage I found is it was a cheap way to go out since it took me all night to drink one drink coz it tasted so gross!

My vote is for coffee & a healthy desert. Real plunger coffee can be really buzzy if you're not overly used to it.

#29 ·
My name is Happy Mom, and I am addicted to Pepsi....

I refuse to buy it in cans though because I swear I can taste the metallic taste of the can......

And

I refuse to buy it in plastic bottles because I swear I can taste the plastic leaching into the soda...

So.....

That leaves only fountain drinks. I am without a doubt the most addicted fountain drinker standing on this earth. 9 months without it was torture......
And until I stop nursing I restrict myself to just a little bit here & there......

Why can't I be addicted to water??????????

#30 ·
I prefer fountain to all others also. If I have a can or bottle it has to poured over ice.

Did I mention how I love the stinging sensation of the first swig. mmmm

As for why I love it, Why does anyone love stuff that is bad for them??? Why do people smoke? Use drugs? drive fast expensive cars? WHo knows, they just like it.

#34 ·
ah, I thought you meant IN the computer/keyboard...

and Dovesong...phosphoric acid is phosphorous. It adds the "tart" in cola drinks (not all carbonated sodas). type phosphoric acid carbonated soft drinks in yahoo and you get a lot of info (some from the soda industry.) It has been somewhat linked to bone density decreases in teen girls... they theorize it's the phosphoric acid but the link is uncertain, could be something else about the soft drink, or that it replaces calcium foods.

#35 ·
Well gals............my husband works for Pepsi......not only do we like the soda before he worked for the company.........but now he gets paid for something he likes.......and sure helps pay the mortgage, food bills, college funds, retirement, etc. LOL!

Believe it or not............Pepsi started out being sold as a drug........some 100 years ago........the syrup was bottled in glass jars.........and was said to cure upset stomaches! Quite amazing how far it made it in every household and widely used!

I am proud to say my dh works for Pepsi.....who donates a lot to charities.........yet it disturbs me that they pay Britney Spears to promote their product........

As much as we enjoy the product........my 2 children drink juices and milk with their meals..........and only on special occasions.......do they to "indulge" as well!

I work for a diagnostic/imaging company where we perform bone density. I will find out if there is some truth to the statement that caffeine affects our bone density!
:

#36 ·
Personally, I think it's probably the packaging that makes the little guy want to drink it too! Can you just rip the label off the bottle and put a fake label on that says something like "Daddy's Caffeine"? We drink beer and wine but our kids don't ask for it because we tell them it's for adults. Even my eldest, who is 11, won't drink soda unless he knows it's specifically for him (and we rarely have it in the house!) This evening, he spied a Mountain Dew (!!!!) bottle in the fridge and smirked a bit at my DP, aware that my DP had been caught doing something naughty! Oh my!

There are lots of things adults do that kids don't. Drinking caffeine is probably one of them. But I do think removing the darned red silver white glittery eye-catching psychologically appealing label wouldn't hurt any.

Sarah

#38 ·
Our children know they cant have drinks with caffine in them so the girls have their own soda to drink. Usually Hansen natural soda.

My girls love coffee with real cream in it, youd think the taste would scare them off but every time I make myself a couple of cups I have to make them some also. I only drink decaf and very rarely.

I love Pepsi, and it come in decaf

#39 ·
Yes, soda is bad and soda is evil. But soda keeps my children alive. No, they don't drink it. See, coffee can only go so far (I can drink more of it during the day than my wife) and without the caffeine boost, well, let's not think about it.

We did stop drinking Mountain Dew because it has Brominated Vegetable oil in it. For years I wondered why they wuld have vegetable oil in soda, but it was one of those "everytime I read the can I wondered, but soon after I forget" thoughts. One day, I decded to look it up. Here's a one example, BVO.

We mostly drink Dr Pepper now. Loved their "Red Fusion", but no one around here sells it anymore

neither DS (8 yr old & 15 mos.) drink soda, although on occasion we let out 8yo have some (like last night, had a root beer float). He recently went for an examination to get his teeth sealed. The four children in front of him each had cavities on the sealable teeth, DS had none. Now I don't know the histories of these children, but I'd wager that the reason DS's teeth were cavity free is due in large part to the fact that he doesn't drink soda (not to mention his brushing twice a day.)

#40 ·
T
using the term "nazi" to describe yourself is offensive. the nazis were genocidal bastards, i'm sure you're not a genocidal bastard.

back to the discussion...
we drink diet soda in our home, and dd has never touched it, nor does she want to. soda is absolute crap. poison. it's horrible for you. especially the diet brown sodas. but we drink it anyway. we treat it like coffee, that's it's not something that is healthy for little ones to drink, and that water is what's healthiest and best for little ones. (that's what we tell her) we also drink plenty of water in front of her, and tell her that's the healthiest thing for big people too.
T again..we went thru the wendy's drive thru the other day, and maya yells "NUMBA ONE DIET TOKE PEASE! BIGGIE PIES TOO PEASE!!"

lmffaaaaaaaaaaoooo....you'd think i ate fast food alot. (i dont) funny the things they recall.

anyway, she seems to be ok with the soda thing for now. if she acts like she really wants it, we'll make the switch to organic fruit fizzy drinks, b/c i hate being a hypocrite
for now, i'm keeping my diet toke.

if it really is very important to you, which i gather it is, i would go with asking him to drink some coffee or tea, or stash the soda in the crisper drawer and sneak it into another room to chug it down.

#42 ·

this may come as a shock but...

your husband is an adult.

let him drink what he wants. if you daughter asks for it, just tell her "no" and explain why you don't want her having it. a little communication goes a long way, and a little comprimise can keep a relationship wonderful.

this
is
not
a
battle
worth
fighting.

#44 ·
Yes, we must all individually make choices for what we eat and drink. I do feel we should try to make the best ones possible for our children, though. No child should EVER consume diet soda. Aspartame is the number one reported food suppliment for causing some pretty horrific health problems.

If formaldehyde and methol alcohol in your blood stream don't worry you, read some of the most recent findings:

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/recent.html#4

(I've had a friend that could not remember the most simple of things (like loaning us a computer monitor the DAY before!!! IT was getting really bad. I found out he was drinking 2-3 diet Coke a day. I suggested he stop. He did and about a month later, he noticed his 'memory' was returning and he could function again!)

In animal studies, it has been known to cause spontaneous abortions and abnormalities. Some of the chemicals in it can cross into the brain and get 'stuck there'...to form little pockets that rot and cause 'swiss cheese' type holes. Just hope they aren't 'wiping out' a memory or area you might need later....

Among other things, it's about 10% methanol (wood alcohol,) famous for
causing blindness in alcoholics. In the body, methanol metabolizes into
formaldehyde, (YES FORMALDEHYDE, that stuff you used in biology class in high school to preserve dead animals) a neurotoxin; formic acid, a venom in ant stings; and diketopiperazine, which causes brain tumors in animals!

It's so bad that in July of 1983, the National Soft Drink Association presented official objections to putting aspartame in beverages.

I'll read you one of their objections: "It is well established under Section 402(a)(3) that a food which contains a decomposed substance...is subject to seizure by FDA." It's thoroughly established that after a number of weeks and at temperatures over 85 degrees F, there's no aspartame left in a soft drink, only breakdown products!

Many of the people that would get this stuff banned, are now in key level, highly paid positions to keep this toxic money maker in your fav diet sodas and almost every other diet food! Do you know that aspartame is in many of the INFANT and child medicines (pain/fever reducers, like Tylenol!)???!!! Why would we want our babies to consume this!

Read this link for more details:

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/wright.txt

As for 'regular soda' like Cokes and Pepsi. Yes it's highly addictive. I was a 'Coke' drinker for a long time. I am tempted by the stuff if it's in the house. I have to just NOT buy it, not even for 'friends' that come over. I tell them to BYOS (Bring Your Own Sodas) and take them home after get-togethers. I offer, tea, caffeine free tea and lemonaid, coffee and 'filtered' water ONLY.

It's the Phosphoric Acid in Soda that's the problem. It is chemically similar to calcium and it will leech out the calcium and replace it, forming a weaker bond in your bones/teeth, etc. This is what leads to weak bones and potentials for being a major contributor to an increased risk for osteoporosis.

Sugar is a known 'immunio' suppressant. Just one serving of sugar can depress your immune system for over 6 hours. It is also nutritionally devoid of anything your body or a child's body needs. We have enough problems with depleted food sources. I guess if you are making a 'one bad thing' choice, then at least try to compensate with some really super healthy foods while you are drinking it. I would still avoid ALL DIET SODA like the plague. I shiver when I see teenagers drinking it! Plus, aspartame increases your appetite and makes you crave more sugar, defeating it's purpose as a 'dietary' aid.

In the long run, it is your body, do as you wish. Just please try to make good, healthy decisions for your children, until they are old enough to figure it out for themselves! There is a TON of more bad stuff about it all, but then this would be a 'book' and not reply.

Dr. Mercola has a great summary for both substances:

http://www.mercola.com/2003/jul/9/soda_dangers.htm

#45 ·
in the three years we've been together, my boyfriend and i have come to a lot, a LOT of compromises about food, cleaning products, personal care products... basically anything that can be split into "healthy" and "unhealthy/bad for the environment" categories.

our agreement about his cokes is that starting in november (when the baby gets here) he will keep them in a locked minifridge in his recording studio room and not drink them in front of the kidlet. he is addicted to coke and has been his whole life- his parents thought it was cute how much he loved coke and gave him as much as he could drink from a very early age. he recognizes his addiction and promises not to do the same to our kids, so i don't pressure him about his choice to continue drinking it.

i figure if he's 29 years old and he already knows it's bad for him, me telling him it's bad for him isn't going to make him stop anyway.

#46 ·
my DH is a coke head...coca cola that is. I cannot believe that he can still drink that crap. We are vegetarian and eat almost all organic etc...but he still drinls coke. I took one drink the other day and it tasted awful.
: DD tells me that she doesnt like soda, I have to admit we do drink an ocasional san pelligrino orange soda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.