Mothering Forum banner

Nutella

2K views 41 replies 34 participants last post by  arb 
#1 ·
I would like opinions on this product, is this a bad thing to eat?

#27 ·
I love it! My SIL introduced it to me on asparagus crackers (which are worse for you I think than the Nutella). MMMMM, sooooo good! I've tried this one from the Grain and Salt society. . .it's just as good (perhaps better) imho.

#29 ·
My jaw hit the floor when I saw their recent commercial. Come on, a healthy quick breakfast?

Though before I had kids or knew anything about nutrition I tried a chocolate spread while in Azerbaijan. Oh man, that spread on the local fresh bread. I ate boxes and about looked like a big box myself by the end of my stay!

#31 ·
I think the worst thing in it is the vanillin. It is a by product of the paper making industry which has all kinds of gross stuff in it. I don't touch if if I notice it's in there.
I also don't really care for it anyhow. My mom likes it and eats it though.

#33 ·
probebly, well it sure isn't healthy but mmmmmmmmm it tastes good once when i was pregnant with chloe i sat and ate it straight from the jar with a spoon

#34 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenniepaige View Post
I think the worst thing in it is the vanillin. It is a by product of the paper making industry which has all kinds of gross stuff in it. I don't touch if if I notice it's in there.
I also don't really care for it anyhow. My mom likes it and eats it though.
I agree... Vanillin is the worst ingredient in it...

We have a house brand that I buy that has real Vanilla... it is also cheaper... we don't eat it often but it is a treat that we love!

#35 ·
how about nutella smores?

we spread the nutella on the graham crackers instead of using chocolate (or along with if you really want decadence) and sandwich with the molten marshmellow! it tastes amazing!

#37 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
If you like nutella-type stuff but don't want to eat it anymore, try mixing peanut butter, butter, cocoa, cinnamon, sugar or honey, and milk or coconut milk. Pretty tasty substitute!

This is what I do, except I use almond butter instead of PB and extra virgin coconut oil instead of butter. And you can add a tsp of any liqueur you like to change the flavor. Frangelico, for instance....

Really, there are too many tasty homemade chocolate spread possiblities....I don't buy Nutella anymore. But when I did, the store brand at Superstore was better than the name brand.

#39 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by paxye View Post
I agree... Vanillin is the worst ingredient in it...

We have a house brand that I buy that has real Vanilla... it is also cheaper... we don't eat it often but it is a treat that we love!

Do you mean a store brand? Which one?

#40 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenniepaige View Post
Do you mean a store brand? Which one?
yes a store brand...

I am not sure if it is sold out of Canada though but it is "Presidents Choice" brand http://www.presidentschoice.ca/HomePage.aspx

It is the best store brand IMO, many of the products (most of those geared for kids like fruit leathers, snacks etc) are free of artificial colours and flavours and they don't use HFSC or artificial sweeteners... they are also a lot cheaper than the name brand products... we don't eat many processed foods but when we do, it is noce to have the option of choosing foods that I don't mind feeding my kids

#41 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by paxye View Post
yes a store brand...

I am not sure if it is sold out of Canada though but it is "Presidents Choice" brand http://www.presidentschoice.ca/HomePage.aspx

It is the best store brand IMO, many of the products (most of those geared for kids like fruit leathers, snacks etc) are free of artificial colours and flavours and they don't use HFSC or artificial sweeteners... they are also a lot cheaper than the name brand products... we don't eat many processed foods but when we do, it is noce to have the option of choosing foods that I don't mind feeding my kids

This. The only President's Choice product I've ever been disappointed in was the sherbert. Yuck, that. But in general, good quality and usually tastier than the name brands, I find.

#42 ·
Plain old peanut or almond butter microwaved with a handful of chocolate chips & stirred til smooth: my favorite indulgence. Very Nutella-like, and if you use good brands of nut butter & chocolate, no weird additives or emulsifiers. Like a pp, I like it spread on a toasted whole wheat English muffin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.