Mothering Forum banner

Nutella

2K views 41 replies 34 participants last post by  arb 
#1 ·
I would like opinions on this product, is this a bad thing to eat?

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedi08 View Post
I would like opinions on this product, is this a bad thing to eat?
Nutella is my one big processed food weakness.
It is the reason I can only say my diet is 99% unprocessed!

I treat it as a once in a while guilty pleasure type of treat. I definitely think it would be a ridiculous thing to feed my kiddos for breakfast every morning (like on the commercial) as they would be crazy wound up nut jobs!

ETA: I have a recipe for homemade chocolate hazelnut spread, I just haven`t had the heart to try it. (What if it doesn`t live up to my delicious nutella standards!?!)

#4 ·
Depends what you mean by "bad"? Is it good for your body? No way! Does is make your mouth happy and give you the warm-fuzzies, thereby improving your general outlook on life? Well, it does for me.

Seriously, Nutella is my comfort food. I don't have it every day or anything, but after a particularly tough day, tea with toast and nutella makes me happy.

#5 ·
Honestly, i don't think it's a heck of a lot worse than Jiffy, but I wouldn't call "normal" peanut butter overly healthy either.

It's tasty though!

lil earthmomma... can you share the hazlenut spread recipe??? Please?

#6 ·
If you ask my DH, Nutella is a major food group. I hate how misleading their commercials are "Made with hazelnuts, half a cup of skim milk and a dash of cocoa!" Aaaand... no sugar, right? I love Nutella as well, but like PPs, treat it as a guilty pleasure and not a daily breakfast staple.

#8 ·
I remember seeing it for the first time when I lived in Spain for a year. That stuff is tasty but so not something I'd eat a lot. It's sugar and chocolate and hazelnuts. It's a good desert though...

#9 ·
Oh, I used to love this stuff. Especially in crepes (when I ate wheat and dairy).
But last time I read the ingredient list, it contained hydrogenated vegetable oil. And this is one thing I just don't compromise on.
I woner if it would be possible to replicate Nutella at home? (Or come close?)

#10 ·
sugar

modified palm oil (not an earth friendly oil) http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/palm_...al_5-27-05.pdf (just the first link I came upon)

hazelnuts

cocoa

skim milk

reduced minerals whey

soy lecithin

vanillin

190 calories per 2 TBSP
11 g fat
22 g carbs
1g Fiber
21 g sugar
3 g protein

and very yummy but not healthy....in a fit of not thinking I gave my son this for breakfast - not a good choice - behaviorally!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OvenSeeksBun View Post
If you ask my DH, Nutella is a major food group. I hate how misleading their commercials are "Made with hazelnuts, half a cup of skim milk and a dash of cocoa!" Aaaand... no sugar, right? I love Nutella as well, but like PPs, treat it as a guilty pleasure and not a daily breakfast staple.
I agree... misleading commercial.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by inkedmamajama View Post
we love nutella, but often we buy the imported counterparts-seems to taste better with better ingredients.
??? hmmm

I can't find anythig- where doi find yours?

I'd love to make my own- but that recipe makes me wonder....

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EMS View Post
Oh, I used to love this stuff. Especially in crepes (when I ate wheat and dairy).
But last time I read the ingredient list, it contained hydrogenated vegetable oil. And this is one thing I just don't compromise on.
I woner if it would be possible to replicate Nutella at home? (Or come close?)
The real Nutella is yummy but certainly not a superhealthy food alone because of all of the suger. Also the powdered milk is not organic.
There are worse things.....
I make this for my son. If you are used to the real Nutella you may not like it at frist. DS has not had the "real thing" for a while so he likes what I make for him on his toast:

Mix Agave nectar with some flaxseed or hemp oil
stir in Cocoa Powder
Stir Agave nectar-cocoa powder mixture in with Hazelnut butter or a Hazelnut-Almond nut mixture.
I dont measure ,so I can't tell you exactly how much, but you just try to get a consistancy like Nutella. I recently added a little whey powder and that was yummy too.
In any case I feel totally guilt free about feeding it to my family and eating it myself!

#17 ·
It's a great thing to eat!
But not healthy at all!

I didn't realize people actually spread it on things. I just eat it with a spoon. Every year I give each of my kids a jar for valentines day.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mumm View Post
It's a great thing to eat!
But not healthy at all!

I didn't realize people actually spread it on things. I just eat it with a spoon. Every year I give each of my kids a jar for valentines day.

I would have loved Nutella for valentine's when i was eating nuts

#24 ·
yeah, it's terrible for you. I know though - it is SO good!!

It has a ton of sugar, but the worst thing is I think it has high fructose cornsyrup, and maybe even trans fat. I did find a "healthier" nutella type stuff at the co-op that was just as yummy but at least just made with hazelnuts, chocolate and cane sugar. still - fattening and loaded with sugar! eck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.