the best organic cottage cheese? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-01-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

Just want to get opinions here. I'm so picky about my cottage cheese. I was previously buying Robinson Dairy which is a local CO operation. They don't use hormones but are not organic, and I'm realizing going all-organic and preferably from grass-fed cows is the way to go.

I like the milky part surrounding the curds to be thick and creamy. The problem I had with a few different organic brands was that it was watery (yes, the 4% kind, too). I think I tried Horizon and Organic Valley and also another one that had acidophilus in it which I didn't like. Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks for any help!

Jenna Hoskinson, Certified Live Well Coach, Meal Planner, and Mother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-02-2009, 04:37 PM

We get our cottage cheese from the same farm that we get our milk (raw, organic, grass-fed, whole) and it is the best cottage cheese I've ever had (only one I've ever liked). I thought they were all just watery with lumps. This stuff is so creamy. If you open it and turn the container upside down... nothing happens!

I would guess if you learned you could make it like this. I hope to learn soon to save us some money! But as of right now I don't have any tips or resources to give you!

Whenever we run out of cottage cheese from the farm and try to find some in the health food store we never even get out the door with one based on the ingredients!

Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 AM

I have not found any store brands that I like here either. Let us know if you find something good!
#4 of 4 Old 12-06-2013, 10:03 PM

Kalona SuperNatural cottage cheese is great.  Much better than the watery Horizon/Organic Valley cottage cheese.  Natural Grocers sells it for $3:50-$4.00, which is higher than other brands, but the quality is much higher.  Kalona is the only cottage cheese I buy now. Of course, something straight from a farm would be great, but if your talking about something you can buy ata local store, Kalona is as good as it gets. :thumb  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page