question about orange juice fasting? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI
Just wondering what the difference is in Organic Orange juice from concentrate or not from concentrate? Which is better and why? I want to go on a orange juice fastening...but the only organic orange juice I can find is from concentrate. I read alot about Raw foodies sometimes going on a juice fastening...so I would like to try the orange juice fast. Any reccomendations? THANKS

High raw Vegans Mommy to 5!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-05-2009, 06:33 AM

Is Simply Orange orange juice from concentrate? That's the one I usually try to buy as I think it is best for you, but I am generally pretty uninformed about these things.

If Simply Orange is too expensive, I try to buy juice that has ONLY oranges in it. No "orange juice and other natural flavors." I think the one we bought this week was Minute Maid, and it's from concentrate but the only ingredient is oranges and maybe filtered water. It's not as good as Simply Orange but it was cheaper and therefore the better option this week.

I know that probably doesn't help. But I would definitely recommend Simply Orange over any other juice. I think the difference between concentrate and not concentrate is concentrate is when the juice has been frozen and then reconstituted maybe with water, and not from concentrate is straight up just pressed OJ. But I could be totally wrong. I also don't know if Simply Orange is organic or not, sorry.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#3 of 7 Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

no simply orange juice is not organic. LOL! I actually dont like the taste of simply orange. The organic orange juice I got was called Natural Directions. It is rather good but from concentrate. It says that the ingrediants are natural orange juice and filtered water....I hope someone can help me!

#4 of 7 Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 PM

If I were going to do an orange juice fast, I'd buy a cheap citrus juice and do fresh-squeezed. You can get one pretty cheap. I decided to move away from processed OJ and picked up a juicer for about $15. There has been a lot written about packaged orange juice lately, spurred in part by the publication of a book recently about the orange juice industry. I haven't read the book, but just reading excerpts has been a pretty big eye opener. Anyway, if you googled orange juice and "squeezed" (the name of the book) you'll find more about it. The basic idea is even if it's "Not from Concentrate" they add "flavor packs" to replace the volatile orange essence that dissipates quickly from OJ. And they store it in tanks at near freezing temps for months at a time. Very unappetizing.

When I do buy packaged OJ I tend to buy Organic Valley. It's pretty good and not from concentrate, if that matters to you.
#5 of 7 Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks....Im not even quite sure what concentrate means, LOL! Yes Im sheltered
Anyways....Do u know about how many oranges it takes to make a glass? Wouldnt that be rather expensive.? Oranges cost an arm and a leg let alone organic..LOL!. Great idea though!

#6 of 7 Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 AM

Man, now I want orange juice. CURSE YOOOOOU!!!

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#7 of 7 Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I buy tropicana orange/grape fruit juice - the only ingredient is "100% orange juice". If I have the option I'll go with Organic valley's organic not-from-concentrate oj, but I only rarely have access to it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page