Why is my pudding lumpy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I just made pudding from scratch yesterday for the first time, and it turned out OK - tastes fine that is, but theres all these little lumps in it and I have no idea why... I whisked it hard core for a long time, and then switched to a spoon. Should I have whisked it the WHOLE time? Or only just enough to get lumps out initially?? What makes pudding lumpy?
#2 of 4 Old 11-05-2009, 11:51 AM

I think it's normal. If you temper the egg yolks, it will really cut down on the lumps. My best recipe has you run the warm pudding through a fine-mesh strainer to get rid of lumps....you could try that.

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#3 of 4 Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Depends on the recipe, but the lumps could be scrambled eggs or they could be cornstarch. Either way, you need to continue whisking the entire time. Once you add the eggs, the mixture has to keep moving the entire time it's on the fire. My favorite pudding recipe says something like after adding the egg whisk it rapidly until you feel like your arm is gonna fall off.

Usually I just make tapioca though, and nobody's going to notice if that's a little lumpy.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 4 Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM

If you were whisking, then my bet is that the egg yolks curdled/ over-cooked a bit, which makes for lumps. Does your recipe call for tempering the yolks by adding a little bit of the hot milk to them while whisking, then adding a little more, then adding that mixture back into the rest of the hot milk? Doing that will generally prevent the yolks from overcooking because it controls how quickly they get hot.

You can also just pour the whole mixture, once it's done but before it's cooled, through a sieve. That will take care of any stray lumpiness.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page