Vitamix is expensive! Suggestions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-06-2009, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to get a vitamix or something like it, but i just can't justify (much less afford) $300-500 for a kitchen appliance. Are there any cheaper alternatives out there?
#2 of 13 Old 11-07-2009, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, no response? People sure like their Vita-Mix's, don't they? I'm apprehensive because i'm entering new territory--i don't want to spend sooo much money if it'll just be a phase...though i doubt it'll be a phase; when i get into these things, i get into them. I just don't like spending money, really.

So let me rephrase my question: To the raw foodists out there--can you get by on a cheaper blender?
#3 of 13 Old 11-07-2009, 10:07 AM

It is expensive, but so worth it. We used to go through blenders like tissues b/c they would just crap out on us. (This was pre-tf cooking.) We use the Vitamix on average 1 time a day. I have made so many things with it - things I would have never attempted without it. We are eating healthier food overall and it is super quick and easy. I was concerned at first - and I don't remember what we paid for the extra wet container and dry...$600 total, but I feel it was totally worth it. I am sincerely glad I didn't waste $$ on a cheaper machine and bought the Vitamix. (I swear I am not a salesperson.) I had been interested in one for awhile and was going to put it off b/c of price. They had a demo at Sams club and my DH (tired of me coveting it?) told me to just get it. It was actually cheaper than the Costco deal.

I don't know what to tell you. I *lurve* my Vitamix. It is the most versatile and productive appliance I own (and it has a 7 year warranty so if it breaks they fix it.)

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#4 of 13 Old 11-07-2009, 10:20 AM

we have a blendtec, which is still expensive, but less pricey than the vitamix. i think you can get them for $350-400. i love it! easy clean up and you can get a bpa-free container.
#5 of 13 Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 PM

you can buy used V M's on ebay for less than half, we have the older version with the stainless steel pitcher, the newer ones do a better job I think but I like mine. I would LOVE a newer one someday, they do a great job. Nut milks come out really nice in them, mine still leaves chunks of nuts even when I let it run a few min. I still love mine.

dust.gif
#6 of 13 Old 11-08-2009, 02:41 AM

Oh, yeah, I my Vitamix!!! Totally worth every single cent!!! We use ours a LOT and we make all sorts of things in it. I especially love how easy it is to clean. When we had a regular blender (nice one, glass pitcher), I rarely used it because of the tedious clean-up procedure. Storage is so easy, too, since they are not a dozen pieces to keep track of....

Someone around these parts (MDC - Nutrition Forums) mentioned that the Vitamix patents ran out in the recent past and that "knock-off" versions are beginning to show up. She got hers in a restaurant supply store. For me, that would be Smart & Final, but there are others. Maybe you could check out that avenue???

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#7 of 13 Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM
mbm

I only have a regular blender. But I recently came across this review, which recommends the Villaware Moderno Pro as an alternative to the Vitamix:

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/g...estions-099747
#8 of 13 Old 11-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Montel Williams has something called the Healthmaster- much more affordable w a payment plan-google it. Don't know anyone that has one and there are not too many reviews on it yet. I want a vitamix too but am using my kitchenaid blender for smoothies and its worked out pretty good so far. Just had to replace the blade for $15. I've had it for over 5yrs.
#9 of 13 Old 11-08-2009, 06:48 PM

i am stalking my local craigslist. i want one badly, too. i have a crappy cuisinart blender (LOVE my cuisinart food processor, but blenders are not their thing) that does not even mix the coconut oil into my smoothie. i want a Vitamix to be able to grind grain in addition to conventional blender jobs.

i have seen (and missed!) a few decent deals on craigslist, though.
#10 of 13 Old 11-10-2009, 12:51 AM

I love my vitamix. Nothing else can conceal an entire tomato and carrot in a batch of strawberry frozen yogurt.
#11 of 13 Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 AM

VM's patents expired about a year ago so now other companies are making similar blenders. I bought a knock-off from a restaurant supply store. It was about half the cost and has the exact same design. Works great.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#12 of 13 Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We just bought a VitaMix after seeing a demo in WF. We'd considered one for a while, but actually seeing it in action was amazing. We came right home and made an all-veggie soup and a peach sorbet that were both excellent. My boys loved it, and they are not ones who love veggies. With such a good quality and versatile machine, we are definitely going to be able to reach our goals of eating better every day.

Today, my DH made himself smoothies/drinks twice, and I've made them once. We may be new to it, but we're very happy so far!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#13 of 13 Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

I DID IT!!! Wow, i hate spending money, so i'm actually pretty proud of myself! I bought a complete 3600 super plus off ebay.

Thank you sooo much for your input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page