Healthy meals for 10 month old +? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you tell me if the meal routine I've been doing with my son is ok? I realize at this age, self feeding is more for the learning then anything, and I've asked his ped who said really whatever they will eat at this point, but I want to make sure that what I am giving him is nutritious and not just empty calories. He breastfeeds on demand (won't take breastmilk from a sippy cup or bottle though) and we plan to breastfeed through the winter with this H1N1 so he'll be at least 1 1/2 yrs unless he self-weans sooner.

Breakfast - Gerber graduates cinnamon maple puffs and yogurt melts (he only wants to self feed and refuses yogurt, cereals, etc), pancakes if we are having them

Lunch - cherrios, cubed bananas or apples, shredded cheddar cheese

Dinner - Daddy is usually able to get him to eat some Earth's Best stage 3 foods, and he eats a little of whatever we are having (potatoes, broccoli, peas, rice, etc)

He usually has a sippy cup with half water half juice at some point during the day as well. Note he is allergic to eggs and only has his 2 bottom teeth....

Any suggestions you may have to help round out these meals would be greatly appreciated!
#2 of 4 Old 11-09-2009, 03:57 PM

I'd skip the gerber stuff and earths best stuff, but otherwise you're doing good.

for breakfast how about some cut banana and/or apple? along with nursing, it's a perfect breakfast.

for dinner, just give him pieces of what you're having. he'll be fine. do you guys eat meat? if you do, just shred it up (chicken is easiest with this) in addition to the veggies and carbs.

i try to stick to only water at that age, but really watered down juice isn't all that bad either. i just hate buying juice because dh will drink it all really fast, lol.

Mama of three.

#3 of 4 Old 11-09-2009, 05:01 PM

I`d skip the gerber stuff- would he eat a healthy homemade muffin or soft cookie? I make mine with spelt flour and coconut flour and put things like hempseeds in them. You can break them up or he and hold the whole thing in his hands. What about peas? My daughter loved peas at that age... would he self feed himself yogurt or oatmeal? We have been doing smoothies for breakfast since 1 year old. lentils and beans are great finger foods... ground meat, meats balls, frozen and thawwed blueberries, pasta (we buy brown rice or kamut qinoa pasta) with pesto or red sauce or just butter. I stick to whole foods- no cereals or processed foods. I sometimes use kamut puffs or mum mums as a distraction when out for my two year old but she doesn`t get them every day. Good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 11-09-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your suggestions.. I just whipped up some soft cookies made with molasses, apples and oatmeal cereal, we'll see what he thinks On the topic of feeding him what we're eating... how much spice is too much? We cook with a lot of herbs/spices and enjoy a lot of different cuisines and I hate the thought of my kids being picky eaters.... is broccoli with a soy/ginger sauce too much or is that okay? To this point I've been cooking his food seperately.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page