Turkey innards? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-13-2009, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, what do you do with the innards of your turkey? I could give them to the dog, but it seems to me that there should be things to do with them.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-13-2009, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What innards do you get with your kosher turkeys? Or are you not currently getting kosher birds right now?

The only turkeys I can get locally (and affordably) are the Empire frozen ones, and they don't come with any innards at all- just the neck. I'd love to have the organ meats to cook for more varied nutrition- although I'd probably prepare them for my own personal consumption and not serve them to company.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 7 Old 11-13-2009, 04:59 PM

Are you talking about guts, like intestines and stuff, or the giblets and neck that are packed inside a commercially prepared turkey? The latter are used for making gravy. You brown them in a pan with some onions, celery, etc and add broth to deglaze the pan, strain them out, then simmer & thicken with a roux or cornstarch right before serving.
#4 of 7 Old 11-13-2009, 05:12 PM

I use the giblets to make stock (sometimes I throw in some saved ones from a chicken, too), then mince them and stir them into the stuffing. SO DELICIOUS!
#5 of 7 Old 11-13-2009, 06:18 PM

I use them for gravy too. While the turkey is roasting, I have a covered saucepan with finely chopped up vegetables and the giblets in with them simmering in water, and use all of it for the gravy.

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 11-13-2009, 08:58 PM

Are you talking about the neck?

I put in a pot, cover with cold water, add chopped up celery, onion, carrot and simmer. I make stock out of it.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#7 of 7 Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Turner View Post
I use them for gravy too. While the turkey is roasting, I have a covered saucepan with finely chopped up vegetables and the giblets in with them simmering in water, and use all of it for the gravy.
me too! It makes the house smell wonderful all day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page