Mothering Forum banner

need something new to do with bell peppers

833 views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Biscuits & Gravy 
#1 ·
hi, mamas.
what do you do with bell peppers? our plants are still producing beautiful huge bells and we are harvesting in the neighborhood of half a dozen a day. We like to use a lot of them to make our special chicken chili, but we are kinda burned out on this. I have been putting bell peppers in EVERYTHING, even tacos, but they are backing up on me; even though i gave some away today i still have about ten on my counter and lots more outside still on the plants that are not showing signs of slowing down. We really really need some pepper intensive recipes besides spaghetti, etc. I am hoping someone here has something awesome and new to try....so if you do, PLEASE share!

#2 ·
I roast them like so:

Cut in half, push down till flat, brush with oil. Put your oven rack to highest position and broil for 12 minutes or so, till blackened.

Take out, stack on a plate and cover with aluminum foil to steam for 10 minutes. Remove skin.

At this point, you can freeze your nice roasted peppers for future use.

Or you can cook with them right away. I like to make enchilladas, topped with a sauce made from lots of chopped garlic, lots of diced, roasted peppers, some spices and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Let it all cook down till the liquid is reduced, then use.

You can also use roasted peppers in omelettes, frittattas, and pasta. For pasta, saute an onion cut in half and then thinly sliced, along with some garlic. Add the peppers and cook, finish with a little balsamic vinegar. Mm.

#3 ·
You could stuff them.

Cut the top off (or cut in half longways) and pull out the seeds and membranes. Arrange in a greased baking dish. Fill cavity with risotto/fried rice/spanish rice/pilau rice/savory mince/mince with taco seasoning/breadcrumbs mixed with herbs, toasted nuts, goats cheese/anything else which sounds good. Bake for 20-30 mins until filling is hot and capsicum is soft. Serve with garden salad.

Another one we like is pasta with capsicum and fetta.

Chop one onion into half moons and one capsicum into 1" strips. Saute with garlic until soft. Set aside. Toast a large handful of pine nuts or flaked almonds (my favourite). Set aside. Cook your favourite pasta according to the directions. We like fetuccini but penne works well too. Drain and immediately return to pot. Toss with onions, capsicum, toasted nuts and a block of crumbled fetta cheese (the heat of the pasta and veges will soften the cheese). Top with cracked pepper and parmesan cheese if desired. These quantites make 4 serves.

#4 ·
I make a super easy red pepper sauce that is great on a number of things. Roast a couple of red peppers, get rid of the skin, puree in food processor or blender with a couple of cloves of garlic, touch of salt and pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar. I love to serve this with spanokopita but you can use it on anything. You could make a large batch and can/freeze some for later use.

#5 ·
You can also freeze the excess. Take out the seeds and membranes, and cut them into usable-size pieces, and toss them into a container or freezer bag and freeze. Then you can grab a handful whenever you need some for a recipe. When you cook them, cook them still frozen. The texture changes slightly-- they won't ever be crisp again. But they're still just fine and taste great.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
You can also freeze the excess. Take out the seeds and membranes, and cut them into usable-size pieces, and toss them into a container or freezer bag and freeze. Then you can grab a handful whenever you need some for a recipe. When you cook them, cook them still frozen. The texture changes slightly-- they won't ever be crisp again. But they're still just fine and taste great.
This is what I did with our bounty of peppers this year.

#10 ·
As a finger food, simla mirch pakoras can get snarfed up pretty fast. (That link is to a so-so transcription from The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking; the water quantity is ~9 Tbsp, cold, and the deep-frying temperature is 355 F, maintain above 345 F.)

I haven't tried it, but this looks like an interesting take on a not-so-fiery bell pepper curry. Using up ingredients this way can make for fairly easy meal planning, so long as everyone is down for Indian food for a while--make one or two easy curries, dal, and rice, and then you have variety, but the next day you can get away with leftovers and maybe one more labor-intensive dish like spinach with paneer or tofu with store-bought naan, and then say an easy yogurt salad to add for one more lunch, and it's all gone.

#11 ·
Paprika chicken (or Csirke Paprikas in Hungarian):

1 large onion (I prefer yellow for this)
2 diced green, yellow or orange sweet peppers (remove seeds)
2 tbsp oil
1 lb boneless chicken (breasts or thighs, your choice)
4 tsp. paprika (best to use Hungarian paprika like Szeged brand, if you can)
1/2 tsp salt

Put it all into a crockpot and cook all day (6-8 hours, depending on your crocketpot). Though you will get more of the delicious sauce using a crockpot, if you are in a rush, you can cook it in a pot or large fry pan on the stove for perhaps 1 hour, first on medium, then on low after it is bubbling.

Serve over egg noodles or rice, with a dollop of sour cream on top.

Yummy!!!!

A cucumber salad is a delicious side to add to this meal (just cucumber and onions, not tomato).

#12 ·
I LOVE stuffed peppers! So many ways to do them!

Roasted pepper sauce is great on all sorts of stuff, that's what I would do!

Roasted pepper pesto too!

I love sauteed peppers, onions and sausage. Many people serve it over rice, on toasted bread, in a bun... with tomato sauce sometimes too. Its a great healthy quick meal.

#14 ·
Pepper 'n Egg Skillet Supper

1 t. cooking oil
7 cups thinly sliced sweet red, green and/or yellow peppers in rings or strips (about 5 or 6 medium peppers)
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
2 t. minced garlic
2 T. balsamic vinegar
4 eggs

In 10-inch nonstick omelet pan or skillet over medium heat, cook peppers, onion and garlic in hot oil, without stirring, about 3 to 4 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are soft and all liquid has evaporated, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in vinegar until evaporated. With back of spoon, make 4 indentations in vegetable mixture. Break and slip an egg into each indentation or, for flower-shaped eggs, break and skip each egg into an individual pepper ring. Cover and cook over medium heat until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, about 3 or 4 minutes.

#16 ·
Stuffed peppers with ground beef and rice, yum!

Pepper steak: beef strips and peppers fried and then topped with beef gravy

Chicken and peppers: saute chicken, peppers cut into 1 inch squares, and onions in olive oil until soft enough for your taste. Then add chicken broth, chili powder, pepper and cumin and simmer. You can serve it over rice, or eat it plain for a lower carb meal.

eta: my recipes call for green bell peppers, not sure which kind you have

#19 ·
Quote:

my advice as well.

only i freeze them (and other frequently diced veggies) on cookie sheets and store them in glass jars in the freezer. transfer them from cookie sheet to glass jar as quickly as possible to avoid thawing which will make them all stick together.

then i can literally take out like, half a cup or whatever it is that i need.

works well.

#20 ·
I love this chile cilantro sauce made with bell peppers...pour over roasted pork

2 red bell peppers, chop fine
1/2 cup red chile peppers (or jalepeno), chop fine
1 cup honey
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Simmer bell peppers, peppers, honey, lime juice, and salt over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes, then stir in cilantro just before serving.

#21 ·
Quote:

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. We have big bags of frozen pepper chunks and it is awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.