turkey - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How do you cook a turkey?
oven 60 82.19%
stovetop 0 0%
deep fry 5 6.85%
other 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you cook your turkey? I'm interested to see this. My family always does it in the oven. In DH's family oven turkey is a dirty word and it's made on the stove. I thought this was so weird, but wow does it make an amazing moist (I hate that word) turkey.

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 PM

We've done deep fried for the last several years. It's nice because it leaves the oven free for sides but you don't get that nice roasting turkey smell through the house.

I've never heard of cooking a turkey on the stove... how does that work?

When I was in college I spent Thanksgiving with a friend's family one year and they ate breaded and deep fried turkey strips. It was very good but didn't really seem like Thanksgiving to me.

Mom to (5) (9)
#3 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToKandE View Post
I've never heard of cooking a turkey on the stove... how does that work?
They have a huge roasting pan (it has to be, turkeys run 20-25lbs at MILs). The lid goes on and the sides of the roaster get sealed with tinfoil. Then the burners (it goes over 2) go on low low overnight and it cooks 8-12 hours.

obstruct livery vehicles

#4 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 PM

I have an electric slow cooker (like a crock pot but bigger) that I cook mine in. It can easily hold a 20lb turkey.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#5 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 11:36 PM

We do our turkey classic-style, in the oven. DH keeps lobbying for deep-fried or brined turkey, but I refuse to try something different on Thanksgiving. I told him that he can buy a turkey and do whatever he wants to do to it on any one of the other 364 days in the year. But on Thanksgiving, we STICK to what we KNOW will work. I can't imagine the absolute freakout that would occur in our family if we changed up the turkey plan.
#6 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 11:38 PM

in the oven. It's just how it's always been done and I'm not big on change
#7 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 PM

Oven.
#8 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 11:48 PM

I marked other. I am married to a Chef it can vary from turkey to turkey This can be great but I have requested a NORMAL PLAIN #$@#% turkey befor. LOL Trust me simplicity is nice.
#9 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 PM

I like doing ours on the BBQ, but we usually do it in the oven.
#10 of 46 Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
They have a huge roasting pan (it has to be, turkeys run 20-25lbs at MILs). The lid goes on and the sides of the roaster get sealed with tinfoil. Then the burners (it goes over 2) go on low low overnight and it cooks 8-12 hours.
OMG - I am so glad I saw this! I am re-doing my kitchen (tangent - I am re-doing it MYSELF, which I will never ever ever ever do again! If I ever have another huge renovation project, I will wait until I have enough money to pay someone else to do it for me, even if I have to wait a hundred years!!!)

Anyway - my oven won't be working by Thanksgiving, but my stovetop *should* be working by this Friday. I was mourning having to go to a restaurant or something, but now I can do this!!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
#11 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 12:00 AM

We brine our turkey overnight (Alton Brown's recipe) then cook it in the oven. (I'm drooling for turkey and home made cranberry sauce right now.)
#12 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 AM

In the oven. Never ever heard of cooking it on top of the stove. Now one of the Nesco Roaster ovens, those I have.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#13 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 12:13 AM

We started deep frying the turkey about 4 years ago and will never go back. I've never, in my whole life had more delicious turkey than deep fried. It's so juicy and succulent. Mmmmmm!

Plus, my husband does the deep frying outside so I don't have to do a thing to the turkey. I'm sure that adds to my love of the deep fried turkey.
#14 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 12:25 AM

Other: we usually do two small birds, one roasted and one deep fried. The roasted one gets deboned and rolled with stuffing, which has affectionately been dubbed the "turkey worm". This is primarily our left overs bird, because the nicely rolled, boneless, prestuffed turkey pieces are PERFECT for sandwiches (and freeze really when in individual quick to defrost little sandwich bags). I usually debone it the day before and then stuff it and bake it off in the morning. I put all the bones in the roaster (wings, legs, neck, etc) and use the dripping for the gravy (which you don't get with deep fried birds), and the roasted boned for stock.

Can, not, wait!

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#15 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 12:31 AM

Counter top type roaster oven here. Would love to do a deep fried bird but we have a peanut allergy.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#16 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
Other: we usually do two small birds, one roasted and one deep fried. The roasted one gets deboned and rolled with stuffing, which has affectionately been dubbed the "turkey worm".
That sounds great!

This years Thanksgiving turkey will be BBQ'd, and our turkey will be smoked (probably Thanksgiving weekend).

In previous years always in the oven though.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#17 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 12:47 AM

oven.

Deep Fried doesn't sound as healthy to me.

dust.gif
#18 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is a great recipe for food poisoning? Keeping poultry at a low temperature for an extended period of time sounds scary to me.
#19 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic~mama View Post
oven.

Deep Fried doesn't sound as healthy to me.
Neither is the pecan pie, the fatty gravy, the carb laden stuffing, the umpteen pounds of butter in the mashed potatoes, and all the other crap you eat you that day.

Unless of course you eat organic steamed turkey with salad, in which case, what is the point?

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#20 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 AM

We did oven too (my first year cooking a turkey). We brined it before-hand and I think that's why it came out so moist.
#21 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is a great recipe for food poisoning? Keeping poultry at a low temperature for an extended period of time sounds scary to me.
So is raw cookie dough, but they're both soooo tasty I'm willing to take my chances.

obstruct livery vehicles

#22 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
This does not sound any different than cooking at a low temp in the oven.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#23 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 AM

Time-honored tradition of oven cooking.

However, one year our oven wasn't working when we went to put the bird in. I had baked the pies the day before just fine. We grilled the turkey and it was GOOD!

This year will be our fist year eating a free-range, organic, local turkey. We've only cooked Butterballs in the past. I've heard we should brine it, but I don't even know what that means, let alone how to do it......

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#24 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 01:48 AM

Oven. How else do you get the deliciously crisp turkey skin. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#25 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
day before just fine. We grilled the turkey and it was GOOD!

This year will be our fist year eating a free-range, organic, local turkey. We've only cooked Butterballs in the past. I've heard we should brine it, but I don't even know what that means, let alone how to do it......
Us too! We changed our eating a lot this year and now only eat free range ethically treated meats, so we figured we should splurge on a free range organic turkey as well. I can't wait to taste the difference between a fresh organic free range turkey and the usual frozen turkeys we used to eat.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#26 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToKandE View Post
We've done deep fried for the last several years. It's nice because it leaves the oven free for sides but you don't get that nice roasting turkey smell through the house.
If you throw the giblets in a saucepan with onion, water, carrots and celery,and simmer it will give that lovely turkey smell throughout the day. Then you can use the stock for the gravy!
#27 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 11:41 AM

Oven.

But I love deep fried turkeys (seriously, is there anything that isn't better deep fried?) or smoked turkeys. But if I'm cooking, I have to do it in the oven since I don't have a fryer or a smoker.
#28 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
Us too! We changed our eating a lot this year and now only eat free range ethically treated meats, so we figured we should splurge on a free range organic turkey as well. I can't wait to taste the difference between a fresh organic free range turkey and the usual frozen turkeys we used to eat.
Last year was my first humanely grown turkey... what a difference in taste! And the fat! I have a full PINT of fat off that bird. The stock from that carcass is still in my freezer.

Quote:
Last time I cooked a bird in the oven it was at 200 for something like 8 hours. Doesn't sound any riskier, really.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#29 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Last year was my first humanely grown turkey... what a difference in taste! And the fat! I have a full PINT of fat off that bird. The stock from that carcass is still in my freezer.
Got any tips for us first-timers?

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#30 of 46 Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM

I am roasting it in the oven (only the 2nd thanksgiving I have been the cook for) but I know DH would love a deep fried turkey.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page