Ideas to use up a lot of oranges - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got any recipes using oranges?

I'm planning on making candied orange peel to use in a fruitcake recipe. What can I do with all the oranges I'll have to use aside from eating them fresh or as juice?

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 11-18-2009, 03:50 PM

You can make an amazing, easy dessert by tossing slices of orange with Grand Marnier and serving it with ice cream. Not kid friendly, obviously, but really good.
I've also made a carrot-orange soup that was really good.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#3 of 7 Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
You can cook them with whatever other fruits are handy/cheap and then freeze whatever portion you don't want to eat within the next week. Oranges are acidic, so I recommend combining them with some plainer fruits like apples and bananas. Cooked mixed fruit is a great way to use up any pieces of fruit that are past their prime or that somebody took a few bites from and then lost interest. Remove moldy parts and cores, but edible peels can be left on, and parts that are so mushy you wouldn't eat them raw will be just fine when they're cooked. Cut fruit into small chunks. Put in a pot over medium heat. If it seems dry, add a little juice or water. Season with cinnamon, ginger, and maybe a little salt. Taste it and adjust seasoning accordingly; it may need some added sugar or honey. When juice starts to bubble, reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes or until it turns into a nice saucy stuff. Cook with lid on if fruit is very dry or you want a very liquid sauce; otherwise, let the juice boil off for more intense flavor.

We like to eat this with O's cereal and plain yogurt. It also can be used as a topping for ice cream or oatmeal or pancakes, or eaten by itself, or used in a pie or crumble.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#4 of 7 Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

You could make orange marmalade.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

I haven't tried it but since I have a bunch of oranges on my tree that will be ripe next month or I plan on juicing the ones I don't use right away and freezing it for use later on in recipes.
#5 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 AM

How much candied orange peel do you need? I made some a few months ago and i think i used 4 lg oranges and wound up with several cups of candied peel. That's not too many to just eat. Although I also used the juice to candy them.

If you have an excess of oranges though, I've seen a recipe for poached oranges, and one for orange pie. Both were pointed out to me when I asked the question of what to do with tons of oranges last winter. Let me know if you want them and I'll dig them up.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!
#7 of 7 Old 11-22-2009, 02:02 PM

My grocery store sells a mix in for making homemade orange julius "type" drinks. I can't remember the name, though.. I put orange slices in gelatin. You can cover orange slices in chocolate for a gift (dip halfway in).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page