How to preserve lemon zest - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an overachieving, to say the least (177 lemons and counting), dwarf Meyer lemon tree. Since there's no way I can use that many lemons before they go yucky I want to juice them and freeze the juice for later use. I would also love to save the zest as well since I love cooking with it. Any ideas on the best way to preserve it? I've read that freezing it in airtight containers work, or freezing it in vacuum sealed bags or freezing it with some sugar. Does anyone have any experience with this? What worked for you? Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-19-2009, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I would make a sugar syrup, add the lemon zest and freeze in an ice cube tray. Once the cubs are frozen pop them out into a bag.

We have made these preserved lemons as christmas gifts this year http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/j...ipe/index.html
#3 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 AM

Or get some vodka and make limonchello.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#4 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 AM

<jealous>

Measure it out and freeze in ice cube trays with either it's own juice or water (also measured). Usually 1 tsp zest w/ 1 Tbs juice.

If you want to store it in the fridge for a little while, grate it into oil. Don;t store it without some carrier though, it dries out really easily.

ETA - Oh, and zest THEN juice. Juicing then zesting does not work well.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 02:35 AM

When I make lemon curd, I chill the lemons before zesting and then leave them on the counter to warm up. After they are warm, then I roll them on the counter and really work 'em well with my hands. The amount of juice is amazing!

I have frozen the zest in glass airtight containers for future use and they smelled and looked great and the recipes turned out the same.

I get Meyer lemons from two people. One does an excellent job of caring for the tree and growing them. The other does an excellent job using them and sharing her ideas. The second friend taught me to make a lemon syrup and said I can leave it in the fridge in glass containers for up to a year.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#6 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 05:52 AM

zest and then juice the lemons. the zest can be frozen in ice cube trays (part full if you don't want a full cube of zest, or the cubes are easily cut into smaller peices when frozen). If the zest is "juicy" that is, there is some liquid in it, you don't need to add juice, but if it is dry, then you want to add a little lemon juice. you just need enough juice to hold the zest as a cube. When they are frozen pop them in a plastic bag or jar in the freezer.

you can also make preserved lemons with your lemon glut. yummm.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#7 of 7 Old 11-20-2009, 02:13 PM

Oh my mouth is watering!!!

Zest can be dehydrated and will last a LONG time.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page