Vitamins for Toddler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I got some vitamin D drops for my son, and I'd like to get a multi-vitamin. Most of everything I see are chewable vitamins...aren't those bad for their teeth?? Also, the liquid stuff seems to have malitol or some other fake sugar? Does anyone have recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think the chewable or gummy children's multivitamins are necessarily really bad for their teeth. I think it's just like anything else. The ones we use are called Nordic Berries, by Nordic Naturals. I love that brand and know that it's a good quality supplement. There are no artificial sweeteners in it, although there are some natural sweeteners, like cane juice and such. Everything is organic as well. It's a good quality supplement that is easy for toddlers to take. We also do a vitamin D supplement (although only 2-3 times per week because the multi already has 100% RDA in it, and you want to be careful not to overdose on vitamin D as well). We also do a probiotic and a DHA supplement.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 AM

can I also add from personal experience...

don't overdo the supplementing with calcium. Lots of things are calcium fortified, and too much calcium can block magnesium absorbtion....

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-09-2009, 02:33 AM

I had this question too and still haven't really figured anything out. My two toddlers did get a multivit prescription from their ped. but she added flouride to it and im not so sure about giving them flouride like that :/ So I havent been giving them anything and thinking they are getting all they need b/c they are such good eaters but I dont really know? I did give them a Vit D chewable the other day (Natures plus brand) but it made my 3 yo seem more hyper and she was acting out more than normal, a friend of mine has had the same experince with these vit too, not sure if it's the brand or the vit D itself? I'm going to try again with it and see if she acts differently again or if it was just coincidence.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I give my daughter the children's multivitamin from www.mercola.com and she gets supplementary Vit D and A as well. I chose the mercola vitamins because they're one of the only brands I could find without fake sugars and general disgustingness and the vitamins are also made with chelated minerals which means they're more bio-available. Plus, this was one of the only ones I could find with minerals in them at all. We've been really happy with them and my 2 year old loves them.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

User Tag List