Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2009, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
What's not healthy about that?
That's probably one of the healthier options here...of course, I guess it depends what goes in it. My daughter loves the yellow corn grits with a fried egg on top, so I make that for her sometimes, but it's just the grits and water.

We don't really have a Christmas breakfast tradition, but I want to start one. The kids just usually eat their stocking candy and then we heat up dinner leftovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
What's not healthy about that?
In my house, special occasion grits are made with heavy cream. They are sooooooo good.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita67 View Post
Ours is not healthy either, but oh so yummy! I try to convince myself that because it has fruit, it's healthy. Here's a link to the recipe. http://www.recipezaar.com/Georgia-French-Toast-12300 It's lovely with sausage. NOTE: If you do this recipe, it's best prepared the night before.
Wow. That sounds awesome.

Such great stuff here. I want to have several Christmas mornings!

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 AM

well, this is not for the health conscious or vegetarian-and I assure you, we eat this once a year! I typically serve a savory dish and a sweet dish-monkey bread for the kids, and the savory dish is homemade beef hash. We do a prime rib for Christmas eve and the leftovers go into it. I have to say, if you slop a big spoonfool of that on my plate, top it with a sunny side up egg and hand me a bloody mary it's about as close to heaven as it gets.

Then the next day we go skiing to work it off.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:21 PM

For some odd reason nobody is ever hungry here on Christmas morning. So all I have planned is cranberry juice/champagne and the Christmas fruitcake I made in October.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:51 PM

We'll be having grain free banana bread french toast, grain free stuffed french toast, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 12-09-2009, 05:06 PM

I usually invite the grandparents over for brunch on Christmas morning, so I make more dishes than I otherwise would, and this is definitely a once-a-year treat. We have an egg/cheese/sausage casserole, baked French toast casserole, hot spiced fruit, and MIL brings a coffee cake. It's one of my favorite meals to prepare--everything gets made the night before so all I have to do is pop it in the oven on Christmas morning.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-09-2009, 05:21 PM

we're going to be over at the inlaws, so Im thinking of just doing something simple like a low-carb banana bread (nut flour), and maybe a breakfast casserole.
anybody know how an egg-based casserole holds up if i make it the day before? do the eggs turn rubbery?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
Lots of butter, heavy cream and sausage
Nothing there that would place it in the "unhealthy" category for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
That's probably one of the healthier options here...of course, I guess it depends what goes in it.
THat's what I was thinking, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
In my house, special occasion grits are made with heavy cream. They are sooooooo good.
Again - nothing unhealthy there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
well, this is not for the health conscious or vegetarian-and I assure you, we eat this once a year! I typically serve a savory dish and a sweet dish-monkey bread for the kids, and the savory dish is homemade beef hash. We do a prime rib for Christmas eve and the leftovers go into it. I have to say, if you slop a big spoonfool of that on my plate, top it with a sunny side up egg and hand me a bloody mary it's about as close to heaven as it gets.
Again - in the hash, nothing that would make it unhealthy in my mind. The monkey bread - yeah. The hash, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella_stranger View Post
anybody know how an egg-based casserole holds up if i make it the day before? do the eggs turn rubbery?
To serve cold, it's fine. Don't reheat it though, that's what turns it rubbery. Or you can put it together the night before, and bake it that morning.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 PM

I make this
http://www.recipezaar.com/French-Toa...la-Deen-219922
(do not read calorie content...its only once a year right??)
and then a sausage cassorole...which is essentially
A loaf of french bread cut into bite size bits
a roll of sausage browned
about 6-8eggs
a cup or so of milk
and roughly 2cups chedder cheese
Mix all together in a 9by13 pan if you need more liquid (bread should be saturated with a little extra "goo" to soak in through the night) add another egg and some more milk.
cover and refriderate over night, pull out the next am and let "sit" and warm for about 45min andthen bake at 350 degrees until "cooked" through and crusty and golden on top...truly its heaven.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 PM

We host Christmas morning here with my mom and aunt. The plan for breakfast this year is pancakes (always a staple!), bacon and/or sausage (probably both since my mom and aunt only like bacon and me and the kids only like sausage, dh will eat anything), two fruit salads (one with cool whip for dh and one regular for the rest of us) and probably eggs. I'm also considering doing a breakfast casserole of some kind, but I'm not sure. Served with coffee and orange juice.

Mama of three.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 PM

So I decided I'm going to make stuffed baked almond flour waffles. Waffles, creamcheese, berries... what's not to love!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
Old 12-12-2009, 12:54 AM

We have our Christmas traditions/favorites and my grown kids keep adding to it! This year it is scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, yogurt with granola and berries, banana bread, pumpkin bread, monkey bread, sausage, mimosas, juice and hot chocolate. I have a feeling we will be eating all day! I'd like to pare it down and I love the idea of hot spiced fruit someone mentioned. Does anyone have a recipe for this?
Old 12-12-2009, 01:13 AM

Can someone break down how they make the cinnamon rolls homemade? yum! (for someone who doesn't normally make bread)
Old 12-12-2009, 02:37 AM

We typically have easy foods for the first meal of the day while opening presents. Lately it has been bagels with butter (some of us) or cream cheese (others).

Then, we fix a breakfast, brunch, or lunch - depends on the type of food we all want by then.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 12-12-2009, 03:24 AM

We always make an asparagus, ham casserole the night before then just pop it in the oven in the morning (I can give the recipe if anyone wants it). We also have fresh fruit. Every year I think about also making cinnamon rolls but haven't done it yet.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
Can someone break down how they make the cinnamon rolls homemade? yum! (for someone who doesn't normally make bread)
I would post the recipe I have, except it's packed right now. If I can find it before Christmas, I will post it, lol! It's one I got from MDC several years ago from another poster, can't remember her name. It is the BEST recipe I've ever had, and I've had lots. I don't know if a search of the N&GE forums would produce anything or not.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I make something super yummy and (not at all) healthy, cinnamon rolls. They are ooey, gooey, soft, sweet, sticky, and SO GOOD! Not at all good for you, but again, I make them once or twice a year, so who really cares. I make them all up the day before, pop the unbaked rolls in the fridge, and on Christmas morning, I pull them out in time to warm up and rise for breakfast. We like to open our gifts while we are waiting on the rolls. If the kids are super persuasive, I might make another batch on New Year's Eve for breakfast on New Year's Day. Otherwise, they have to wait until the next Christmas.
This is exactly what we do also. Our girls all get oranges in their stockings and we eat those with our breakfast also - that's the healthy part! I only make cinnamon buns on Christmas morning. We all love it and look forward to it all year.

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I make something super yummy and (not at all) healthy, cinnamon rolls. They are ooey, gooey, soft, sweet, sticky, and SO GOOD! Not at all good for you, but again, I make them once or twice a year, so who really cares. I make them all up the day before, pop the unbaked rolls in the fridge, and on Christmas morning, I pull them out in time to warm up and rise for breakfast. We like to open our gifts while we are waiting on the rolls. If the kids are super persuasive, I might make another batch on New Year's Eve for breakfast on New Year's Day. Otherwise, they have to wait until the next Christmas.
We have cinnamon rolls every christmas morning! Not the healthiest, but it's one day a year.
Gardenmommy - we do exactly like you do - make them tne night before, put them in the fridge, then pull them out in the morning to rise and cook!

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.

User Tag List