Christmas Morning Breakfast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for ideas...what r u having? I found a recipe for EGG NOGG Panacakes with cranberry sauce...sounds good but I would like something a little healthier...IDK...I would love to hear your menus!!!

High raw Vegans Mommy to 5!!
#2 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 AM

I usually do a breakfast casserole of some type. Which usually isn't very healthy. But I only make something like this about twice a year. Christmas and Easter.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 11:35 AM

Our's isn't healthy either.

Used to be Red Velvet Cake or sometimes Swedish tea ring.

Will probably be Swedish tea ring this year if dh gets around to making it.

If not, I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#4 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM

We also normally do a Sausage Strata. You can make these a little more healthy by using less cheese (or using low/no fat dairy), not adding the sausage and adding more veggies.

Here is one we made with veggies and sausage. It's nice because I always prepare it the night before. Then on Christmas morning all you have to do is pop it into the oven.

-Rachel

#5 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM

We've done a breakfast casserole (hashbrowns, sausage, peppers, onions and cheese) but we normally do bagels with cream cheese and lox of salami.
#6 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 AM

I make a Christmas morning casserole. My dp looks forward to it all season! We'll be at the ILs this year and he already told his mom to make sure to get the ingredient list for me so I can make it up Christmas Eve night. I might make 2 (one for my vegetarian dp and one with meat). I usually serve it with muffins and mimosas and good, strong coffee.

The best thing about this casserole is that I make it the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. It bakes and makes the house smell fantastic while we drink coffee and open prezzies.

There are a lot of online recipes for Christmas Breakfast (or Brunch) casserole but mine is generally shredded potatoes (and zuccini and carrots, if I have them on hand), tons of cheese and eggs and milk. Like a crustless quiche. Meat eaters love a little ham or sausage or bacon in there as well.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#7 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 PM

I make something super yummy and (not at all) healthy, cinnamon rolls. They are ooey, gooey, soft, sweet, sticky, and SO GOOD! Not at all good for you, but again, I make them once or twice a year, so who really cares. I make them all up the day before, pop the unbaked rolls in the fridge, and on Christmas morning, I pull them out in time to warm up and rise for breakfast. We like to open our gifts while we are waiting on the rolls. If the kids are super persuasive, I might make another batch on New Year's Eve for breakfast on New Year's Day. Otherwise, they have to wait until the next Christmas.
#8 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 12:10 PM

Dh's family does breakfast casserole, with bread, milk, eggs, ham for the meat eaters, fake ham for us veggies, maple syrup somewhere in there and then crushed cornflakes on top...gotta say we hate it lol

Now that we do xmas at home we're not sure what we'll be eating. Last year we picked at crackers dips and things.

This year it depends. If In-laws are going to the fams xmas eve or staying in town until xmas day(they live next door so if they are here xmas morning is done together.

Bagels
cream cheese
peanut butter
deviled eggs
fruit salad
crackers/dips(hummus/funky jelly)
goats milk cheese

Then in-laws will bring kabosa(sp) or some kind of meat for them

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#9 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I make something super yummy and (not at all) healthy, cinnamon rolls. They are ooey, gooey, soft, sweet, sticky, and SO GOOD! Not at all good for you, but again, I make them once or twice a year, so who really cares. I make them all up the day before, pop the unbaked rolls in the fridge, and on Christmas morning, I pull them out in time to warm up and rise for breakfast. We like to open our gifts while we are waiting on the rolls.
This is what I'm doing this year! I already can't wait!

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#10 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 12:34 PM

I really want to start a family tradition. I am thinking some kind of breakfast casserole, I have a recipe for an Eggs Benedict casserole that looks (to me) really yummy. Don't know if my family would like it, though. And also a baked good, cinnamon rolls or monkey bread maybe...?

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
#11 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 01:19 PM

We either do a breakfast casserole or bagels with smoked salmon. If it's the casserole, we have biscuits on the side, too. I rarely buy juice, so that's a treat, too.
#12 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
This is what I'm doing this year! I already can't wait!
Us too!

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#13 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 05:30 PM

Wow this thread is making me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elecampane View Post
I have a recipe for an Eggs Benedict casserole that looks (to me) really yummy.
Oh, please share!

-Rachel

#14 of 50 Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 PM

I think we are doing mini ham quiches, spinach quiche with rolls and hot chocolate.
Maybe crescent rolls?

We eat a lot of oranges, baked goods and sweets on Christmas day.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#15 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 AM

I made bagels last year, and I plan on making it a tradition. In the early afternoon we go over to my parents, and last year I brought a box of bagels with me too, they were a hit! They are a little time consuming, but easy to make. Well worth the effort!!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Boiled-Bagels/Detail.aspx
#16 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
I make something super yummy and (not at all) healthy, cinnamon rolls. They are ooey, gooey, soft, sweet, sticky, and SO GOOD! Not at all good for you, but again, I make them once or twice a year, so who really cares. I make them all up the day before, pop the unbaked rolls in the fridge, and on Christmas morning, I pull them out in time to warm up and rise for breakfast. We like to open our gifts while we are waiting on the rolls. If the kids are super persuasive, I might make another batch on New Year's Eve for breakfast on New Year's Day. Otherwise, they have to wait until the next Christmas.
I make sticky buns using my regular bread recipe (flour, water, yeast, salt). I refrigerate it over night, roll it out, spread it with a maple syrup and molasses mixture and raisins, roll it up and cut it into slices and place the slices into a pan that has the bottom covered in the syrup molasses mixture along with loads of raisins and walnuts. It's really good, and it has no added oils, refined sugar, and I use part whole wheat flour. AND they are really good. It's actually what I will likely make for Christmas breakfast. We usually do sticky buns or my mom's homemade peanut butter granola or my dad's muffins along with lots of fresh fruits.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#17 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 AM

monkey bread here. we are doing it without the canned biscuits this year.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#18 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnda527 View Post
I made bagels last year, and I plan on making it a tradition. In the early afternoon we go over to my parents, and last year I brought a box of bagels with me too, they were a hit! They are a little time consuming, but easy to make. Well worth the effort!!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Boiled-Bagels/Detail.aspx
Mmmmm. I am thinking about making those for Solstice now.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#19 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always make a "yule pile" for Christmas morning. It's basically a bunch of pastries, stacked one on top of the other. It's great because the kids can snack on it throughout the morning (each kid gets their own).

ETA: This site explains it better, in the section labeled "Scandanavia"
http://www.womensnet.com/magazine/ar...raditions.html

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#20 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 01:22 AM

This Christmas it will be a breakfast casserole with...

eggs and butter
bread cubes
crushed unsweetened pinneapple
cubed ham
diced onions

I like sweet/savory combos...hhmmmmm.....maybe i'll add some currants?

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#21 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 AM

Ours isn't healthy either but we only have it Christmas Day! We've been making this breakfast since I was a kid. We look forward to it all year. This whole year I've been having gut problems I kept thinking I just wanted to get well enough to eat this meal haha

Warm home made cinnamon rolls (with home made dough and all. the kids like the nut-free one, us adults like the gooey nut topping) mmmmm
Scrambled eggs
Sausage
OJ
Coffee

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#22 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 AM

Ours isn't healthy, either, but again, I only make it once a year. I make shrimp and grits and it is fabulous.

, , , and
#23 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 AM

I put 2 pieces of fruit in the kids stockings (which are opened first)... and are eaten before we move onto tree presents... after that then i might do cinnamon rolls (from a can - i know i know...) or just have bagles and such out. I did make a casserol last year - which i may or may not try again this year

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#24 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 02:05 AM

We have a french toast casserole that is baked in the oven and my husband has to have his bacon. I use a nice loaf of bread from the bakery or brioches if I can find them.

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#25 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 AM

Ours is not healthy either, but oh so yummy! I try to convince myself that because it has fruit, it's healthy. Here's a link to the recipe. http://www.recipezaar.com/Georgia-French-Toast-12300 It's lovely with sausage. NOTE: If you do this recipe, it's best prepared the night before.
#26 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarnes View Post
Ours isn't healthy, either, but again, I only make it once a year. I make shrimp and grits and it is fabulous.
What's not healthy about that?

We've been having the same Xmas breakfast my entire life, and I'm not about to change it now, even though we don't even celebrate... Steak and eggs, biscuits and gravy. Even when times were tough and money was tight we still always had this breakfast.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#27 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
fresh squeezed Oj
chicken apple sausage
scrambled eggs
blueberry muffins

I love Christmas morning!
#28 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
What's not healthy about that?
Lots of butter, heavy cream and sausage

, , , and
#29 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! It all sounds sooo yummy! I think we are going to do this:

Steak
eggs
biscuits
Gravy
fruit salad

High raw Vegans Mommy to 5!!
#30 of 50 Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 AM

We have a tradition of making dozens of pans of cinnamon rolls a couple weeks before Christmas & freezing them. A couple days before the holidays, we start gifting them to the kids teachers & school secretaries, my massage clients, family & friends. Christmas morning I throw a pan in the oven as the coffee is brewing. The kids always get an orange from Santa in the foot of their stockings so they snack on that until the rolls are warmed up and we feast on the ooey gooey goodness and sip warm drinks while opening presents. I get the best stories from others who warm our rolls up for their families or the secretary who gets up before dawn on Christmas to have her cinnamon roll & tea alone before the busy day begins. What a great treat it is!

Sara Hernstrom, CMT Mama to River & Maya

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page