Foods you loved as a kid that are no longer sold - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2 3  4  ... Last
Nutrition and Good Eating > Foods you loved as a kid that are no longer sold
chattyprincess's Avatar chattyprincess 12:40 AM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
gummy trolls! little troll shaped fruit snacks. I remember having them when I got home from kindergarten. the head would be one color and the feet another color.
Omg! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by em123 View Post
Under Cover Bears! It was oatmeal with gummy bears in it, when you added the hot water the bears came out of hiding. Mmmm warm gummy bears for breakfast!
Again...YES! My dd now loves the dino eggs...so not the same.

puffingirl's Avatar puffingirl 01:15 AM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_bebe View Post
I remember the peanut butter boppers. My faves were Carnation Instant Breakfast bars, the *ORIGINAL* Whatchamacallit, and Cheez-Waffies. The latter was available in certain markets, but is now pretty rare on the East Coast by some Wise factories, but not in the entire Wise service area. So I guess I should move back to NJ.
Me too! The Cheez Waffies are still around in rare spots. My mom sometimes spots them and sends me a package. The neon orange filling is as good as ever. I can eat the whole bag in a sitting... And those Carnation bars were so good--just a little crumbly in the middle.
vbactivist's Avatar vbactivist 01:31 AM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffingirl View Post
Me too! The Cheez Waffies are still around in rare spots. My mom sometimes spots them and sends me a package. The neon orange filling is as good as ever. I can eat the whole bag in a sitting... And those Carnation bars were so good--just a little crumbly in the middle.

http://www.crossroads-market.com/pro...153&variation=
olien's Avatar olien 01:36 AM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynsage View Post
Planter's Cheez Balls...I bet they stopped making them because they were making people grow extra heads or something but I don't care, I would buy them in a SECOND if I saw them again...

imagining my shopping cart full of dark leafy greens, organic eggs, lentils, avocadoes, whole wheat pasta and an entire CASE of Planter's Cheez Balls
I still look for them......hoping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
Quisp cereal. With the little alien cartoon on the box.
I have 4 of the alien magnets on my fridge right now

Marathon bars. It was who knows what covered in chocolate... 2 thin strips kind of braided together...

DH misses toaster pizzas he had as a kid.
Martha27's Avatar Martha27 01:46 AM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
I really loved Clearly Canadian too. They still make it, I've seen it in my grocery store. But it comes in a plastic bottle now and only like 2-3 flavors. When I was a kid I remember there were a ton of flavors to choose from. One of my favorites was Green Apple. My dad used to take me to the corner market to pick out something to drink when we delivered the Sunday paper together. I always picked a Clearly Canadian.
They still make it! I'm going to have to look more carefully to see if we have it around here. Although, I don't know as it would be the same if it wasn't in a funny shaped glass bottle
dogmom327's Avatar dogmom327 02:38 AM 12-10-2009
Not me but DH is very sad over no longer being able to find "Big Sticks" which apparently are some sort of Popsicle.
Vancouver Mommy's Avatar Vancouver Mommy 03:09 AM 12-10-2009
Chocolate Koogle. It was a Kraft product made with peanut butter and other delightful things swirled into it.
Krisis's Avatar Krisis 03:54 AM 12-10-2009
Oh they changed the Spaghettios! That makes more sense. I ate a can the other day and almost threw up they were so gross. I was like, "how did I EAT these as a kid?!"

Fanta Red Cream Soda. Omg. So good. They have Fanta soda now, but it's not anywhere near the same as Red Cream. I remember when they started becoming scarce... I was 10, and I had 2 cans with me at school and some kid bought one from me for $2.

I wish I hadn't sold it and kept it because now I waaaant some waaaah!!!
redhotmama's Avatar redhotmama 11:12 AM 12-10-2009
Keebler used to make flour tortilla chips that were SO good. The only problem was that you had to choose between cinnamon sugar and spicy cheese, the dilema usually drove you to purchase both. I look for them every time I go to a new grocery store, hoping that they're still made.

Isn't there a musuem for discontinued food products?
amma_mama's Avatar amma_mama 12:30 PM 12-10-2009
Space Food Sticks - they came in chocolate or peanut butter, chewy sticks that we were sure that astronauts ate for sure!

Uno bars - do they still make those?

Chocolate pudding in an individual-sized can (I think Del Monte) - it had a certain taste that, for some reason, I loved...once in a while I have a pudding that has a hint of that old flavor, whatever it was...now I make my own fron scratch which I love, but still that old flavor lingers...

I am sure that there are others that I will spend the rest of the day longing for!!!
HappyFox05's Avatar HappyFox05 12:45 PM 12-10-2009
Breyer's vanilla, before they started adding guar gum & whatever else is in there now. Ironic, since they used to have the commercial w/the little boy struggling to read the competitor's ingredients, but the Breyer's ingredients were something like "cream, sugar, vanilla beans".
oiseau's Avatar oiseau 12:47 PM 12-10-2009
I loved the oatmeal that came with the fruit sauce to draw with!
I used to love Jello 123, but they quit making it.
For the past couple weeks, I've been really missing this cereal I used to LOVE as a kid. I have no idea what it was called, but it was little mini-wheat type things with fruit filling inside. The best was the strawberry and the raspberry. I think they also had gross flavors like raisin. I have no idea why they stopped making it...it was so good!
I know there are probably tons more that I can't think of off the top of my head.

We used to get a ton of stuff from Schwann's. My mom still does occasionally. Their ice cream is the best non-homemade ice cream I've ever had. Their rainbow sherbert is so yummy!! And they have the best frozen chicken fingers ever. mmm.
HappyFox05's Avatar HappyFox05 12:50 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffingirl View Post
Me too! The Cheez Waffies are still around in rare spots. My mom sometimes spots them and sends me a package. The neon orange filling is as good as ever. I can eat the whole bag in a sitting... And those Carnation bars were so good--just a little crumbly in the middle.
Mmm, Cheez Waffies. Another benefit of growing up in NJ. Still available in this part of VA - maybe I'll get some today!

I had no idea they stopped making the instant breakfast bars!
kjbrown92's Avatar kjbrown92 12:56 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
PM me your address, Kathy, and I may be able to send you some. (Can you even eat it?)
Nah, I can't eat it anyway. But thanks! My grandmother used to get them just at Christmas so it was a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
you can still get crunch-n-munch, chocolate pop tarts and fun dips
I don't even look at those sections of the supermarket anymore since we can't eat them anyway. Glad to know some of it is still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olien View Post
Marathon bars. It was who knows what covered in chocolate... 2 thin strips kind of braided together....
There was a store I got a few things from a few years back for my brothers. It was like nostalgic candy store or something like that. I think they had marathon bars, and sky bars, and that gum that was shaped like little gold nuggets in a burlap bag....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFox05 View Post
Breyer's vanilla, before they started adding guar gum & whatever else is in there now. Ironic, since they used to have the commercial w/the little boy struggling to read the competitor's ingredients, but the Breyer's ingredients were something like "cream, sugar, vanilla beans".
poly... poly... "that's polysorbate 80, Johnny"
Elecampane's Avatar Elecampane 04:11 PM 12-10-2009
Milk Break Bars. Supposedly high in calcium, really just a glorified chocolate bar. When we moved to a different state in 1985 and could not find these, my grandmother used to send them to us.

I also loved the oatmeal you could draw in.
Princess ConsuelaB's Avatar Princess ConsuelaB 05:09 PM 12-10-2009
Just thought of another one...O'Boise potato chips, gawd I loved those.
LianneM's Avatar LianneM 05:19 PM 12-10-2009
Crystal Pepsi! Loved that stuff.

I also loved Clearly Canadian - peach flavor was my fave but I also liked black raspberry or something like that. Mmmmm
puffingirl's Avatar puffingirl 05:22 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post

AAAAHHHH!!!!! Must update holiday wish list immediately!
buckeye_bebe's Avatar buckeye_bebe 05:23 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
For the past couple weeks, I've been really missing this cereal I used to LOVE as a kid. I have no idea what it was called, but it was little mini-wheat type things with fruit filling inside. The best was the strawberry and the raspberry. I think they also had gross flavors like raisin. I have no idea why they stopped making it...it was so good!
There used to be a Raisin Squares/Wheats cereal, which was filled with raisin, but I distinctly remember an apple and a strawberry filled shredded wheat. I think it was called Fruit Wheats? I only remember that because I hate shredded wheat, so I'd just crack them in half with my teeth and scrape out the apple, like a poor-man's fig newton. Glad to see that cereal made someone happy out there as it was making me miserable. I swear I'll lose my mind if Cocoa Puffs ever leave the market.
JElaineB's Avatar JElaineB 05:33 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
Quisp cereal. With the little alien cartoon on the box.

I had no idea they stopped making Planters Cheez Balls!
I loved Quisp too! You can still buy it online from Quaker or from resellers, but it is kinda expensive for cereal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_bebe View Post
I remember the peanut butter boppers. My faves were Carnation Instant Breakfast bars, the *ORIGINAL* Whatchamacallit, and Cheez-Waffies. The latter was available in certain markets, but is now pretty rare on the East Coast by some Wise factories, but not in the entire Wise service area. So I guess I should move back to NJ.
I also loved the Carnation Instant Breakfast bars. I forgot about them until I saw this thread.
LZP's Avatar LZP 05:45 PM 12-10-2009
Immediately, my childhood favorite popped into my head. Jello Pudding Pops. I think maybe once in the last 4 years, my DH and I have found them in a grocery store during summer. they were not the same. smaller, and the icy coating on the outside wasn't thick enough to bite off.

How I miss those. Fudgecicles... just a sad second.
Teenytoona's Avatar Teenytoona 05:53 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
I think they still make this, but not near me... Big Red or something like that... a carbonated bright red soda that tasted similar to an overly-sugared root beer or cream soda.
I'vebeen seeing Big Red in stores lately. IN fact I tend to bring it to Christmas Eve at my sister's house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha27 View Post
I just remembered what used to be my absolute fav drink- "Clearly Canadian". It came in wierd shaped bottles and was like a sparkling soda in flavors like black cherry and raspberry? I loved that stuff! Anyone else remember this stuff?
OH yeah, Loved that stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZP View Post
Immediately, my childhood favorite popped into my head. Jello Pudding Pops. I think maybe once in the last 4 years, my DH and I have found them in a grocery store during summer. they were not the same. smaller, and the icy coating on the outside wasn't thick enough to bite off.

How I miss those. Fudgecicles... just a sad second.
Yes!!!! Jello Pudding Pops were the absolute best. I wonder if you could make them yourself with pudding mix?? Wanna try? I think I might!

What else - oh does anyone remember somethign that was like a fruit roll-up, formed into a tube, with some ooey-gooey fruity stuff inside? It reminds me of taking those iowa basics tests. LOL

Teddy Grahams - the cereal, chocolate. They were the only cereal I would consider eating when soggy, they tasted just like soaked too long oreos.
yentroc's Avatar yentroc 06:22 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZP View Post
Immediately, my childhood favorite popped into my head. Jello Pudding Pops. I think maybe once in the last 4 years, my DH and I have found them in a grocery store during summer. they were not the same. smaller, and the icy coating on the outside wasn't thick enough to bite off.

How I miss those. Fudgecicles... just a sad second.
I was just going through the thread to see if anyone was going to say Jello Pudding Pops. LOVED those!
sparkygirl74's Avatar sparkygirl74 06:26 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyprincess View Post
Duh how could I forget...
There used to be a pharmacy(thrifty's) near us in california that had an icecream scoop counter. they hadthis ice cream "chocolate malted crunch" YUMMMY!!! chocolate ice cream with little malted bits throughtout...yumm.
I think they still sell it, don't they? It is my little sister's favorite!
chattyprincess's Avatar chattyprincess 07:06 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkygirl74 View Post
I think they still sell it, don't they? It is my little sister's favorite!
SERIOUSLY!?!?! I no longer live in cali but wasn't thrifty's bought out ???
nolansmummy's Avatar nolansmummy 08:45 PM 12-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
I loved the oatmeal that came with the fruit sauce to draw with!
I used to love Jello 123, but they quit making it.
For the past couple weeks, I've been really missing this cereal I used to LOVE as a kid. I have no idea what it was called, but it was little mini-wheat type things with fruit filling inside. The best was the strawberry and the raspberry. I think they also had gross flavors like raisin. I have no idea why they stopped making it...it was so good!

.
Jello 123 is so good, i think i saw a generic version in the grocery the other day, but i don't eat gelatin anymore
I had completely forgot about the mini wheat cereal, it was so good. My mom wouldn't let me get any cereal that had like over 11 g of sugar or something, and this one was over. I would buy it when i had my own money to spend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amma_mama View Post
Chocolate pudding in an individual-sized can (I think Del Monte) - it had a certain taste that, for some reason, I loved...once in a while I have a pudding that has a hint of that old flavor, whatever it was...now I make my own fron scratch which I love, but still that old flavor lingers...

I am sure that there are others that I will spend the rest of the day longing for!!!
Yummy, chocolate pudding in a can. You had to be careful when you licked the lid, i was always scared i was going to slice off my tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha27 View Post
I just remembered what used to be my absolute fav drink- "Clearly Canadian". It came in wierd shaped bottles and was like a sparkling soda in flavors like black cherry and raspberry? I loved that stuff! Anyone else remember this stuff?
Raspberry cream, my favorite. I could only get it in ohio up until a few years ago, but here they still sell the blackberry but it's hard to find, and way more expensive now.
williamsmommy2002's Avatar williamsmommy2002 01:18 AM 12-11-2009
Thrifty's was bought by Rite Aid but it is still sold there.
LiLStar's Avatar LiLStar 01:24 AM 12-11-2009
Ha, I was just at big lots today and they had clearly canadian for .70! I thought of this thread and bought 3 they had one raspberry cream left and i snatched it up, and got a couple kiwi limes. Those were the only flavors.
nicolelynn 03:21 AM 12-11-2009
Jello Pudding Pops!!
lonegirl's Avatar lonegirl 01:57 PM 12-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha27 View Post
I just remembered what used to be my absolute fav drink- "Clearly Canadian". It came in wierd shaped bottles and was like a sparkling soda in flavors like black cherry and raspberry? I loved that stuff! Anyone else remember this stuff?
MMMMM Clearly Canadian was a fave of mine!!!
1  2 3  4  ... Last

Up